Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

how to wire parking lights to stay on with headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 05:25 AM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Default how to wire parking lights to stay on with headlights?

how should i go about doing this? do i splice in a power connection at the low beam wire near the headlight pigtail?
Old 11-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

Your parking lights are your turn signals also, right? I know this is why they are on at first pull and go off when the headlights go on on my '67.

You would have to find a way to interrupt the constant on signal when the TS switch is activated otherwise you'll loose your blinkers. It'll probably screw with the rear TS working also as even a burnt front bulb slows them down or stops them.
Jon
Old 11-22-2009, 01:03 PM
rbinck
1st Gear Member

There are separate filaments for the blinkers.

I would not jumper the parking lights to the headlights because it will cause the headlights to come on when the light switch is in the parking light position.

What I would do is to find the wire feeding the rear tail lights and reconnect the front parking light wire to it under the dash. The rear tail lights, the dash lights and the license plate lights come on with the light switch in the park light position as well as the headlight position. And that's what you want for the parking lights.

Here is a '65 wiring schematic: http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/wiring/1965/1965e.jpg
Pictorial: http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/wiring/1965/1965d.jpg

The taillight wire is #14 (blk) and the front parking light wire is #11 (blk-yel). You could disconnect wire #11 from the light switch and reconnect wire #11 to wire #14. Or you could probably just put a jumper between wire #11 and wire #14.

Last edited by rbinck; 11-22-2009 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Added schematic link.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:04 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

That is exactly right and the way most aftermarket harnesses do it. A jumper on the headlight switch from the tail lights to the parking lights, done!
Old 11-22-2009, 03:12 PM
guybored
2nd Gear Member

I have always wanted to do this to my 65. never found out exactly how to do it, a couple of months ago while searching for efi swap I found a guy who did this to his 66. don;t know if it will mess with the turn signals, don't think so since the "original gt" had them one with the headlights. Let me search for the pic I saved and Ill post it up, I remember form the top of my head that you cold move a wire. Or you could install a diode. I'll post it later since I gotta go runs some errans.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:11 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Thanks guys great info

If I do not know how to solder wires and it would be a tight spot to do so near the headlight switch can I splice a connection using wire crimps?

Does anyone know what those snap splices are called like are on the headlight pigtail? That would work wouldnt it?

Last edited by nba1341; 11-22-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:33 PM
guybored
2nd Gear Member

Here is the pic I mentioned don't know if it will help. Can't remember or find the person who posted this to give them credit.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:51 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by guybored
Here is the pic I mentioned don't know if it will help. Can't remember or find the person who posted this to give them credit.

very nice thank you didn't know it was that simple!
Old 11-24-2009, 05:11 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I always wanted to do this as well, but figured I would have issues from doing so. Now I can't decide. Has anyone else done this?

What was the reason they didn't light up with the headlights from the factory? Was it because of the low output alternators?
Old 11-26-2009, 10:31 AM
rbinck
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx65coupe
I always wanted to do this as well, but figured I would have issues from doing so. Now I can't decide. Has anyone else done this?

What was the reason they didn't light up with the headlights from the factory? Was it because of the low output alternators?
Probably due to state laws at the time. Parking lights were just supposed to be that, indicating the car was parked, I guess. It is still illegal to drive in Texas with just the parking lights on, although I don't think it is enforced anymore.

Ford wanted to introduce the sequential blinkers in the '64 model, but had to delay the feature until the '65 model due to a couple state laws that needed changing. Also there was a similar deal with using the 4 headlights that started in '58.

Quick Reply: how to wire parking lights to stay on with headlights?