Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Carputers anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 12:10 AM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

Default Carputers anyone?

Was just taking a quick poll on whether anyone took the time and money in installing a carputer and how they like it. I was looking into it at one point but decided to just go with a standard head unit. I have to say though, they are quite cool!
Old 05-19-2012, 01:13 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Because.....Race car!

1. mini-ITX case with my computer and the opus 360 automotive power-supply bolted to the top of it. The mini-ITX case I bought has a bottom bracket to it that it slides onto and locks into place. That bracket is bolted to the dash framing.

2. Up and running to oooh-aaah, but only for about 30min intervals without the engine running, and that's pushing it. 360watts for just that power-supply, that doesn't include the after-market amp to drive it, nor factory "faker" amps for what was a shaker 1000 system, or the extra 80watt 5v DC-DC regulated power-supply I hooked up as well for all the USB crap to get power from (relay controlled from the opus being powered on) as the 360 was being too far taxed on that front.

I like it a lot of course. The few times in recent memory I've had to take it out to either add something, or figure out an issue it sucks, mainly because it's replaced my head-unit, but also due to not being able to see ODB-II information at a glance while listening to music. Or when I get coffee in the morning to watch the news from broadcast ATSC HDTV in the parking lot(and during lunch).

If anyone asks would I do it again? CarPC? Yes. The above specifically? Hell to the no.

A PC offers limitless flexibility, but it also makes it that much harder to get it to do one specific thing exactly the way you want it to. The easier middle-ground solution is to put in a far cheaper droid or Ipad tablet. You get most of the extra usual functionality you're looking for, but less aggravation, cost, and time. Down side is you do lose out on a number of things you could do with a PC still; but it's a good middle-ground.

I would have left it as a slower built PC from the previous carPC build I did, and left the 7' monitor in the double-din unit I had. I would have just spent part of that money on a really good tranflective 7' touch-screen replacement to the crappy one I had there previously. Instead of doing all of that custom work to put in the 10.2 Xenarc you see. It's great, but hardly worth the insane time sink it was to do.

Last edited by wayne613; 05-19-2012 at 02:35 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:47 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

today it would be much easier just to mount a smaller tablet or ipad on the dash which has become popular lately.

As for limitless upgrades Idunno if I agree since the OS on that system will be outdated in a couple of years, with little to no support for it and upgrading it is as expensive as a new deck.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:24 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ttocs
today it would be much easier just to mount a smaller tablet or ipad on the dash which has become popular lately.

As for limitless upgrades Idunno if I agree since the OS on that system will be outdated in a couple of years, with little to no support for it and upgrading it is as expensive as a new deck.

Wut? I can't tell what you're actually referencing there, aside from re-iterating what I said in your first sentence. Are you talking about a CarPC or a tablet? Specifically mine, or just in general?

In any case I think whatever it is you're smoking could use a rehab program...
1. tablets can be near throwaway money right now as cheap as they are. Capacitive touchscreen, usually a built in nav solution, 3G, movie playing, etc..
2. CarPC...really? Most still use win2k or XP, not because they can't afford to upgrade, but because it's preferable. Support and upgrading issues are only problematic when going to the latest and greatest, such as I did with Win7(64). You don't need much power to do what most wish to, nor do you have to keep up as this is not some gaming rig where if you don't update you can't play Battlefield 4.
3. Mine specifically is a 4 core intel with 8 gigs of RAM and an NVIDIA Geforce 9300, hence the Opus 360 powering it, and the enormous (relative) draw. Short of needing to render CAD drawings, while playing music, with 2 others watching HD movies in split VMs, going to separate monitors, I really can't see why I'd need to touch the gut components ever again for integration with the car. I went about as far overkill as can be done with an mini-ITX form factor.
Most everything is freeware software wise aside from windows 7(64bit) of course, Iguidance, and dashcommand. RideRunner is the front-end you see in the photo. Getting a properly running handsfree blue-tooth setup, wireless, along with a USB HDradio, and satellite hookup, yeah, you're easily talking twice the cost of a premium head-unit. But should any of that change, upgrading a component such as a G to an N wireless card is cheap. And there is always Linux for the OS, quadruple the setup time involved minimum, not counting aggravation, but it's an option.

Tablets limit you to what hardware they have at the time, and apps they can run at the same time. As in you can't have 4 cameras recording via a USB hub connected to it and the like. A PC has none of those limitations, it is however limited by expertise, time, initial cost, and willingness to figure out how to get it to do what you want properly. Many integrate their HVAC, and other sub-system controls via an arduino or a fusion brain. A couple have gone so far as to to run their entire dash-cluster and sub-systems from it with multiple monitors. Not that I think that's a great idea.

The only real drawback in comparison to a dedicated bought head-unit to either is ease of integration. Tablets being the middle-road madness, CarPC still being to the far left of ludicrous most times. Expect to put in hours upon hours of time into software setup, changing config files, learning the scripting language the particular front-end you choose uses, etc..

Last edited by wayne613; 05-19-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:09 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

I build and service pc's, but I've never built one for a car. I was certified in 85 as an
electronic technician, taught myself computer IT service tech. Neat idea's, tech is ever
changing. Hard to keep up, one day a pc will run our entire homes.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:15 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by audioAl
Hard to keep up, one day a pc will run our entire homes.
That's been pretty mainstream for awhile as well:
http://www.smarthomeusa.com/ShopByMa...HOMESEER-V2.0/

I'd like to do that type of set-up, and set up RFID actuated door-locks at some point. Just, well, the current home I own really isn't worth it..

