Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Need Some Help!! Bought a 67 coupe V8! Where do i start?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 07:43 AM
IvanTellez1

Default Need Some Help!! Bought a 67 coupe V8! Where do i start?

Hey guys i need some help i just got a 67 coupe V8
needs paint and tires and a radio
brand new carburetor and the heads have recently been cleaned

Where Do I start? thanks you for your time

Last edited by IvanTellez1; 01-01-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:07 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

What do you want from it, what shape is it in now, what is your budget, and what automotive skills do you have now?

You could do like I do.
When I buy a car its usually old. If it runs and I plan to use it as a driver I go through the brakes and check the suspension. I replace or rebuild whatever needs it, engines transmissions, brakes, etc. Then I fix whatever is broken inside, make sure the wipers, lights, and other safety stuff functions. Then after its a decent reliable driver, I start doing modifications if that is the intent for it. In this case paint and body work is the last thing I do. You end up with a driver that has some cosmetic issues for a while, but you can drive it and enjoy it while you do the work and learn new things. This is the least expensive option.

Lately I have been getting rusty cars that are intended as projects. If yours is rusted pretty bad then that changes things. First thing fixed is rusty floors and structural parts like frame rails. You need a good base for everything else. Mustangs usually rust out the cowl, and that lets water into the floor, so the second thing is the cowl if it has rust holes. If you dont fix it, you get rusty floors. Last thing is the body, quarters, fenders, doors, and whatever else has rust, then paint it. After the rust is all fixed, then you start on the mechanical stuff like suspension, brakes, engine, transmissions, etc. This option can get spendy fast.

Do the interior after paint because the dust and over spray makes a huge mess inside the car if you dont. A radio is one of the last things you worry about because if you have it turned up real loud you cant hear when that bearing starts knocking. Also the sound of a V8 is often enough musical enjoyment, unless you are traveling more than 200 miles, then the monotonous sound of the engine puts you to sleep...

Third option.

Rip it all apart and rebuild it like I have done to my Cougar and am doing to the Mustang in my sig links. That is the long way, I have done 5 other vehicles the first two ways while rebuilding the Mustang. This can also be the most expensive if you dont have all the skills needed to rebuild everything yourself, do the paint and body work, or dont have the tools or shop to do the work. I only farm out machine work on the engines, and I have plenty of free time, so I have no labor cost but the parts are usually not cheap to do it right.

So it comes down to the first line. Use, condition, funds, skills.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:03 PM
IvanTellez1

first of all thanks for the input
and here it goes i dont know much about cars but am willing to learn and learn fast right now i have only been able to look at the car in quick passes the owner started it up for me it sounded good
and is allowing me to bring in a mechanic to look at it
i got a hold of a mechanic that specializes in restoration of old stangs
so i know what im working before the buy
i think i like the first option you gave me and about the money i can but about 1000 in a month into it so where does that put me
Old 01-03-2010, 08:35 PM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

What are your plans for it. Thumpin gave you some good options. I bought mine to be a project car so I have never really even drove it. You have to purchase the car and find out what is wrong with it to decide what you are going to have to fix. A grand a month is a nice budget to work with.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:54 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

That is a nice sized budget, I would be dangerous if I could spend that much every month. These cars are easy to work on and they are a great place to start learning about cars. Rust is the biggest thing, but in California it might not be a problem. However you might have some difficulty doing work yourself, since California has some very restrictive laws.

Do you want a cruiser or daily driver? You can put up with a bit less drivable car if its only used on weekends or the occasional trip to work. A daily has to be repaired or put back together in time to make it to work the next day or on Monday, and a rowdy cam with a high idle and poor vacuum to the brakes gets old fast in traffic.

When you change one thing, there is usually a few other things that affects and they might not be readily apparent. A bigger cam means new valve springs, and possibly swapping out a torque converter, and potentially much more than that. That means you have to understand what that change will do before you do it so you dont break parts. Learning that is the fun part for me, not everyone enjoys knowing that stuff.

For now I wouldnt rip it apart and rework it like my cars, if its a driver, drive it and enjoy it. Just make sure its safe and repair what you need to when it breaks.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:54 PM
IvanTellez1

for now it needs to be a daily driver and somewhere around june july im getting a motorcycle so itll get some rest for big projects i guess
Old 01-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

I would start squirreling away your grand a month so when it is time to tear into it you have some funds set aside for the work. Nothing sucks more than not having the money to work on your car when you need it.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:15 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

wow. i'd love that. buying a classic and all it needs is radio, paint and tyres :-)
Seriously though. Just drive it for a while, keep reading this forum and rather sooner than later you'll have a wishlist that 5 miles long on what you want to do with her
Old 01-06-2010, 10:40 AM
oldrock
2nd Gear Member

I would think with your budget, I'd look at the suspension and get myself new tires and wheels if your current suspension height is where you want it. That and a front end allignment will make a world of difference on both the looks and handling of your mustang.

I know on my 69 coupe, getting new tires/wheels on mine made a big difference. Like night and day handling wise actually. I also just installed a radio in mine and it was a pretty simple job. I didn't go with a retro look, just a modern radio with cd and mp3 input. I still need to work on a custom trim to fill the gap above my radio but it is nice to have tunes in my car while cruising. My sony radio and speakers setup was under $200 and works fine for me. As for paint, like others have said, hold off on that. You need to think about what all you want to do to the car first. Good luck on teh project and how about some pics?
Old 01-07-2010, 12:44 PM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

What I did was bought the car and did a few things right away, think I wouldn't drive it until some items were done such as brakes, etc. My brakes and my front end suspension were in really bad shape however and it wasn't really safe to drive it when I bought my car. The scary thing is the kid that owned it was using it as a DD...

After my initial effort to get the car road worthy in a safe manner, I just drove it for a while and started little projects here and there. The little projects helped me to identify other things that needed attention. Even now, I have owned my car for almost 2 years and I am still making note of things and keeping a list of things that either need attention or a mod that I would like to do. Once I have my list, I can then prioritize what to do first, second, third, etc.

For example, right now I am putting a high priority on conversion of my front brakes to disc but there are lots of other things I eventually want to do such as get a performance valve body for my transmission.

Quick Reply: Need Some Help!! Bought a 67 coupe V8! Where do i start?