Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

Big thanks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 09:28 PM
GT500Steve
4th Gear Member

Default Big thanks!!!

Wanted to give a big thank you to Steve and Dana for coming down to Pro Dyno and hanging out with me this morning. It was long day but a whole lotta fun too. Dan and the guys did a clutch install (McLeod RXT Twin Disc) along with a shifter (Steeda Tri-ax), and swapped out my stock manifolds for a set of Kooks long tube headers. Now she is good as new, the clutch works like a DREAM and the long tubes make her sound like a VERY angry girl (I always liked a woman with a little bit of attitude). PLUS, I got to see bad bad Leroy Brown ride the skateboard. That was worth the trip alone lol.

Will be back down there in a couple of weeks for the dyno tune, and then..... TRACK TIME!
Old 10-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Awesome. I do have a question though....I have the JBA O/R H Pipe with the CAT delete down pipes. How much of a difference would LT's make over what I have now? Or could I just get a set of aftermarket shorty headers to do the same? Thanks.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:40 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Awesome, sexy headers.. What are you looking for? I've seen 25-30 wheel gains on similar setups. monster torque gains.

Sleeper, are you still N/A? Personally I don't like shorties, LTs will give you a nice gain up top.. I haven't seen a lot of back to back comparisons with LT vs stock with the 5.0s.. Most apps see around 15 or so though, boosted just sees bigger gains because of all the oxygen flowing through easier
Old 10-10-2012, 09:43 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Nope..

https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...-5-0-gt-9.html
Old 10-10-2012, 09:47 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Ooooh.. I'd imagine you'd see the same gains as about any FI app will see then.. I don't know all the characteristics of the coyotes but just about every boosted modular sees a really nice hp and torque gain.. Even down low you see some pick-up..
Old 10-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Thanks. I may have to look into that.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:02 PM
GT500Steve
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_GT
Awesome. I do have a question though....I have the JBA O/R H Pipe with the CAT delete down pipes. How much of a difference would LT's make over what I have now? Or could I just get a set of aftermarket shorty headers to do the same? Thanks.
IMO, you could pick up probably 30-40 rwhp with a set of longtubes. IF you were going to go to the hassle of doing a header swap, I would not suggest shorty headers,simply because they wont flow much more than stock. With the power you are making, you will also want to have them pay special attention to the tune as well, because once you get around the 650rwhp mark, the heat and pressure from the blower make it hard for the material in the catalytic converter to hold up. Some guys ave actually melted the guts inside the converter, and it caused a blockage which could lead to engine being damaged. They can write the tune with whats known as "CAT protection" and it will help the converters hold up, but it will also sacrifice a little power as well ( at least I assume it is the same for tuning the 5.0 nd 5.4). Another thing to consider is when it comes time to get the car inspected...

For me, long tubes were the last piece to the puzzle with my car. I am pleased with the power I will gain and I LOVE the sound, but it was an expensive mod.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:10 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Thanks Steve2Stang.. LOL I'm not worried about CATS. I don't have any now and won't put any one if I get LT's. If need be I'll get two H Pipes. One with High flow CATS for inspection and another for the other 364.5 days of the year w/o CATS. I like the sound of another 30-40 HP.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:10 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT500Steve
IMO, you could pick up probably 30-40 rwhp with a set of longtubes. IF you were going to go to the hassle of doing a header swap, I would not suggest shorty headers,simply because they wont flow much more than stock. With the power you are making, you will also want to have them pay special attention to the tune as well, because once you get around the 650rwhp mark, the heat and pressure from the blower make it hard for the material in the catalytic converter to hold up. Some guys ave actually melted the guts inside the converter, and it caused a blockage which could lead to engine being damaged. They can write the tune with whats known as "CAT protection" and it will help the converters hold up, but it will also sacrifice a little power as well ( at least I assume it is the same for tuning the 5.0 nd 5.4). Another thing to consider is when it comes time to get the car inspected...

For me, long tubes were the last piece to the puzzle with my car. I am pleased with the power I will gain and I LOVE the sound, but it was an expensive mod.
Damn, 40 would be impressive.. That's a big gain compared to the 4.6 LT FT gain.. I'm looking forward to seeing new numbers!! I agree on the hassle thing, that's why I don't like shorties.. The potential on them is crap too..
Old 10-10-2012, 10:21 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Ill be installing mine hopefully this month, let you know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Big thanks!!!