Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Prodject---My dads Pony

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 12:11 PM
crashfab
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all of the support to this point and onward as me and my family do appreciate it.

First an update on my dad. He came down with phenomia and they caught it soon enough and able to treat it. But the down side is he has just had little to no energy.

He missed the last 2 car shows of the year due to being rained out but he was ok with it. Him and my mom fly back to kentucky on sunday for a couple weeks and he is getting a tour of the corvett assembly plant--he is super excited for that.

As for the car he had ordered some odds/ends for it and drove the car to my shop on monday to give it a little love.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:15 PM
crashfab
2nd Gear Member

So the first couple items were easy. A new starter to fix the bendix from not fully engaging at times(tore the starter apart and tried to fix it). The second was a new boot from the filler neck to the tank. After filling up my dad said he could smell fuel and the boot was in bad shape. Plus it let me replace the screws holding the neck to the body with nice stainless ones. But those were the easy ones,lol..
Old 10-05-2011, 12:28 PM
crashfab
2nd Gear Member

So the third one was a little harder. The pedal assembly(brake/clutch) were badly worn out with tons of slop side to side. I assume its a common problem as drake sells a nice kit to fix it.

So the hard part was getting the pedals out due to the ebrake and driver fresh air vent. I had never removed the E-brake assembly so I was a little nervous about that but with a little work/effort I was able to remove it. My dad sat back in his chair and just kinda chuckled as I worked it out.

But damn was it all worn out.

The inserts that ride in the bracket and the pivat pin rides in were just trashed. I can see why they were made from aluminum so they would wear out instead on the main bracket.

I was kinda scratching my head since the replacement pin was by itself and the pin on the pedal was attached. It wasn't till I got the pedal out and noticed its just staked into place. So a little grinding/ pounding I got it removed. Compared to the new one its totaly shot.

So I cleaned the pedal, lined the pin and welded it to the pedal and turned out perfect.

Up to this point it was easy,lol. The Drake kit was designed to weld big washers to the pedal mount but that was not going to happen or at least right now. But with some patience and carefull work I got it all put in and damn its nice and tight now. I talked to my dad after he drove it home and his words were "perfect"....
Old 10-06-2011, 12:14 PM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the update, always enjoy seeing the improvements you do.

Tell dad hello and that we all are pulling for him. He's very lucky to have a son like you.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:20 PM
crashfab
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by White05GT
Thanks for the update, always enjoy seeing the improvements you do.

Tell dad hello and that we all are pulling for him. He's very lucky to have a son like you.
Thank you......
Old 11-08-2011, 12:34 PM
crashfab
2nd Gear Member

I figured I would update folks.

On the car. Its just sitting in its nice and comphy cave since the weather has gone downhill. My dad found a factory carb and I still gotta rebuild it and once I do and get other rigs out of my shop it is going to come back for a short spell to get a few things done.

My mom/dad had a BLAST in Tennessee. I did not realize but my parents flew back there because my dad had a brother there that he had never met before. Once they got back my mom could not talk fast enough about how much fun they had and how much my dad/his brother were alike. But they are are talking about a European trip this spring on a cruise liner with him and his wife..

My dad went in for another CT scan and they found 2 more spots on his liver and one pin sized spot on one of his lungs. He started chemo again last friday and I am not sure of how strong it is but he's still staying as active as he can.

He is still staying positive and I am trying too..

Thanks everybody...
Old 11-09-2011, 08:46 AM
65springtime
1st Gear Member

Glad to hear your Dad is staying positive. That chemo can get you down. A cruise trip to Europe sounds great and I am sure he will have a blast. As said "He is lucky to have a son like you". Good luck with the Mustang. You are doing a great job.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:40 PM
lucasp
2nd Gear Member

Glad your Dad is doing great and staying positive. keep up the awesome job on the mustang and your Dad.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:52 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I used that kit on mine. It worked out great. The pedal moves more freely now. Mine wasn't as damaged as yours from wear and tear, but it was not in good shape either.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Zombiebrew
1st Gear Member

Amazing job! So you guys are out in Monroe? I will make it a point of going to a show out there to see this car in person! It looks amazing and i'm really impressed.

Quick Reply: Prodject---My dads Pony