Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

New speakers- Focal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 10:40 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Default New speakers- Focal?

Currently making the jump to digital by buying an iPod Touch, and also swapping out the HU for a Pioneer AVH-p4200dvd. I think my next upgrade will be speakers, but curious what way I should go with. Mostly interested in sound quality for the highs, because I currently have the Shaker 1000 subs to cover the lows, and want to upgrade to a JL 13"W6 when I get a bit more play money.

Would the Focal 570-CA1 be a good option? I can get a set of 4 for 358$ shipped. Also, I see the 570-CV1 speakers, but the only difference I see is a slight frequency difference, woofer material difference, and construction looks a bit different. Would that justify their extra cost? CV1's would be like 470$ for all 4 :/

http://www.focal-america.com/category/speakers/

Or should I look at another brand?

Thanks
Old 09-13-2010, 01:17 PM
neo8222
4th Gear Member

the main difference between the two seems to just be that the woofer cone construction, i think the idea is the polyglass is supposed to be stronger and more durable and a side affect is a slight loss of lower Hz but is supposed to reproduce sounds better. personally i dont think it's worth the major price increase but that's me. if you do consider the polyglass keep in mind a good sub can get well over 100Hz so you will have plenty of overlap room.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:02 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by neo8222
the main difference between the two seems to just be that the woofer cone construction, i think the idea is the polyglass is supposed to be stronger and more durable and a side affect is a slight loss of lower Hz but is supposed to reproduce sounds better. personally i dont think it's worth the major price increase but that's me. if you do consider the polyglass keep in mind a good sub can get well over 100Hz so you will have plenty of overlap room.
Thanks for the info confirmation. Yeah, I will probably opt for the cheaper of the 2 because an extra 170$ is a good bit and can be put towards something else, instead of a set of speakers that I probably wouldn't notice a differece with.

Question #2. What do you think about replacing the 8" mids in the doors? I'm thinking either using Kcker CVT shallows, but I won't really need that small of bass when I get the sub in back, or a set of Focal 8" coaxials? I haven't seen anyone put speakers in that location, but also, I don't think 8" coaxials are very common. Would obviously also remove the factory amp and replace it with a small 2channel amp putting out like 80-90w per channel...
Old 09-13-2010, 11:13 PM
neo8222
4th Gear Member

im not sure how your year models speakers size/type is set up, but with new edges components up front and coaxials out back are the usual setup. a good 4 channel amp can send full range to the components up front and the remote mount crossover will do the work to get the right frequencies to the woofer/tweeter for the set and the coaxials are all built into the unit so again it can for the most part be set up at full range.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:39 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Yea, I'd rather keep it simple and stay away from components. Been there, done that, got that headache.

Here's what I was thinking...?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 09-14-2010, 01:59 PM
AudioNutz
2nd Gear Member

If the source is an iPod, your potential for high quality sound just got cut in half. Buy the cheapest speakers that you can find, so that you don't hear all of the compression artifacts.

Did either of you actually listen to any of these speakers, or is all of this just speculation?
Old 09-14-2010, 02:32 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AudioNutz
If the source is an iPod, your potential for high quality sound just got cut in half. Buy the cheapest speakers that you can find, so that you don't hear all of the compression artifacts.

Did either of you actually listen to any of these speakers, or is all of this just speculation?
Where would you suggest that I "listen to speakers"?
Old 09-14-2010, 03:24 PM
AudioNutz
2nd Gear Member

One usually does so at a retail store that sells such devices, or at a Sound Off competition.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:31 AM
neo8222
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AudioNutz
One usually does so at a retail store that sells such devices, or at a Sound Off competition.
well not everyone lives in a area where that's possible. for instance in my area there's a best buy and that's about it for audio stores (if you can even call it such) that actually have have speakers hooked up to listen to and your not even allowed to bring in your own music either. the true audio stores don't have a show room and the ones that used to have since gone out of business with all the bad times on the gulf coast. I'm not even sure there's a "sound off" within 200 miles of me either. wish there was, would make it soooo much easier to pick out components for systems.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:35 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I live in the Appalachin Mountains, we have a Walmart.

Quick Reply: New speakers- Focal?