Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Getting a Welder... Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 10:37 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Default Getting a Welder... Suggestions?

So my dad is looking for a welder for various tasks, probably going to get a used one or if there are some relatively inexpensive good welders out there we're all ears. What do we need? MIG? TIG? I've heard lots about both but don't know which is the better route, pros/cons, etc.

We won't be doing any super heavy duty welding, probably just like floor pans, repairs to maybe a seat track that's broken right now, and simple things like that. If we get good at it we might progress to bigger things if we get another project car.

So what should we look into? prices? any suggestions are welcome, thanks.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:40 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

some of the lincoln 110 migs from home deopt are good, and most of those also dont require gas...
i have one and i love it. ive welded some roll cage type stuff on and seat mounts and had no problems
Old 06-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

I have a 110 Lincoln MIG and a 220 TIG. I use the MIG 95% of the time. The TIG just takes up room. It is good for aluminum and stainless but welding on these rusty cars it just doesn't work that well. I prefer the Lincoln over the miller machines. I have had alot of experience with both and I get a better weld from the Lincoln. Others will tell you the same about millers over Lincolns but you will have to try out the various machines to get what works for you. Get a machine that uses gas. You can go with the flux core but I think you will be happier with the gas welders.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:16 AM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

I picked up a flux core mig welder used for cheap to do my fender apron and radiator support recently. Think I paid maybe $50 for it.

It did the job on my fender, etc but I also knew the welds were in a spot where no one would ever see them. I would not attempt something like a quarter with it, but if you are doing floor pans, inner fender work or something along those lines where no one will really see it then it works fine and makes a decent weld that will hold.

If you can get a gas one that is the way to go. Having used my friend's mig with gas when doing my floor pans I have to say that the flux core is a real hassle to get even decent looking much less nice looking welds in comparison.

I would also find one with the greatest range / amount of heat settings that you can afford.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:48 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

MILLER - MILLER - MILLER

Whether a 110V or a 220V, IMO Miller offers the best "bang for the buck" for the home user.

I have a 220V MillerMatic that we have used a LOT, from making 40' flatbed trailer to doing sheet metal work on my 39.

It has never broken down, works flawless, and makes pretty welds.

I also have a 110V Lincoln gas welder that worked "ok" but was not strong enough to weld in the slightly thicker gage metal of my firewall, so I bought the Miller, I can say that the Miller was one of the better tool buys I have made.

Shop around and you will find that the Millers are well priced when compared to lesser machines.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:34 AM
toybreaker
2nd Gear Member

Mig for sure. Gas shielded makes better/prettier welds. When buying used test it before you shell out any money.

I have a Hobart 220v mig. I can use flux core or gas. I prefer Gas.
I like my hobart over Miller and Lincoln. but if i had to choose i would go with miller......
Old 06-30-2009, 01:09 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by toybreaker
Mig for sure. Gas shielded makes better/prettier welds. When buying used test it before you shell out any money.

I have a Hobart 220v mig. I can use flux core or gas. I prefer Gas.
I like my hobart over Miller and Lincoln. but if i had to choose i would go with miller......
Hobart and Miller are made by the same company, they are essentially the same machine.

I have heard that some of the "wear parts" are of lesser quality on Hobart machines. (Like plastic wire feed wheels instead of metal, etc.)

But good machines none the less.

(Don't Hobart that joint my friend.......)
Old 06-30-2009, 01:50 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

I have a Hobart140 its the same as the Miller, works great for sheetmetal and is very portable. Its not the greatest welder in the world but it works pretty well.

The biggest thing with the small portable welders is getting the gas setup. The difference in weld quality is very noticeable, unless you want to spend twice as much time grinding welds down. I used the flux core wire a couple times and it slags everywhere, and drips on you when welding overhead. Falling drops of molten metal makes the same smell as a burger falling through the grille into the fire... not pretty, and it hurts a bit.

I replaced the wheel in mine and got them from the Miller dealer, you can upgrade them easy enough, since all the parts are pretty much the same, just different materials sometimes.

Now if you want a very good welder that is flexible and does an outstanding job on sheetmetal, get one of the 220V ones, expect to pay around $1300-$2200 for them. Its what I want but cant afford yet.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:30 PM
snorulz
2nd Gear Member

my hobart handler 140 has metal wire feed wheels and half the parts say miller, Mine came from a weld shop and not a big box store, i have been told the big box stores sell a lesser quality machine. I haven't confirmed it though.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:54 PM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

GAS GAS GAS GAS GAS GAS

whatever you do GET GAS.

flux core is a pain, looks like crap and is a pain.

if youre only doing floor pans and the like a 110VAC welder is fine (lincoln 135 would be excellent and decent price for a welder).

TIG has its place in welder but you wont want to start out with TIG because its more of an art then MIG.

ive used miller & lincoln but im a fan of lincoln.

Quick Reply: Getting a Welder... Suggestions?