Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

And the Homer Simpson Award goes to...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

Default And the Homer Simpson Award goes to...

I had a boatload of stuff to do 2 days ago and was running around town from the crack of dawn on. At about 8AM, I pulled into the driveway to grab something out of the house, then jumped on the scooter to complete my tasks without dealing with the now building rush hour traffic in town.

About 4˝ hours later my elderly neighbor, Margaret, called while I was having lunch with some friends downtown. I was concerned because she is very old. "Are you alright, Margaret?" I asked. "Oh, sure". She replied. Then she said, "Is your car supposed to be on? It's been a long, long time"

*holycrap!*

I then told her not to touch the very hot pipes under the doors and to please go and turn my car off, and told her how.

The good news is that the car did not overheat (It was 70° outside) even after idling for almost 5 hours. The bad news is that it cost me about $25 in gas.

BTW, I have a hearing disorder, and with the nearby construction that day, didn't hear the car and didn't realize it was still running. When I jumper on the scooter, it was an afterthought. I've never done this since, ever.

Love my Modine 3 row. It totally works.

CP
Old 12-06-2008, 09:59 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

You must live in a good neighborhood. The car was still there. Don't feel bad. Dumb stuff happens. Back in the 70s when I was newspaper reporter I took a photo of a cop at the sheriff's office trying to break into his own squad car because he locked the keys inside while it was still running. He worked on it about 20 minutes, gave up and got one of the more "experienced" prisoners to come out and look at it. That guy opened it in like 15 seconds.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:31 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Haha thats a funny story in retrospect. Just be glad you didn't have it overheating for 5 hours, you would probably definitely need a rebuild or something if that happened.....
Old 12-07-2008, 01:33 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

so the lesson here is sidepipes=hearing loss

im going with side pipe on mine, not fancy ones but like the 65 shelbys had. i have lost a little hearing over the years(only 25) due to the being in the HS band, working for the railroad for a stint, and playing with cars.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:45 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

So does that mean I will lose my hearing? I get the feeling CP's car is louder than mine....
Old 12-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

My exhaust is not really louder than any other car when idling at 800 rpm. With the combination of nearby jackhammers and my hearing disorder I didn't hear the car when I came out of the house. At that point, I wasn't even near the car.

If you're close to the car, you can feel the exhaust more than you can hear it.

This wasn't as funny as the time I suddenly noticed a gas pump nozzel sticking out of my 5.0 with the hose part ripped off.

And nothing beats the day my car was doing doughnuts around Dodger Stadium parking lot with no driver.

Alas, I am a three time recipient of the Homer Simpson award, lol.

CP
Old 12-07-2008, 12:32 PM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Carlos Pineiro
This wasn't as funny as the time I suddenly noticed a gas pump nozzel sticking out of my 5.0 with the hose part ripped off.

And nothing beats the day my car was doing doughnuts around Dodger Stadium parking lot with no driver.

ive seen a lady pull off with the gas pump deal, comical becuase she did it right in front of a cop right after HS let out so there was TONS of traffic lol

and you cannot mention donuts with no driver and not explian it
Old 12-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

Talking

Originally Posted by 65rangoon

...and you cannot mention donuts with no driver and not explian it
https://mustangforums.com/forum/5560351-post11.html

CP
Old 12-07-2008, 02:08 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Smile

Originally Posted by Carlos Pineiro

Alas, I am a three time recipient of the Homer Simpson award, lol.

CP
And this car has survived 368,000 miles? Good luck with 369,000.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:39 PM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

Just glad your wife is ok from the head on with the Merc. Wild story!