Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Gotta love those 6 foot long NPD packages

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 10:48 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Default Gotta love those 6 foot long NPD packages

Got home to find a six foot long box from NPD on the front porch. Now the wife is asking how long this sits in the family room. Probably about a week since I forgot to order the hangers. She's cool with that, as long as I stay out of the formal living room. Right now the car has a single glasspack on it and is pretty loud. I'm guessing the PO used that because it was the only thing he could buy which would fit the strange shape and routing of the 65 exhaust. He was able to stick the glasspack up under the car where the original muffler sat crossways. Then he routed the inlet in one side and the outlet out the other, which moved the tailpipe to left side of the car.
This puts it back to factory. Since this is not a restomod it is not supposed to be loud anyway.
I have to say, NPD is great. I ordered this Sunday night and it's here on Wednesday. Seems like heavy, good quality stuff too. $140 for all this is not bad at all.

Also got a new speedometer for $75. The old one just won't stop clicking even with a new cable. Plus, the odometer won't work anymore. The old one was stuck rolled over at 09990 when I got the car. The PO said mileage was actually 115000, so I think I'll roll this one forward to 016000 to stay accurate. I've been doing what he did...estimating miles by gallons of gas used.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:02 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

SWEET! That should sound nice and mellow compared to that glass pack. I just hope you dont say to yourself "man I wish it was louder" Its going to be a world of difference.

Its like Christmass every time I get a package in. Open it all up in the living room and spread it out and then pack it away until its time to install. Looks like you are ready for some fun.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:08 AM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

i will never order from NPD
it was horrible when i tried to before. never again
Old 07-09-2009, 12:14 AM
HGC
4th Gear Member

I've never been a loud car guy and this 65 just does not sound right for the way it looks. When I was a kid I put headers and glasspacks on my 69 351. It was just too loud inside. Of course the glasspacks were attached to the headers the whole system terminated just under the front seats. I replaced the glass packs with mufflers and once they blew out a little it sounded nice. Rumbled, but was not obnoxious. Only problem was we had to weld the mufflers to the headers. They produced more back pressure than the glasspacks and I kept blowing them off if I got on it heavy. By heavy I mean holding the gas pedal to the floor without letting up, even through the speed shifts. I used to be really good at that.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:15 AM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Man I just can't keep running this 1 3/4 exhaust with hot burning unleaded gasoline. Cracked an exhaust manifold once and hope to never again by upgrading the head pipe to 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 pipe.

I also have a cherrybomb on mine. I think it sounds sweet.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:28 AM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

Well if you want a quiet car the stock setup should do that. I was asked numerous times if it was a 6 cylinder because it didn't make any noise before I had the switch to dual exhaust.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:55 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Im in the boat of having a 69 with a 351 and it is just too loud inside the car. It drones, and is almost annoying to ride in. But it does sound good when I get on it. I will be replacing my 2.5 inch flowmaster 40's with something, maybe some 50 delta flows..
Old 07-09-2009, 01:09 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Jim, if your old exhaust was too loud, why don't you just turn down your hearing aids?

sorry couldn't help that one.

But that new exhaust system looks nice and clean. If anyone wants to help with interior noise definitely sound deaden the entire car... it will help tremendously. Before I couldn't even hear the person next to me in my car with my dual glass packs and all the road noise. Now I can have a conversation at normal voice level with the tone of my beast in the background I love it
Old 07-09-2009, 03:14 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4reboy
Jim, if your old exhaust was too loud, why don't you just turn down your hearing aids?

sorry couldn't help that one.

But that new exhaust system looks nice and clean. If anyone wants to help with interior noise definitely sound deaden the entire car... it will help tremendously. Before I couldn't even hear the person next to me in my car with my dual glass packs and all the road noise. Now I can have a conversation at normal voice level with the tone of my beast in the background I love it

You are not lying about the sound deadner.. I have done my entire cabin and about half of the trunk and it cut down the sound tremendously.. but its still loud as hell with the 40's
Old 07-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

I have some flowmaster 50s on my 94 and I love the sound They're not too loud at all, almost perfect with a nice deep rumble.

Quick Reply: Gotta love those 6 foot long NPD packages