Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Ford Sync is kind of a jerk

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 12:35 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by clucas
I've done the master reset and I do a hard reset on the iPhone to no avail. Sync still doesn't recognize that my iPhone is a supported device, and sometimes it most times it will not charge thought USB. I've just been using Bluetooth for months. Take it to the dealer? I've checked the sync site and it says I'm up to date, as is my iPhone.
Originally Posted by rvastang
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I tried the master reset and the phone reset, and the first time I plugged it back in I got the "USB not found" … I sort of wonder if there is something physically wrong with the USB port on my car … And I have to add, if the voice control worked over Bluetooth like it does on USB, and displayed the song/artist info, I wouldn't bother with USB at all. …
Hi clucas and rvastang,

You’re both on the right track. It looks like you have already walked through the troubleshooting that I can suggest. Both of your concerns sound like it could be an issue with the actual port. I suggest taking it to your dealership to determine what’s causing SYNC to act up.

Originally Posted by BairdGT
… The bigger issue is once and awhile I will start up my vehicle and it remembers i was listening to USB but then SYNC voice comes up saying found new device and starts playing 1 song but that will be the only song on my USB stick, When I load the USB stick into the computer all my songs but the 1 that it decides wasn't worthy of deleting have been erased.. this has happened so far 10-12 times and its totally random sometimes I have gone weeks without it doing it and one time I had it do it back to back mornings. It is always a different song it decides to not delete aswell. Is this a common issue with FORD SYNC?
Perhaps Sync is hiding rather than deleting, which would account for the space still being used.
Hey BairdGT,

SYNC shouldn’t be capable of modifying the media on your device. Rvastang may be on to something; it sounds like SYNC is only acknowledging one song, but not actually erasing the rest of the files. Have you noticed anything unique to the tracks that SYNC decides to play compared to the ones that seem to disappear?

Kim
Old 08-20-2013, 01:50 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

I have a Shaker 500, I don't feel bad for you. At least you can listen to something other than radio.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:51 PM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

Hey BairdGT,

SYNC shouldn’t be capable of modifying the media on your device. Rvastang may be on to something; it sounds like SYNC is only acknowledging one song, but not actually erasing the rest of the files. Have you noticed anything unique to the tracks that SYNC decides to play compared to the ones that seem to disappear?

Kim
I can tell when the songs have disappeared by when I start my car the FORD SYNC voice comes on saying "Ford Sync has discovered a new device blah blah blah".

Nothing unique about the songs as it has varied from artist and genre. I thought maybe it was cause I torrent a fair amount of my songs so I decided to test that theory by loading only Tiesto Club Life Albums which you can download directly off of Tiesto's website and that theory got shot out the window as it still did it.

Here is a screen shot of my desktop since this morning can you take a guess what happened?? I have "Show hidden files, folders and drives" checked and no change.

As you can see on this 16GB USB stick it claims 33.9MB (didn't feel like loading all 2GB on this time) is being used. It's choice of song this morning was to keep Eminem - Beautiful which is 4MB leaving 30MB of music magically that has disappeared.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:07 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by BairdGT
I can tell when the songs have disappeared by when I start my car the FORD SYNC voice comes on saying "Ford Sync has discovered a new device blah blah blah". ... can you take a guess what happened?? I have "Show hidden files, folders and drives" checked and no change.

As you can see on this 16GB USB stick it claims 33.9MB (didn't feel like loading all 2GB on this time) is being used. It's choice of song this morning was to keep Eminem - Beautiful which is 4MB leaving 30MB of music magically that has disappeared.
Thanks for the picture! It's really helpful. I've never seen this happen before. I recommend taking it to your dealership and sharing all of this information with them. Bring your loaded USB to compare with one of their own devices. They will work with you to find the cause of this concern.

Kim
Old 12-25-2013, 11:25 PM
rvastang
1st Gear Member

Four months later and Sync still doesn't work right. I still have to pull the fuse from Sync once a month or it gets all crazy on me. And they still haven't released a new update since March. Awesome product support there, Ford.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:05 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Four months later and Sync still doesn't work right. I still have to pull the fuse from Sync once a month or it gets all crazy on me. And they still haven't released a new update since March. Awesome product support there, Ford.
Hi rvastang,

Unfortunately, I don't have information on future updates for SYNC. Have you brought this to your dealership's attention already?

Kim
Old 12-29-2013, 10:42 PM
rvastang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hi rvastang,

Unfortunately, I don't have information on future updates for SYNC. Have you brought this to your dealership's attention already?

Kim
What is a dealership going to do about buggy/poorly written software?
Old 12-30-2013, 07:51 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

My thoughts exactly. Also folks...just want to make sure you clearly understand this that SYNC is actually not Ford but Microsoft. Ford just licenses and uses it. I realize that doesnt help you one bit either because you're still screwed. I miss my steering wheel controls but I dont miss SYNC.

edit: Im correcting myself here but SYNC OS was under exclusive agreement between Ford and MS until Nov 08 and then expired. The interfaces were written by Ford so the actual voice commands, etc...are Ford.

Maybe dealerships will start hiring developers in house to be code monkeys for their customers. One lane for quick lube, one lane for tires, last lane for code releases and QA/UAT.

Last edited by wcgman; 12-30-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:22 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Hi rvastang,

Although the fuse pull will temporarily resolve some SYNC concerns, it seems like you've been removing it so often that it has become routine. This is not how the system is designed to operate. The dealership will be able to diagnose this concern much better in person. If you've already taken it to the dealership for this, send me a PM with your name, VIN, mileage, phone number and dealership name. I'll see how I can best assist. Please include details about any other SYNC related issues that you're currently experiencing.

Kim
Old 01-01-2014, 12:02 AM
dkpGTCS
2nd Gear Member

I have been having issues with my Sync telling me my USB has been removed - it seems like it comes in bunches. It will work for a week then all of a sudden it will cause problems for a day.

I had a Focus ST for a while that had MyFordTouch. After the last software update I had zero issues with it. I learned to love it. Hopefully there are more software updates to come, but I am concerned Ford is more worried about MFT and won't work on our version.

Quick Reply: Ford Sync is kind of a jerk