Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Please help with my '66 classic

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 11:37 AM
camarozz

Default Please help with my '66 classic

Hello,

I have a '66 coupe V8 Auto that needed a new suspension, so I got one and rebuilt it.

My question is referring to my ride height and coil springs. My starting ride height was about 24" which is about an 1.5" lower than stock. I was assuming it was the original springs since it looked really "low".

Basically bought a grab-a-trak system, bushings, arm rebuild, ball joints, and gt "stock" coil springs. Also did the UCA relocation.

first I noticed the old springs were exactly the same height as the new ones; but I installed them anyway.

After the rebuild, I notice absolutely NO difference in ride height; although my horrible camber issue was noticably better, but still looks off.

I emailed my supplier for verification of the springs I should have received, but Im still looking for the stock coil spring dimensions to verify what I should have expected.

Also I was hoping to get some opinions on the possibility that I could have or be missing that could affect the loss of nearly two inches.

thanks
Steve
Old 08-10-2009, 12:13 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Unlike GM vehicles that have the spring above the lower control arm, like A and F bodys, the Mustang takes a while to settle. When I rebuild a Mustang or Cougar front end it is usually higher in front until it has been driven a few miles, it might take a few weeks to reach its normal height. The springs I put back in the Cougar are the same ones I pulled out, yet the car is sitting very nose high compared to before. It has a heavier engine in it now, and the front end is heavier than it was before, yet it still sits nose high like this. Give it some time and it will come down a bit.

Before:

After:
Old 08-10-2009, 01:04 PM
camarozz

thank you for your response; and yes that is exactly my experience.

But this case is new to me, I have not seen a new set of springs actually be slightly lower than the ones removed.

There is absolutely NO increase in ride height, and I would suspect that I will lose some after it settles. So in a sense I could be looking at a 2.5-3 inch lower ride than stock; and I was expecting stock.

I even bought rear springs to help even out the ride after the new springs but I wont install them until I figure why the front is SOOOO low.

I can post pictures if that would help.

Last edited by camarozz; 08-10-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:15 PM
camarozz

Well, I thought I could post pictures...

Well, anyway, trust me, for new springs installed they are WAY TOO LOW. So unless I can find a problem, or there is something that Im not thinking of that could cause that, Im going with the possibility that the springs are incorrect.

can anyone tell me what the stock spring dimensions are so I can compare to what I have?

Last edited by camarozz; 08-10-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Gun Jam

Way too low?
That's not usually an issue normally the front sits too high and the car squats.

You said it was 24" in the front right? That's 24" from the ground to the top of the fender arc apex just above the tire right?

I think that's a good start and you're on the right path. All you have to do now is run a lower profile tire and hope the springs settle a bit more. Then you can be as cool as me with a 22 and 7/8 inch ride height

Then all you have to do is run an MC bar and a 1& 1/8th inch front anti sway bar and you will have a car that actually goes where you point it.

If we wanted to drive off road we would have bought original hummers right?

-Gun
Old 08-10-2009, 02:22 PM
camarozz

Yeah, I did not really expect a hummer...

yeah, measurements are made on level ground, ground to fender lip.

But I truly thought I would get at least an inch change; I actually was expecting to have to cut part of a coil off, but not be worried about hitting a bump while turning and hearing fender scrape. (Which I had/have )

It looks fine right now, but I really do not want to lose any more height.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:02 PM
Gun Jam

Are you trying to get a level stance or do you want the nose down a bit?

what tire are you running in the front. I have never had the front tires touch the fender even with my current ride height of 22 & 7/8th inch.

-Gun
Old 08-10-2009, 03:32 PM
camarozz

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
Are you trying to get a level stance or do you want the nose down a bit?

what tire are you running in the front. I have never had the front tires touch the fender even with my current ride height of 22 & 7/8th inch.

-Gun
tires are 205/70 14, and the more I think of if, maybe I didnt hear any scraping since the change; although it has only been a couple of days on the road now.
Still seems kinda soft, which doesnt bother me too much, and with the new bushings on the sway bar it seems to have minimized the mega body roll that was happening before. I suppose that was the cause of the scraping too.

I was hoping for a level stace, about the lower end of stock ride height of 25 1/2 - 26 1/2 inches; which looks like the fender should be at the top of the tread. Then with the new rear springs I would have hoped to see a small rake that the car could settle into.

There isnt anything else that really determines the ride height is there? Since the car sits level and drives straight, even after the "eyeball" alignment I did, I would think there is not damage under there. (I did look, but did not see anything obvious.)
Old 08-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Gun Jam

im running a 195/60/14 so the difference shouldn't be profound and I have about 1.5 inch clearance between the fender and the tire.

The Shelby drop will lower the car about .5" I hear

I dont think anything is wrong or damaged... as long as the tire isnt rubbing on the fender, I think you should stick with it, give it a month and 300 or more miles then re-evaluate.

here is a pic of mine

-Gun
Old 08-10-2009, 04:09 PM
camarozz

If I could post pictures you could see, but my stance seems even lower than yours; I cannot see the top inch or so of my tire.

As it sits, with the proper alignment (camber is noticeably tilted inwards), it would probably look fine. I would just be concerned with it sagging any more than it is. I have lost between 1 and 2 inches before after settling.

Quick Reply: Please help with my '66 classic