Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Proper way to spend $1500 and my moment of weakness.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 02:57 AM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Default Proper way to spend $1500 and my moment of weakness.

So I have been away from the classic section for some time. I have become a little fed up with my car and working alot of overtime, so the perfect storm.

So to begin with my moment of weakness. I was getting fed up with my car with my carb blowing and after doing the 5 speed conversion. The clutch linkage and clutch pedal didn't go as well as I wanted and needed some adjustment, big pain the ***, and I was done for the time being so I let it sit. It almost caused me to sell my 67 for a 94 GT 5speed in a belief it would be a better car. I was about one step from buying one and putting mine up for sale. What stopped me was a drive I took Friday. Took the car out of garage for a change and went to Gamestop and Subway. When I came out of Gamestop the was a couple people looking at it, and an older guy started talking about when he had one when it was new. That isn't going to happen with a 94, just going to blend in and be another car.

So now I decided with switching to nights next week at work I will have more time to work on my car I should make it more pleasant to drive. So I'm setting aside $1500 to upgrade. I imagine $400 is going to go to the carb rebuild (waiting on a quote from Pony Carbs on that 4100 Tad) and new intake. Another $500 to the suspension, what parts yet, I don't know (all orginial other than the front struts). For the last bit I don't know, any suggestions on the suspension and what to do with the last $600 or so would be great. This is a very well stock 67 mustang except for the trans now.

Quick points:
-Been away from the section for a while because of work and car
-Was frustrated with the car; overtime thought of selling for a 94 GT, comments swayed me other wise.
-Decided to put $1500 to upgrades
-$400 to carb and intake
-$500 to suspension (what parts?)
-$600 to anywhere else (interior is in good shape)
-Help me decide what to buy to improve the driveability of a halfway decent original 67 mustang.
-Hey guys what's going on, anything fun I missed?
Old 07-26-2009, 03:13 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

excuse me for asking but why the hell would you pay 400$ to rebuild a carb hen you can do it for about 35??

do you have front disc?? if not www.discbrakeswap.com

and since you have a 5speed now i suggest gears. do you still have the 8 inch??? if so go to the junkyard and find a truck with an 8 inch and some 4.10s etc and pirate them and put that pumpkin in your car
Old 07-26-2009, 03:19 AM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmodel65
excuse me for asking but why the hell would you pay 400$ to rebuild a carb hen you can do it for about 35??

do you have front disc?? if not www.discbrakeswap.com

and since you have a 5speed now i suggest gears. do you still have the 8 inch??? if so go to the junkyard and find a truck with an 8 inch and some 4.10s etc and pirate them and put that pumpkin in your car
It's not a rebuild I can do myself with a kit. Hell if it was I would of done that a long time ago. My 2100 went out and I have to get some bushings pressed on. Hell if you want to take a shot at the 4100 I would be more than happy to pay you and send it your way. I haven't had a chance to look at it since I got it from Tad really, so if he sees this thread hopefully he will post what it needs.

Right now I have money to work on the car but no time to work on it. Hopefully that will change in the next couple weeks.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I have a set of 3.80's for my 8 sitting at my friends place, I just need him to send them to me.

If you know off the top of your head is that brake kit complete, or are there other parts I would need to source? Or I'll try to give them a call next week. That was one upgrade I was contomplating.

Last edited by remicks; 07-26-2009 at 03:23 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:23 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

im not big into rebuild carb and shipping stuff in and out, but Soaring(idk if you remember him) is iirc glenwren8216@hotmail.com
Old 07-26-2009, 03:25 AM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Yeah I remember Glen. I'm trying to remember what Tad told me, I think the carb needed pretty well close to a reman.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:28 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

i have a 4100 i was gonna rebuild but i gotta drill out the mixture screws currently i have a holley on the 65 which is way to big its a 670 street avenger way more than my current mild 302 needs
Old 07-26-2009, 03:39 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I was test driving my Lincoln this afternoon, took the ramp onto hwy 70, took a peek in my rearview as I was accererating just about to 70 mph, and I spot something that LOOKS like a Classic Mustang in that mirror....

Well what I do is I take my foot off that pedal coast down to about 62, and let that Mustang catch up and pass me..... I got to see that it was a younger couple driving a pretty damn nice 67 with the windows down and big smiles on their faces....

I will have to say that if that Mustang would have been a 94, or anything but a classic, I wouldn't have even noticed it, but I saw it better than a 1/4 mile behind me and I slowed down just to get a look at it....

Keep the classic...

Mustang Steve clutch cable, fix that clutch, if it ain't right it will steal your joy...

And I am kind of with Rmodel on the carb too, put the Autolite in a box and buy a new one.... Edelbrock, Holley, or even one of those Summitt carbs...

Last edited by JMD; 07-26-2009 at 03:44 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:49 AM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMD
I was test driving my Lincoln this afternoon, took the ramp onto hwy 70, took a peek in my rearview as I was accererating just about to 70 mph, and I spot something that LOOKS like a Classic Mustang in that mirror....

Well what I do is I take my foot off that pedal coast down to about 62, and let that Mustang catch up and pass me..... I got to see that it was a younger couple driving a pretty damn nice 67 with the windows down and big smiles on their faces....

I will have to say that if that Mustang would have been a 94, or anything but a classic, I wouldn't have even noticed it, but I saw it better than a 1/4 mile behind me and I slowed down just to get a look at it....

Keep the classic...

Mustang Steve clutch cable, fix that clutch, if it ain't right it will steal your joy...

And I am kind of with Rmodel on the carb too, put the Autolite in a box and buy a new one.... Edelbrock, Holley, or even one of those Summitt carbs...
That's exactly what went through my head when talking to the guy in the parking lot.

I have the Mustang Steve kit, I just really need to get under the dash and either cut down the quadrant or pound out the cowl some more. I thought I had it right the first time but I was wrong. It's just a pain in the *** awkward place.

You really think the 4100 isn't worth it? Do you have a decent one to suggest for a 289? I just want to make sure the style choke I would be looking for would be an electric right? I'm not that strong of chokes.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:00 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Well that sucks about the Steves kit,,,

You are right it is a bitch hammering the cowl up enough, I want to say we used a big heavy piech of round steel stock and a BFH, and it took a few good shots. I am assuming that the quadrant is hitting the cowl? That would steal some joy...

I HAVE never had much luck with carb rebuilds, I don't have the patience to do them myself, and EVERY one I have had done by others has never been right.

IMO, new ones are cheap enough that I just don't like the drama of it all..

I have never bought an Edelbrock that did not work right out of the box...

No doubt, the 4100 is a GREAT carb, but you are likely to spend some $$ to get it right... If I were you and I wanted to keep the 4100 I would suck it up ($$) and send it to Pony carbs, which is ironicly right here in Las Cruces....

I think their website has pricing on it...
Old 07-26-2009, 04:10 AM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Yeah Steve's kit even says in the directions to pound out the cowl, its just in that nice PITA place but I guess there is no way around it.

Pony Carbs doesn't have prices on the rebuilds/cores because they say it differs on the quality of the carb you send them, case by case scenario. They have prices on already rebuilt ones, about $500 to 800 depending on what you want.

But I'm not that educated on the different carbs, I know about what CFM you need depending on the engine size and mods but as to beyond that, not so much. I like the 4100 due to the simplicity and reliability once you get it right and I figure where else better to get that than Pony Carbs.

Quick Reply: Proper way to spend $1500 and my moment of weakness.