Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

06 PAC C2R-FRD1 wiring harness help

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:29 AM
mnemonic

Originally Posted by Iskwezm
Why cant any of you guys be local??? I have put in about 5 or 6 of these in freinds cars and none of them did this.

The only thing i need checked is the acc. input voltage in and out as well as the constant 12v when the power drops.I havent been able to verify this issue so its hard to replicate as well as verify it for the engineers.

For turn on pop, use a 1000-1500 ohm resistor on the blue/white from the radio to the amp turn on.
Sweeeeet I got about 5000 of those resistors, i will be putting one in today, but before i do, i brought the car to work w/ me so i can do a voltage check across ACC/+12v/+5v. I have a 4 channel Ocilliscope, i will tell you EXACTLY what is happening when ACC drops, using it as a trigger. I think there is a way to output a screenshot from the scope, but never done it before.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:40 AM
mnemonic

Here is a snapshot of the failure: Yellow is +12v (NOTICE: 15v while car is running, failure only occasinaly happens when car was @ 12v/engine off, but ALWAYS hapens when car is running/alternator charging). Green is AMP switch wire (+5v). Red is ACC out. Notice how when the bass hit the +5v jumped up to 11v (IE Voltage regulator failure) then dropped to 0v, at the same time ACC drops to 3v.

In conclusion I feel the voltage regulator is failing due to high input voltage from the alternator, or it cannot handle the draw of the amps (only front subs was plugged in to the +5v at this point.)
Old 11-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Thanks for calling in Richard.Im sooooo glad you knew how to test what was being asked.I had so many calls this morning from backyard installers i was beating my keyboard.

for those having the same issue, you need to put a diode on the amp turn on wire so it doesnt feed back to the module.The cathode (stripe)will be towards the amplifier

Let me know if theres anymore issues.
Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2010, 11:13 PM
mnemonic

Default Shaker amps Backfeeding 12v

After a little bit of diagnosis/trouble shooting with an engineer at PAC we found that the Shaker amps are backfeeding 12v into the C2R-FRD1 unit when at high load (we speculate this was originaly to tell the Ford HU to lower volume output). This is causing an overvolt condition in the C2R-FRD1, the elctronics are designed to operate at 5v. So when 10+v was put into the unit the chips started to malfuniction and then shut down. The Diode keeps the voltage from backfeeding the unit, I used a 1N4005. I think you can get these at your local Radio $hack, we have several thousand on hand LOL! Anyway the diode did the trick, no more cut-outs, no more reboots! YAY~~~~~
Old 12-01-2010, 06:22 AM
dan02gt

Wow that's great troubleshooting and a nice scope mnemonic. Mine's like 30 years old lol. I also noticed the problem was way worse with the car running. I guess I will be tearing into my dash to install a diode instead of troubleshooting the issue. So the back feed voltage is coming through the amp turn on wire? I have a few of those diodes laying around, and you put it on the blue/white amp turn on wire that comes out of the PAC I take it?
Old 12-01-2010, 06:50 AM
dan02gt

Actually, I think I'm wrong on the wire. It's the amp turn on wire that goes from the 8 pin harness to the PAC correct? I think it's green. The blue/white wire is from the head unit to the PAC and not the correct one.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:33 AM
mnemonic

Default The Wire coming from PAC into Ford harness.

I beleive it is White/green, you will know because it is split off into 3 wires at the ford harnesses. Remember, diode kathode (White/black line) TOWARDS ford AMP.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:57 AM
dan02gt

Gotcha, thanks Mnemonic
Old 12-01-2010, 04:04 PM
NJ3
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mnemonic
I beleive it is White/green, you will know because it is split off into 3 wires at the ford harnesses. Remember, diode kathode (White/black line) TOWARDS ford AMP.
Yes it's the White/Green wire. I wired a diode in today after work. No more reboot. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:35 PM
dan02gt

Just installed the diode on mine and everything looks great. Thanks Iskwezm and Mnemonic for all your hard work on this. Iskwezm do you the diode will be added to the PAC in the future?

Quick Reply: 06 PAC C2R-FRD1 wiring harness help