Bullitt Mustangs

Mustang Forums Bullitt owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 08:26 AM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
blah. most people who bought Bullitts could care less about the heritage. hell, most don't even know the history.

I only knew about the movie and steve mcqueen because I'm a motorhead and love those old muscle cars.

Ford will likely make another one. I bought mine because of all the goodies you get vs. a normal GT, for relatively no extra charge. As you can see from my sig, I'm building on that excellent base. I've pissed some of the purists off, but my car, my money. They can hold onto their car for the next 30 yrs. I'm going to enjoy mine.

I hope Ford makes another version. I'd consider buying another one

I disagree with you on the notion that most Bullitt owners don't know the heritage. Many/most of the original 2001 Bullitt owners know about the original Bullitt. It may be more correct to say that less of the 2008/2009 Bullitt owners don't know the heritage, since they had previous exposure to the 2001 Bullitts.

It is true that the Bullitt did come with some nice upgrades over the GT, so that alone would draw many buyers. If Ford had not produced the 2nd run of Bullitts in 08/09, there would be a higher level of collectability down the road for original condition, low mileage Bullitts. That was diminished quite a bit by the 2nd run. Any additional runs of Bullitts would ruin Ford credibility on potential future "limited edition" vehicles.

Last edited by TRUEBLUE3934; 09-25-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:24 AM
akiba17
Not 100% a dick

Those "purist" are the one's that will raise a major stink about it. Nice Bullitt by the way Tylus. The reason I bought mine was the extra goodies for the cheap such as the gt500 seats, and 3.73 gears, but what really sold it to me was the paint job, gotta love DHG.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:47 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

"Purist" or not, anyone would be disappointed if they were told they were buying a limited edition car(at a premium), and the factory turned around and made three times more than they said they would.

Ford risked their credibility when the Cobras were found to have less power than Ford claimed in their advertising. I have strong suspicions that is one of the big reasons that Ford cars like the 2011 GT is so much underated by Ford advertising. Buyers have to believe the manufacturers claims or else sales will suffer.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:14 PM
ozzie09

Default Bullitt Or Not?

New here on the forum and have a big question. Saw and ad for a mustang GT. It was wrecked but had Bullitt all over it. Guy said the clutch was out and was too much work to replace the (slave cylinder) which I new it didn't have. Needless to say the old boy didn't know much about the car so I gave very, very little for it. Loaded it on a trailer, got it home adjusted the clutch and ran like a dream. Went ahead and stipped it down had the body work done then I started the rest of the work and did some research on the car. It had all the Bullitt stuff on it that I could find. The sticker on the shock tower is fadded out and barerly can see the ford written all over it. What gets me is the car was silver, even under the hood was original fadded silver paint. Ran the vin number and it calls out a v6 auto. Still has all the Bullit stuff on it. Any help would be greatly apreciated. I did finish the car and it came out great. No regrets here, but would really like to find any other Bullitt Id's.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:18 PM
bullitt2655

Originally Posted by ozzie09
New here on the forum and have a big question. Saw and ad for a mustang GT. It was wrecked but had Bullitt all over it. Guy said the clutch was out and was too much work to replace the (slave cylinder) which I new it didn't have. Needless to say the old boy didn't know much about the car so I gave very, very little for it. Loaded it on a trailer, got it home adjusted the clutch and ran like a dream. Went ahead and stipped it down had the body work done then I started the rest of the work and did some research on the car. It had all the Bullitt stuff on it that I could find. The sticker on the shock tower is fadded out and barerly can see the ford written all over it. What gets me is the car was silver, even under the hood was original fadded silver paint. Ran the vin number and it calls out a v6 auto. Still has all the Bullit stuff on it. Any help would be greatly apreciated. I did finish the car and it came out great. No regrets here, but would really like to find any other Bullitt Id's.
Definitely not a Bullitt if it's silver...only DHG, Black & True Blue.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:16 PM
90RunnerRed
2nd Gear Member

X2 on the color being a huge sign, as well as your VIN saying it was a V6 Auto. You can also look under the rear seat. There should be a second Bullitt sticker there as well, same as the one on your shock tower. It (if present) would most likely not be damaged.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:32 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

I hope that Ford doens't build any more Bullitts, I like being one fo the few around in my area. I'm sure I'm the only Black Bullitt in my immediate area. I was happy at first when the 08/09 Bullitts came out. I feel that Ford kinda dropped the ball on them though. Sure the engine is nice but the styling is more plain jane than ever. IMO the New Edge Bullitts had sharper and better lines than the S197 Bullitts, just my two cents though.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:12 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by crash
I hope that Ford doens't build any more Bullitts, I like being one fo the few around in my area. I'm sure I'm the only Black Bullitt in my immediate area. I was happy at first when the 08/09 Bullitts came out. I feel that Ford kinda dropped the ball on them though. Sure the engine is nice but the styling is more plain jane than ever. IMO the New Edge Bullitts had sharper and better lines than the S197 Bullitts, just my two cents though.
I know what you mean about being happy to have an unusual car. Don't see the trueblue Bullitts rolling around my area. I have to disagree with you on the 08/09 Bullitt styling. They look A LOT more like the original '68 in the movie than the 2001's do. That was exactly the point of the car. The understated styling is a large part of what made the Bullitt the Bullitt.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:16 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
I know what you mean about being happy to have an unusual car. Don't see the trueblue Bullitts rolling around my area. I have to disagree with you on the 08/09 Bullitt styling. They look A LOT more like the original '68 in the movie than the 2001's do. That was exactly the point of the car. The understated styling is a large part of what made the Bullitt the Bullitt.
Maybe it's just me but I'm just not a fan of the 05-10 S197 styling. It looks round and soft to me. Just my two cents though.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:19 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Crash,
I generally agree with you on the larger appearance and more rounded body vs the 2001 styling. I love the fact that our cars are several hundred pound lighter as well. Weight is the enemy of everything performance related. All that being said, I'd LOVE to have one of the new 2011 5.0 GT's. A Camaro killer right out of the box, for a change!!! Very good performance in all catagories.

Quick Reply: Mustang Forums Bullitt owners