Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Restore it or RestoMod ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 04:28 PM
clay lewis

Default Restore it or RestoMod ???

I have just purchased a 100% complete, nearly rust free '69 Fastback complete w/ a 6 cyl. It's got manual everything. this was a bare bones plane jane car. VIN starts w/ 9R02L.
My first thought was, I'm gonna take it apart and rebuild it w/ all modern technology installed to make reliable daily driver that has a classic look, but after going over the car I almost hate to do it b/c it's so complete and original. It was parked in storage in 1987 and properly cared for even while in storage. It's never been wrecked or rebuilt, it was repainted in 1977, other than that it's 100% complete and original, but if I were to restore it back to what it was built to be I'm not going to want to putt around in a pokey 6 cylinder w/ no a/c, an AM radio or power anything. I would probably just sell it to someone who could appreciate it more than me.
I dunno, what do you guys think ?
Should I destroy this piece of history and build what I want, or preserve it for what it is ?
as for monitary value, how much would it be worth now like it sits, and about how much if properly restored ? ( just estimated guesses ) I really don't know what it's worth, I picked it up for 1500 bucks, which was a steal.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:48 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

well a properly restored 6 cyl sportsroof (technically not a fastback) probably won't bring much value other than it being a 69 sportsroof. I think putting in a newer/better engine, power brakes, a/c, or w/e you want will only help it's value. I say restomod it, but don't do anything that can't be semi-easily reversed...

I say put in an 80's 5.0 or 5.8l w/ fuel injection, some AC, power disc brakes, and all that good stuff, but keep the "look" original. You don't need to modify the bodies on these cars because they're already gorgeous. If the exterior paint is a nice color as well paint it the original color, it's my personal preference for these cars to be the original paint color (provided that it's a nice color ) I just think it adds that extra coolness factor.

If this car was a mach 1 I would say restore it relatively correctly with basic mods, but since it's the complete base model 6 cyl update this sucker! a concourse correct 6 cyl sportsroof isn't what a lot of people are looking to buy
Old 07-14-2009, 05:23 PM
jonward786
3rd Gear Member

(imo) 100% original resto's are for folks with rare optioned cars who are looking to sell/museum the thing. if thats not you, then just make it a fun driver. make it your own
Old 07-14-2009, 06:52 PM
waldo786
2nd Gear Member

I agree, I got a 66 I6 that I'm restomoding. I want the handling and comfort of a modern car with that cool classic look so lots of non stock add ons. In my opinion that's the way to go.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:20 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jonward786
(imo) 100% original resto's are for folks with rare optioned cars who are looking to sell/museum the thing. if thats not you, then just make it a fun driver. make it your own
Originals aren't just for selling or museums. Some folks prefer them.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

It is a 6 banger so there isn't as much value. I say you could mod it tastefully and retain or even improve the value of it.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:40 PM
jonward786
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by honeygoldcoupe
good point! i forgot to mention there are all sorts of different ppl in this world, fun ppl, boring ppl, ect ect
Old 07-14-2009, 07:42 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

That is a rare 69, keep it original. Roughly 18% of 69 mustangs got a 6cyl. That makes this car 1 of 52,800 or so mustangs with a 6cyl. Then I would say half that since most people consider the 6cyl weak and want a V8, so you might be looking at 1 of 26,400.

Last edited by 1slow67; 07-14-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Gun Jam

Go with your initial idea. Mod it so you have old skL looks but modern performance in the way of suspension, drive train, and engine. Disc brake and electronic ignition and some type of clutch or electric fan...maybe even trans upgrades and v8 swap later on.

or sell it and find one for a bit less that needs some work so you can build a car that drives awesome without feeling bad for possibly "lowering" its value

I can tell already your going to make modifications... you'll add one modern thing maybe an aluminum radiator an be so impressed with the results that it will lead to one more mod like a front anti-sway bar that will improve handling so much that you'll now want modern shocks, lowering springs and then a monte carlo bar and export brace......... see where this is going?

Mod this one later or sell it and mod another one now..... thats how its going to end for you buddy

-Gun
Old 07-14-2009, 09:35 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by honeygoldcoupe
good point! i forgot to mention there are all sorts of different ppl in this world, fun ppl, boring ppl, ect ect
If you mean the way we keep our cars I think you're being too hard on the mod guys. I don't think they're boring at all, in spite of what everybody says.

Last edited by HGC; 07-14-2009 at 09:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Restore it or RestoMod ???