Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

WHY ME...WHY ME! I'm starting to second guess this whole FORD THING!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 12:34 AM
TNTS70STANG
1st Gear Member

You guys are hilarious! I love it! I was just kiddin about the whole Ford thing! I was just making conversation! I've had Fords for over 15 years. I love all makes but I've had the most fun with Fords.

Thanks for the info.

I finally took it to a local Carb shop. It's actually the shop that rebuilt the carb. They're gonna see what they can do.

You guys take it easy and I'll let you know the outcome!

-TNT
Old 12-04-2009, 01:27 AM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Hollys are for every car not just for fords bud. Get an edelbrock if you want easy tuning otherwise start learning
Old 12-04-2009, 03:26 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I'll stand up for him most mechanics under 40 have never seen a carb let know how to tune or rebuild one.Yeah hollys are really touchyi run edelbrock or barry grant.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:53 AM
roush 427R
1st Gear Member

I know they fit Ford engines, but aren't Edelbrock carbs mainly for Chitys (Chevys)? I know when I was going to get an Edelbrock carb (due to ease of installation) for one of my Mustangs, I got a lot of crap from my friends.

Hopefully you just get the Holly carb figured out.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:12 AM
TNTS70STANG
1st Gear Member

Again...kidding about the bashing on Fords! I've been around them for too long to not like them.

I had an Edelbrock on there and although you're right that they are easy to tune, it never stayed in tune. I noticed that when I got this Holley, there was a pretty good horsepower difference, torque difference and over-all performance difference. I know that once this Holley is tuned, it stays tuned. It's just a bitch to tune at first. I'm sure that the shop will take care of it.

Thanks again for the help!

-TNT
Old 12-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Gun Jam

I have wide band A/F gauge used to tune my carter AFB 600 (AKA edelbrock performer series 600 cfm) It seems to stay tuned pretty well it never drifts too far from adjustment one way or the other.

Are you sure you're getting clean fuel to it...no little bits of rust or dirt?

-Gun
Old 12-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Robobble
2nd Gear Member

lol, op, why are you thanking the folks that are being so downright rude? God, people on this forum can be really helpful at times and really brutal other times. Like that guy that ran water through his shelby's crankcase lmao. I felt so bad for him. I guess it was pretty dumb to speak ill of Ford on a Ford forum though.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:48 PM
JDraper
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNTS70STANG
Again...kidding about the bashing on Fords! I've been around them for too long to not like them.

I had an Edelbrock on there and although you're right that they are easy to tune, it never stayed in tune. I noticed that when I got this Holley, there was a pretty good horsepower difference, torque difference and over-all performance difference. I know that once this Holley is tuned, it stays tuned. It's just a bitch to tune at first. I'm sure that the shop will take care of it.

Thanks again for the help!

-TNT
My '66 HATED the Edelbrock carb I put on it. Never could get it tuned right with the combo we have. We tried everything in the book and it just wouldn't dial in. Swapped to a Holley 570 Street Avenger and it tuned in beautifully. Had to modify the jetting, power pump and secondary opening rate to get it right, but now it runs like a champ!!
Old 12-04-2009, 05:25 PM
TNTS70STANG
1st Gear Member

Do you guys think that a 670cfm is too much?
Old 12-04-2009, 06:14 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

With vacuum secondaries no 670 isnt too much. I like spread bore carbs better, but a Holley will work. I havent tried the new Avenger carbs yet, but I have had great experiences with both single and dual feed Holleys. I dont have much need to buy any more carburetors, I have a big pile of them to choose from so I doubt I will get one just to find out.

Quick Reply: WHY ME...WHY ME! I'm starting to second guess this whole FORD THING!