Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Looking at buying my first house;

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:46 AM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

Just be very careful buying a foreclosure.

We looked at one a couple of years ago and we were very lucky that the wife stuck up a conversation with a neighbor. Turns out the house we were looking at floods. The bank wouldn't tell us that because in a foreclosure type deal they are not required to tell you that. Thank the Lord we happened to strike up a conversation with the neighbor.

Just saying be careful because in foreclosures the bank is pretty much required to tell you nothing. They argue "hey, I never lived there..."

That said, the place you are looking at is exactly what I want to get some day. Out of the sub-divided neighborhood non-sense and get some land with a barn that I can use to store / work on cars in.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:32 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Way to go Waffles! Word to the wise... get a house inspection - make your purchase contigent upon the results. It will tell you if there is really anything major like radon gas in the basement, hidden foundation or structural problems. I know a lot about houses and have done a lot of remodeling myself but I would still hire a pro to inspect if I were buying. It's a couple of hundred dollars well spent. You can sometimes use the result to beat up the seller some on price too. Although it sounds to me like the land alone is worth the offer you made.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:43 PM
66JameStang
4th Gear Member

This is gonna sound like a bum question but did you just look for foreclosures online? I was thinking about taking that same route but I was not sure how to go about it?
Old 06-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Contact a Realtor. Find one you like, tell them what you want, let them bring them to you.

Don't sign up for any of these sites with foreclosures you have to pay to see. that info is out there for free.

And HGC, Kat's mom's friend's husband is a home inspector. Will inspect any home we want for the gas money.

We're waiting to hear more tomorrow.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:39 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Waffles, this is fantastic news! I bought my first house in 1982 in south New Jersey for $59k and it was 1/2 that house with a crap detached one car garage on a 40 x 150 lot. I built my first Mustang in the garage (a 68 fastback GT, highland green and a rust bucket that today would be considered very restorable - I didn't have a clue). You guys could have that thing paid off in no time and with 2 acres, the sky is the limit. Congratulations!
Old 06-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

ANNNNNND I start my new job tomorrow! After being laid off for over a year, I got hired for new car sales for a huge Ford dealership tomorrow.

But it sounds like I'll be in a bidding war for the house. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:14 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Hmmmm..

I think I have already seen you house....

Congrats on your home, sounds like you might get a great deal.

My wife is from the greater Detroit area, (born in Dearborn, pretty cool for a Ford convert like me.) My father in law and the rest of her family there are none too impressed with the real estate values there..

But for a buyer... can hardly go wrong...

I am glad for you, especially for the garage...
Attached Thumbnails Looking at buying my first house;-waffleshouse5.jpg  

Last edited by JMD; 06-23-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:32 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Waffles
ANNNNNND I start my new job tomorrow! After being laid off for over a year, I got hired for new car sales for a huge Ford dealership tomorrow.

But it sounds like I'll be in a bidding war for the house. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Congrats on the job! I still think Ford is ahead of the game on quality and choice. Damn near bought an Escape a month ago to replace our 99 Cherokee. Still might if tomorrow the shop says the air won't work because of a bad compressor.
Just remember, don't buy all the cars yourself. I know it's tempting. Friend of mine just bought new snake from the dealer here in town. White with blue stripes and 500 HP. Out of my price range.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:33 AM
69FB
4th Gear Member

Waffles if you sell a lot of cars maybe they'll let you drive a new mustang as a dealer car.

Oh and I couldn't stay with you I have too many relatives up there that would demand I'd stay with them. I'd love to come see that barn, your car, meet the wife and yourself in person though.

I won't be able to make it this year b/c I don't know if I mentioned this but I was let go from my full-time job end of March with Smith Barney. My part-time job with Best Buy is almost full-time and the money is tight till I can find a new one.

Good luck on the house and hopefully the other bidders will back out or change their mind.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:37 PM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 69FB
Waffles if you sell a lot of cars maybe they'll let you drive a new mustang as a dealer car.
I know our Ford dealer in town here loves to see me pull up in my '69, I should think they'd love to have him drive his and park it in sight for everyone to see.

Quick Reply: Looking at buying my first house;