Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Sony XAV-60 Installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 01:45 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Default Sony XAV-60 Installed

When I purchased my 08 GT, I budgeted $1500 to fix her up. The first mod was a "no brainer" in my book, C&L intake with brenspeed tune (which I couldn't be happier with btw)...so there goes $600. I also wanted a couple things for appearance which came up to about $400...up to a grand, $500 to go.
The stock 500 shaker system was cool for my tastes, but the head unit left something to be desired and I needed a touchscreen in my life. But I've only got $500 and don't want some Dual POS, so its time to stretch the budget right? Not so fast my friend....meet the Sony XAV-60
Install was easy with the pac harness, that will set you back about $65, but worth every penny come time to install. Soldered up the harness last night with a bud of mine and put the unit in this morning. Plugged her up and it was all gravey with one exception. At low volume I kept hearing something like a commercial with a guy talking...WTF? Turned out it was a sirrus signal coming through the head. Simple solution for me, I just unplugged the sat radio ant under my trunk, and it was gone. Not a subscriber, not a problem for me.
Now when I say gravey, I mean it guys...sounds good, looks good, easy bypass and Ipod worked and sounded great. I was really impressed with the sound when watching a dvd, sony nailed the simulated surround and it sounds better than in my house...lol.
When I researched this unit, I found lots of comments in regard to how slow the unit was with the ipod...well it is and it aint. Alot of the time I just play all my music in shuffle mode, and when doing this within a playlist, the speed is fine. You hit next and boom, next song. It's when you are looking for a particular file that it gets slow, but its not that bad. Organize your Ipod and you will not have any problem with the speed. Who know's, maybe sony will have a firmware update one day that will help speed it up.
Bottom line, I'm a happy camper and would recommend it to anyone wanting to upgrade their stock unit and not spend over $500 doing so.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Unsullied_Spy
1st Gear Member

That looks good in there, thanks for sharing! I'm looking to replace my tired 6 disc changer with a touchscreen but don't have $1,200 for an Alpine and I want something that jives well with the dash, that Sony looks good!
Old 08-23-2010, 05:54 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

That was exactly my thinking going into this spy. Still on the gravey train to date...nothing but smiles everytime I turn it on. Really dressed up the stang on the inside and looks very nice at night.

Last edited by mayo; 08-23-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:31 AM
Unsullied_Spy
1st Gear Member

That looks really good in there! It's hard to find an aftermarket head unit that fits nicely with stock interior. I put an Alpine CDE-102 in my '04 Subaru Legacy and it's a great deck but doesn't look quite right.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:56 AM
mondo73
2nd Gear Member

Are you running the speakers of the Shaker 500 on the Sony deck or the Shaker 500 amp?
Unit looks awesome.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:29 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

I believe with the pac harness you retain all factory functions, you are just replacing head unit. All shaker 500 speakers and amps appear to be functioning like they were originally. Its not going to win any awards sound wise, but for a factory head replacement it sounds pretty good. You have to get in there and dail it in and the sony has the controls to do it. With the correct speaker replacements it would kick ***! That might be my next task if the head unit holds up....so far, so good.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:11 PM
R1nStang
2nd Gear Member

is this the pac harness you ordered? I'm wanting to upgrade the headunit because of all the skipping and "bad disk errors" i keep getting. but want to retain the subs and door speakers for when i go after market. Is there anything specific i need to look for in an aftermarket head unit in order to keep the shaker 500 speakers and subs all working correctly? and thats a clean install with that HU. I may have to just save up and get that one haha
http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=28
Old 08-31-2010, 09:31 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

This is the harness I used:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127C2RF...e.html?tp=3486

Go to Crutchfield and outfit your stang, they will tell you everything needed for a particular headunit....Crutchfield is top-shelf!

Just ordered the Sony RC200IPV cord for video and noticed everyone has raised the price on the headunit....lol.

Timing is everything, I guess
Old 08-31-2010, 10:36 AM
R1nStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mayo
This is the harness I used:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127C2RF...e.html?tp=3486

Go to Crutchfield and outfit your stang, they will tell you everything needed for a particular headunit....Crutchfield is top-shelf!

Just ordered the Sony RC200IPV cord for video and noticed everyone has raised the price on the headunit....lol.

Timing is everything, I guess
ok cool thanks. I been looking at crutchfield. thought i seen the PAC harness cheaper elsewhere but I was looking at the wrong PAC harness. now to just start saving up haha

Last edited by R1nStang; 08-31-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:10 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Nice bike R1...this be me.

If you order the headunit from Crutch, the harnless is 1/2 price

Quick Reply: Sony XAV-60 Installed