Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

backyard builders

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 04:12 PM
aujack

Default backyard builders

how many of yall have restored your cars with little to no roof to speak of? I dont have the luxury of a garage, but I do have a shed to house the parts I remove and I built a 16'x12' lean-to for some cover over my head. I was just wondering how many built their dream car without the use of a garage or shop.

I have a 67 coupe that the inital plan is not a complete frame up restore, but close. I will first tackle the cowl and floorboards and any other rust i find, followed by new gas tank, lines, etc, followed by new suspension, interior, and body and paint. I think the 289 is still good, it was rebuilt 10 years ago, but has less than 5-6k miles on it.

hopefully i can become one of those backyard shadetree mechanics by the time its done.l..
Old 12-15-2008, 04:15 PM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

It has to be out of the rain. That's key. Doing this outside also reduces the amount of time you can leave primer on bare metal too. I think it's doable for a "driver" car, like I have.

I lived in south Louisiana until recently, and I got to tell you, it SUCKS working in that heat and humidity.... BUT, it's nothing a cold beer can't fix.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:20 PM
roush 427R
1st Gear Member

You got to make due.... mabye look at getting one of those race day pop up tents to pull the car under and protect it and you from the weather. I live in Colorado and have to make due even with the snow and cold when working on my father in laws '68 Convertible in the winter. Good luck
Old 12-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

Does a 20'x10' storage unit count. That's the car, and ALL tools (includes engine hoist, engine stand with engine on it).
Old 12-15-2008, 05:27 PM
chris66dad
2nd Gear Member

We are building my sons car in the EX-wives garage because my garage is too small. Sometimes you just gotta do what ya gotta do.
We did build an outdoor paint booth to spray the paint on the car if that counts. It was a 14x24 Harbor Freight car tent and we enclosed the sides.
Here are pictures and lessons learned if interested:
http://chris66dad.tripod.com/id24.html

Last edited by chris66dad; 12-16-2008 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:30 PM
68dustin
2nd Gear Member

i had to sand my cougar down 3 or 4 time before i painted it to fight the rust... i hate working on cars outside.. when i first started working on my cougar i had to work on it out in a field and trying to jack the car up was impossible due to sinking jack stand and fighting off big *** spiders..lol... but now 5 years later none of my old school even see rain or mud.. they live in my 3 car garage...
Old 12-15-2008, 05:32 PM
68dustin
2nd Gear Member

i had to sand my cougar down 3 or 4 time before i painted it to fight the rust... i hate working on cars outside.. when i first started working on my cougar i had to work on it out in a field and trying to jack the car up was impossible due to sinking jack stand and fighting off big *** spiders..lol... but now 5 years later none of my old school even see rain or mud.. they live in my 3 car garage...
Old 12-15-2008, 05:37 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Rebuilt this joker outside, won't start my '68 Stang until I have a place I don't think.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:02 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

Yeah, most of my resto was done outside, except for the paint. I remember being out there in the winter with snowing coming down and temperatures in the teens, wiring up removing my interior, putting it back in, and putting on my monte carlo bar and export brace on Christmas morning.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:39 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by EagleStroker

Rebuilt this joker outside, won't start my '68 Stang until I have a place I don't think.
I love the MB's. Came close to buying a M3 last year but the fellow backed out at the last minute (4 barrel). I would love to have a M4A3 but they are way out of my budget now.

Quick Reply: backyard builders