Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

1967 Coupe and winter - Opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 01:15 AM
DerMann

Default 1967 Coupe and winter - Opinions needed

First post, new to the forums.

Having driven myself about since Junior year of highschool, finding myself car-less in college is almost unacceptable.

This summer, I'm going to save up for a car. Question, though:

My mom has had a 1967 Mustang Coupe (similar to the one in the picture) since the late 70s, early 80s. It's in fair condition, but needs some work, most of which can be easily done by myself or would be a quick fix at a mechanic's. The worst probably being a leaky heater core (probably gonna be a mechanic fixing that).

That being said, she replaced the engine at around 100k miles (total of about 140k now), and if I'm not mistaken, it's a 289 Windsor.

I'd much rather put about $1k-$2k into this car and have it running reliably. It would be cheaper and more awesome to have this car (regardless of fuel, it's so cheap now) than to try and find a decent car for $4k or so.

However, my main concern is rust. It'd spend most of the year Indiana, where the streets are covered in salt and snow in the winter. Any previous rust spots would grow to an immense, and fatal, size. Effectively killing a classic.

How susceptible to rust would the car be? I mean, it's not like nobody drives cars north of the Mason Dixon in fear of rust destroying their car.

After some cursory googling, I found a slew of remedies for removing rust and rust protectors (a friend of mine even suggested some stuff that they use on Sea Planes).

Would something like POR 15 be effective at keeping rust at bay for a year's winter? Ideally, I'd do a bit of a check up every summer when I come back home (Texas).

It's not like I'm trying to impress anyone with this car (go to an all male college - no girls for miles and miles). This is just the most expedient route which leads to me having a working car. Even then, it'll only be driven on large, well kept roads a few times a week for errands and what not (I walk on campus).

On one hand, I do not want to ruin it. On the other hand, my mom never drives it, let alone has any interest to get it repaired, and keeps it covered (some times, mostly uncovered) in the driveway.

This question is stuck in my mind, though. What's worse? Letting it slowly fall apart on our drive or driving it until it can no longer do so?

The one time I was able to drive it, I was amazed at just how beautifully it drove. Crisp turning, quick acceleration, and I absolutely adore the way the interior is laid out. Most sports cars these days are cramped, low to the ground, and you almost have to lay down to drive them (e.g. my friend's Camaro). This is one of the few cars I've driven where you sit straight up and have a commanding view of the road - like a king. And to be perfectly honest, I've had my eye on it since before I could ride a bike.

Sorry for the supremely long post. I'm including stuff I already heard from another source, and it is a bit of a big decision for me. And to clarify, I would be driving it about 1100 miles from Texas to Indiana.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:37 AM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums.

First, there is no such thing as a 289 Windsor. It would probably just be a standard 289, most likely no a HIPO, or anything, and Windsor is a form of the 351 block.

Anyway, pass on the car, for now. You'll never have the money to keep it running reliably when it really matters, and the winters will KILL the car, despite gallons of POR-15.

I am 21 and live in MI with my 70 Fastback. It is parked from October-April because of that road salt, it eats these things alive.

Find yourself a beater, grind through college, and have you mom plan on selling you the car when youve graduated and can really justify it.

Just my $.02
Old 01-26-2009, 04:22 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The Windsor family is 221 260 289 302 351 and in 80/81 there was a 255 in the mustang.Unless your willing to fully restore it now get a beater to drive for the time being.Any car of the mustangs age is full of problems like old wiring that don't work right.The odds are the car has rust now putting in that salt of winter makes it worse trust me.Rust is like roaches by the time you see its too late to be a easy fix.I'm sure i missed a point or two but unless you can fully restore it now wait tell after college.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:04 AM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

Definitely wait. For the reasons above, oh, and cheap gas wont be around forever anyway.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:00 PM
genesis
Former Sponsor

welcome