Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

66 pulls hard left when braking NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 07:19 AM
JDraper
2nd Gear Member

Hmmm...just another thought. I remembered that we had our '66 jerking hard right on the brakes at one point, and it was because the upper A-Arm nuts had worked loose causing the shims between the right A-Arm and the body to drop out. This let the right front suspension "float" causing the car to jerk to one side under braking as the wheel shifted.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:35 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Drum/drum brakes needs to be adjusted correctly. I adjust them to the point where the wheel gets hard to turn then back the adjuster off untill the wheel turns free (the wheels need to be on). Air in the system (more so the front) also will cause a sudden pull to one side or the other. Look to the side that is opposite to the side its pulling to first. Bleed it and see of any air comes out. Drum brakes work pretty good if everything is adjusted correctly (that is untill they get hot). Good luck.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Dtimekw

Thanks for all the replies. We are going back to basics to see if we missed something simple. It would seem we have but boy this is a real head knocker.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:29 AM
darkngtz
2nd Gear Member

holy crap! my 67 coupe pulls to the left slightly when i brake..........i hope i dont have a headache like you do when i attempt to cure this lol
Old 12-07-2009, 01:36 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Have you replaced the hoses that go to the wheel cylinders from the hard line? It not something most people think about when they are having brake problems. The hoses dont leak, they seem to work, and fluid comes out so they are good right? They start to delaminate inside and often a piece will hang down and not allow fluid to pass one way or the other under pressure, but bleeding them works just fine. Apply the brakes and one side locks up the other does nothing. Typical textbook clue to replace the hose.

Im surprised nobody here has mentioned it yet.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Dtimekw

Hoses eh? I am almost at that point, in fact, I will order a set from NPD and if I find I need to open the system up (or start replacing till it's fixed), I'll go ahead and replace the lines. I thought of this too but they look fairly new (guessing within the last 5 yrs?) but I know that is not always indicative. This is also a teaching thing for my son so I let him bash his head a little then I come on here and get new suggestions from you guys

I will keep chugging ahead and keep everyone posted. This is certainly a head scratcher.....

thanks again guys, appreciate the support and help with this.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:49 PM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

Be sure to let us know what it is when you do find it. These are the type of things I like to put into my mental notes for later use.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Dtimekw

Will do.

Question: Are the shoe return springs (top going from anchor point to each shoe) the same size/shape? I am finding conflicting information. I just ordered some and am a little confused.....
Old 12-09-2009, 08:11 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Im still with finding a loose steering/suspension component. The strut rod on that side might be loose and when you brake it lets the wheel come forward changing the steering geometry up a bit. Did you get the wheels off the ground and see if they clunked any while trying to move it back and forth, in and out, and side to side. Maybe you missed something with your new poly bushings.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Dtimekw

I checked and double checked but that doesn't mean I couldn't have missed anything. I did notice something when I was checking the suspension. the top of the drivers shock (in the engine bay) wants to slide back toward the firewall when the two shock tower bolts are loosened (caster). The pass side stays centered in the shock tower when I loosen the bolts. I also am gettin my butt kicked with the adjuster springs and anchor springs too. NPD sent me some but they don't seem to want to fit correctly and I don't know what they should look like. The adjuster springs are twisted differently as are the anchor springs. Does anyone have good pics of their drums? I am pulling what little hair that I have out of my head

Quick Reply: 66 pulls hard left when braking NEED HELP!