Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Vacuum Source Question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 01:33 AM
uwti
2nd Gear Member

Default Vacuum Source Question?

Got a 69 mustang putting in a performace 450hp 351W engine in it with a a victor Jr manifold. Everything is all together, but I am not sure where to get the vacuum for the power brakes and auto transmission as there are no additional ports in the manifold. I am reluctant to drill and tap the manifold for 2 reasons, number one is that it's alot of work and the other is that the engine may not produce enough vacuum?? I have an Edelbrock performer series carburator, can I get the vacuum from that source?
Old 03-17-2010, 01:41 PM
68stangbbf

IMO you should pull vacuum directly from the intake. You will need to drill and tap as close to the base of the carb as possible on the passenger side of the intake. As far as the engine producing enough vacuum... that would depend more on the camshaft specs. Need more info on that if you have it.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:55 PM
uwti
2nd Gear Member

Not sure of the cam specs, can I use the carburator for vacuum instead? for the trans and brake booster?
Old 03-18-2010, 08:42 AM
68stangbbf

You can tee into the line to brake booster for the trans. Edelbrock recommends taking vacuum directly from the manifold for the brakes. You could try the large port in the front center of the performer carb. I'm not sure if that is direct manifold vacuum or not (I use Holley exclusively) but until you get the engine running and test or get cam specs you won't know if you have enough vacuum. Just be careful... with the engine idling you could build enough vacuum in the booster so that it seems ok but under stop and go conditions it may not build enough vacuum quick enough and there goes your power assist... not easy to stop without it.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:54 AM
uwti
2nd Gear Member

Was thinking of adding a vacuum canister to hold some extra vacuum for exactly what you are describing, if there is any vacuum produced this may help?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-5200/

Originally Posted by 68stangbbf
You can tee into the line to brake booster for the trans. Edelbrock recommends taking vacuum directly from the manifold for the brakes. You could try the large port in the front center of the performer carb. I'm not sure if that is direct manifold vacuum or not (I use Holley exclusively) but until you get the engine running and test or get cam specs you won't know if you have enough vacuum. Just be careful... with the engine idling you could build enough vacuum in the booster so that it seems ok but under stop and go conditions it may not build enough vacuum quick enough and there goes your power assist... not easy to stop without it.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:55 AM
68stangbbf

That can help. If you're looking to save a few bucks you could use the "coffee can" style used on production vehicles. I may have one you can have I'll check this evening.