California Regional Chapter Chapter President: Matt's 95 Stang

Advice for a Noob looking for a classic 65-69 daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Mike Pettit

Default Advice for a Noob looking for a classic 65-69 daily driver

Good afternoon everyone,

I am new to the forum and looking to purchase a 65-69 mustang as a daily driver. I am selling my new(er) Toyota Camry to get in something fun that i get excited about driving everyday.

I just had a few questions for the experts;

The shell/look is really the main thing that's important to me. I want a fully functional, no-headache car that I dont have to constantly mess with. The engine can be different (something newer), the vin numbers dont have to match, the interior can be updated. I'm not partial to any mods, i just want to have some of the luxuries of a new(er) car but cosmetically, i want it to be the 65-69 model mustang.

Are there sellers around Los Angeles / SFV who do something like this? How much would this cost me?

I realize i should not go out and try to find and all original matching numbers vintage stang and then mess with it, as those have their own market and value, but what are some other options or directions i should be headed?

I'm not a gear head and dont plan on doing much of the work myself. Ideally i'd like to find a automatic mustang more for cruisin than turning a wrench and going to car shows.

thanks in advance for any advice, let me know if i left out any key info.

Mike
Old 07-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

Welcome to MF. Hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:40 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Your best bet is to look on Craigslist and ebay for local stuff. Also check autotrader.com. Good luck with your search.

Matthew
Old 07-11-2012, 08:12 AM
ceswert
1st Gear Member

Southern CA is a good place to find the car you are looking for. Good selection of the years you like plus the rust issue is much less due to our dry climate. I'm not a mechanically oriented owner so you may want to find a club member who knows his stuff. I would have this impartial person inspect the car before you go further. Since the inventory is good, price negotiation may be an option. Updated cars are out there for sure. Prices can range all over the place. Typically a guy may try to recover the cost of upgrading but usually won't happen. You can get some decent deals out there. You may want to check the for sales ads on different club web sites too. good luck!
Old 07-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Mike Pettit

Thanks guys, good start. I see the rust issue pop up a lot in many listings - so i'll keep an eye out for that. There are a few local clubs in the San fernando Valley where I live, so my plan is to stop by their next events and introduce myself and try absorb as much info as possible.

I'm hoping to pull this off in the 12-17K range as thats what my camry will most liely sell for.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Check out Mustangs Only, located in Culver City. I know it's quite a distance, but I've seen their restoration work and it's really good. Of course, the cars are restorated, but if you want some of the modern day comforts, I'm sure something can be worked out. They have a collection ranging from coupes, convertibles, and fastbacks; 60-70s Mustangs; GT models, to Bullitt replicas, and a Mach 1. Check out mustangsonly.com for more details.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Mike Pettit

@ Antonio323 - good call. just popped down there on my lunch break and met jim.

His opinion differed a bit from what i had been reading online - possibly a bit more old school. Jim has a '65 289 V8 automatic thats all original w/ power steering for 15K.

He didnt think new suspension would be necessary unless i'd be racing (which i wont) and suggested power breaks instead of disc brakes in the front as i wont be dealing with the elements too much (here in socal). Also, he suggested new radial tires ($500) to make it a bit more comfortable. He joked that the best way to get a comfortable ride was to buy a new one! I should have seen that coming...

Good reco.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Cool! Keep us posted so we know how it goes for you. Good luck finding what you're looking for!
Old 09-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Mike Pettit

Not sure how to post a pic w/out a URL but i added one to my profile/garage.

for those of you who commented with advice - much appreciated, i now own my dream car - a 67 Convertible mustang!

Mike
Old 09-22-2012, 11:44 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

upload your pics to photobucket.com then you can load them here.

Matthew

Quick Reply: Advice for a Noob looking for a classic 65-69 daily driver