At least in what I see, the next revolution is already starting to take shape... Smart phones being the main medium behind your head-unit, as well as other entertainment once they become a bit more feasible bandwidth and computing power wise. Fits in your pocket, cheap, all your music on it, other streaming audio and video options, most rarely leave anywhere without theirs, etc..Appradio 2 from pioneer being a fairly prime example..
Tablet and true PC integration for the car will still always be a niche market.

Last edited by wayne613; 05-19-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:07 AM
JayMax03
2nd Gear Member

I'm still working on mines... I have quite a drawback since I first started due to my wheels cracked in half while I was driving... I'm okay but my car is in deep sh*t both of my passenger side rims are toast and no damage was done to the tires. I'll post some pics up later, but it might be to the end of June still I finish my carpc setup
Old 05-19-2012, 11:20 AM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wayne613
Because.....Race car!

1. mini-ITX case with my computer and the opus 360 automotive power-supply bolted to the top of it. The mini-ITX case I bought has a bottom bracket to it that it slides onto and locks into place. That bracket is bolted to the dash framing.

2. Up and running to oooh-aaah, but only for about 30min intervals without the engine running, and that's pushing it. 360watts for just that power-supply, that doesn't include the after-market amp to drive it, nor factory "faker" amps for what was a shaker 1000 system, or the extra 80watt 5v DC-DC regulated power-supply I hooked up as well for all the USB crap to get power from (relay controlled from the opus being powered on) as the 360 was being too far taxed on that front.

I like it a lot of course. The few times in recent memory I've had to take it out to either add something, or figure out an issue it sucks, mainly because it's replaced my head-unit, but also due to not being able to see ODB-II information at a glance while listening to music. Or when I get coffee in the morning to watch the news from broadcast ATSC HDTV in the parking lot(and during lunch).

If anyone asks would I do it again? CarPC? Yes. The above specifically? Hell to the no.

A PC offers limitless flexibility, but it also makes it that much harder to get it to do one specific thing exactly the way you want it to. The easier middle-ground solution is to put in a far cheaper droid or Ipad tablet. You get most of the extra usual functionality you're looking for, but less aggravation, cost, and time. Down side is you do lose out on a number of things you could do with a PC still; but it's a good middle-ground.

I would have left it as a slower built PC from the previous carPC build I did, and left the 7' monitor in the double-din unit I had. I would have just spent part of that money on a really good tranflective 7' touch-screen replacement to the crappy one I had there previously. Instead of doing all of that custom work to put in the 10.2 Xenarc you see. It's great, but hardly worth the insane time sink it was to do.
Did you ever look into installing xbmc os? That wouldn't have all the functionality such as nav and radio, but as far as a media center goes, its great.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:54 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stuart McWilliams
Did you ever look into installing xbmc os? That wouldn't have all the functionality such as nav and radio, but as far as a media center goes, its great.
I've heard of it, but not considered really using it since it's really not thought out to be a front-end solution for what is needed. It's a bit ****, but let me correct you there, that's not an "OS", that specifically is an HTPC front-end. It becomes the GUI used. You still have to choose the OS to install first, set all of that up, THEN install a front-end, and set that up to control everything you want. XMBC really isn't suited to be used as a carPC front-end unless you just want to install a movie/music watching/listening only solution.

There are still quite a few front-ends to choose from, but really, Centrafuse(bought), and RideRunner(Used to be called roadrunner) are still the most popular two due to the scripting, skinning engines, and ease of which a plugin can be created using any semi-recent iteration of windows.

The biggest resource I've seen for this is still http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/ , the centrafuse forums aren't bad either, but it's geared obviously more towards just their software, rather than hobbyists talking about general integration. Along with people submitting their own front-end solutions.

The only carPC front-end that I can recall offhand that has a packaged OS with it is Meego(formerly LinuxICE). Been awhile since I've been really active over there on the forums, I tend to waste my time more often here anymore.

This was my previous carPC in the same car, just before I yanked it to do the new setup (the mycolor 3-button cluster controls bought off an ebay wreck for a few bucks, re-wired to be used to control the PC and monitor):

Last edited by wayne613; 05-19-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wayne613
I've heard of it, but not considered really using it since it's really not thought out to be a front-end solution for what is needed. It's a bit ****, but let me correct you there, that's not an "OS", that specifically is an HTPC front-end. It becomes the GUI used. You still have to choose the OS to install first, set all of that up, THEN install a front-end, and set that up to control everything you want. XMBC really isn't suited to be used as a carPC front-end unless you just want to install a movie/music watching/listening only solution.

There are still quite a few front-ends to choose from, but really, Centrafuse(bought), and RideRunner(Used to be called roadrunner) are still the most popular two due to the scripting, skinning engines, and ease of which a plugin can be created using any semi-recent iteration of windows.

The biggest resource I've seen for this is still http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/ , the centrafuse forums aren't bad either, but it's geared obviously more towards just their software, rather than hobbyists talking about general integration. Along with people submitting their own front-end solutions.

The only carPC front-end that I can recall offhand that has a packaged OS with it is Meego(formerly LinuxICE). Been awhile since I've been really active over there on the forums, I tend to waste my time more often here anymore.

This was my previous carPC in the same car, just before I yanked it to do the new setup (the mycolor 3-button cluster controls bought off an ebay wreck for a few bucks, re-wired to be used to control the PC and monitor):

Yeah, I saw some of your posts on there a while back. Nice work on what you did! XBMC does offer a standalone os and I was thinking it would be cool but would hard, maybe even impossible, to navigate using a touchscreen.

Quick Reply: Carputers anyone?