Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Need help with aftermarket stereo installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 06:50 PM
CM75

Default Need help with aftermarket stereo installation

Hi, all. I'm installing an aftermarket stereo in a 2000 Mustang, and could use a little help. I'm using the Metra 70-5510 wiring harness to install the new stereo. At this point, all the wires on the new stereo's harness are matched up with the corresponding wires on my car's harness. However, there are a few wires on the Metra harness that don't have a matching wire on the stereo. They are:

Blue/White - Amp Turn-On
Black/White - Amp Ground
Orange - Illumination
Orange/White - Dimmer
Brown - Phone Mute

I'm pretty sure I need to at least be using the two amp wires... but how do I use them when there are no amp wires on the stereo's harness? There's also a big black ground wire that was clipped to the back of the old stereo. Is it needed anymore? Any assistance would be much appreciated.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:33 PM
shouldhavegottheGT
2nd Gear Member

The big black wire is typically the ground, it definitely needs to be wired. You need to screw it into the something that is bare metal. Your illumination wire should also be hooked up. Most of the wire harnesses have just power and speaker wires.

The amp wires are only used when using an amp. Now if you have a stock system that has factory amps, you may need another kit. I ran into this problem the other day when installing deck into my brother's eclipse with an Infinity sound system.

I have never installed a stereo into a Ford, but most systems are the same. Power wire, accessory wire, illumination, ground, and speaker wire. Sometimes the antenna will ground the stereo as well.

if you go to Crutchfield.com you can put in your vehicle and see exactly what you need to hook up the stereo. Good luck with the install.