Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Prodject---My dads Pony

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 01:36 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by crashfab
Thank you..

A quick question on the seats. The replacement covers and base for the drivers seat are identical except for the type of materila thats used so I suspect thats the only difference? Without having a full on stock 66' to compare with I can only assume thats the case.
If you look at this picture of a 67 seat you will see that the one you had before looks like a 67 seat. I don't know if the seat frames etc are the same or not, but I think they are.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:02 AM
crashfab
2nd Gear Member

Thanks tx65coupe. It looks like the only difference is the fact the center ribs are smooth on the 67' Interesting...
Old 09-24-2010, 05:40 PM
crashfab
2nd Gear Member

So I have been putting in late nights to try and make one last hard push on this thing.

One thing I told my dad I wanted to do was the engine bay(looks just AWFULL) and redo the wiring in crashfab form.

Here is the whole wiring mess--dang old cars were so simple.

Here is the engine bay with all removed items than I plan on removing(shock towers, cross supports, brake master,battery tray and brake lines). The shock towers were a pain due to the bolts spinning and I had to cut the brake lines to get them off the ends(rust).

Old 09-25-2010, 01:39 AM
66JameStang
4th Gear Member

Man you are an inspiration, if half showed the love that you did this world would be a different place! I am impressed with your strides and urge you to continue the great work! I can't wait to see the final product and hear about your dad and moms trip in it!

God bless
Old 09-25-2010, 02:26 AM
crashfab
2nd Gear Member

So I am just busting along. One thing I do know is the fact I won't be happy with how the engine bay will turn out. Many know of how I am a perfectionist but this time I have to limit myself. The one and only way for me to get what I would like to do would mean more than we have time for. So I am just shooting for it to look allot better.

So I have been working away and removing rust and some paint/goop. But its coming along.

Here is the lip that I spent some time on. I totaly removed all the VERY hard body seam sealer because I was very certain there was some rust there. And yup there was. So what I did just cut the lip down to where all 3 sections (Cowl cover,lower cowl and firewall) were even and I could get into the seam and kill what rust I could.

At that point once I kill what rust I can I will rebuild a water troft so the water runs down the cowl and not over and into the seam. I figure thats going to be my best option.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:34 AM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for taking the time to post pics for us. The rate you're going it'll be done in no time. What color will it be painted?
Old 09-25-2010, 02:35 AM
crashfab
2nd Gear Member

So this was where things for me went south and the first time I got rather upset over the prodject. As I was working at the cowl area I took my blow gun and started blowing the crap that was down in the cowl and thats when I saw a bunch of rusted metal chucks. So I got under the dash and pulled the heater box out.

And thats where I got upset. Those who are familure with this body style know what I mean.

The rise(I have heard it refered to as a hat) that keeps the water from running into the heater case was gone. I took a close look at the cowl body itself under the dash and that seems pretty solid and no small rust holes. At this point I looked over at the passenger fresh air vent and noticed there was sealer up around it and the hat looked like it was new(or done before my dad got the car). Thats when I got the idea to made a new one and just glue it in like the drivers side.

So I called my dad and told him what I had found(upset of course over it) and just talking to him helped me calm down. We both came to the conclusion that we are sticking to the plan of trying to get it done and not doing a full restore. At this time I told him of my plan to make a new one and he was pretty thilled at this. So I got off the phone and started reading on the net. Thats when I found they have replacement hats(ventr repair kits) and just had to tell him about it--he again was thrilled.

So I am back in the game and moving forward.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:44 AM
crashfab
2nd Gear Member

So when I got the heater box out I noticed alot of just rust(not deep) all over and looked like most of it came from the seam that I had worked on in the engine bay. So I got on my back with wire wheel in hand and made allot of brown clouds. So now its ready to also be sealed when I do the floor.

One of the pressed in hinge mounts had pulled thru for the hood. So I had to rework the metal to where the insert was back into place. A couple others had also spun so I decided to go ahead and tack all of them in.

Here is the worse part of the engine bay---the battery tray and the fenderwell around where it sits.

So tonight I got all the rusted areas wire wheeled and then rust killer on those areas. At that point I went and scrubbed down the whole engine bay and washed it down--last big step before ready to paint.

And here is the bad spot. I took and removed all of the ruff edges and then hit it hard with rust killer. The new battery tray will help give it the support it needs.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:47 AM
crashfab
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 66JameStang
Man you are an inspiration, if half showed the love that you did this world would be a different place! I am impressed with your strides and urge you to continue the great work! I can't wait to see the final product and hear about your dad and moms trip in it!

God bless
Thank you..

The only thing I really wish was me and my dad didn't do this long ago like we wanted and the both of us could have done a top notch job with no corners cut.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:48 AM
crashfab
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by White05GT
Thanks for taking the time to post pics for us. The rate you're going it'll be done in no time. What color will it be painted?
Thank you. Hopefully I can inspire somebody else along the way.

We don't know yet on the color. He wants a red of some kind and my brother in law Don has a book of colors and they are going to get that figured out within the next week.

Quick Reply: Prodject---My dads Pony