Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Those with Ford Racing 306, I need input!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Oak
2nd Gear Member

Default Those with Ford Racing 306, I need input!

Ok I am working my way into puting the 306 into the 65 Mustang, I am trying to use as much stuff as I can that I already had on the car.
I had to order the plugs where the smog pump lines would go in the late model cars,
I am now working on putting the alternator, pulleys etc and I want to keep the old style brackets and belts on the front of the motor. So far the pulley are a go, the alternator brackets are on but I am running into a problem with the alternator bolt that goes into the head, there doesnt seem to be a possible mount. It lines up with the huge air pump plugs,
HAs anyone had to face this and or fab anything up, or maybe Ford Racing has a fix, any input is appreciated.

Other than that I have the motor installed, backed up by the 5 speed now. Next week I will work towards getting the old 8 inch out and slapping in the 9 inch (3.70 gears yeah!).

THanks for any input!
Oak
Old 12-10-2010, 11:46 PM
stephen.osborne1
2nd Gear Member

Do you have any pictures? I think I know what you are speaking about, but am not sure... Trying to visualize... Sounds like you just have the wrong bracket.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:24 AM
Oak
2nd Gear Member

No pics sorry, the bolt that actually goes thru the alternator (top left if facing motor) lines up with the huge smog pump holes that are now plugged (since I dont need smog).
I may have to fab something up since my old alternator boltedto the old style heads now I have the x306 Gt 40 heads???
Old 12-11-2010, 04:37 PM
stephen.osborne1
2nd Gear Member

Are you sure those were the smog holes? I don't see why smog holes would be coming out the front of the heads, but then again, I don't have much experience with smog stuff. Again, I'd try to find some pics of different alternator brackets and see if they differ from yours.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:16 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I say build a plate (1/4" or maybe even 3/16" thick strap cut to length) that will attach to the hole above and the hole below the "freeze plug", bridging the plug. then drill a hole in the right place in the new plate and weld a nut on the back side, it should fit in the recess of the freeze plug.

Bingo, done!!
Attached Thumbnails Those with Ford Racing 306, I need input!-ford-racing-x302-crate-engine.jpg  

Last edited by JMD; 12-11-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:37 AM
Oak
2nd Gear Member

JMD,
Funny you say that we have already fabbed up a plate but simply drilled and tapped the plate, it will take about 4 threads, hope that does it, I will try to get over to car and take some pics to better explain Monday, Thanks Oak
Old 12-12-2010, 09:16 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Oak
JMD,
Funny you say that we have already fabbed up a plate but simply drilled and tapped the plate, it will take about 4 threads, hope that does it, I will try to get over to car and take some pics to better explain Monday, Thanks Oak
4 threads will probably get it done, and even if it doesn't make it, it will be super easy to fix later.

I hope you enjoy that new engine!!
Old 12-12-2010, 01:42 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

i really don't know where the problem is without picture. the alternator bolts to the head with a huge bolt. and the thread for it is at front of head.
the lower bolt hole goes to a bracket that is boltet to the waterpump.
Attached Thumbnails Those with Ford Racing 306, I need input!-ford-racing-x302-crate-engine.jpg  
Old 12-13-2010, 12:38 PM
Oak
2nd Gear Member

Default You are correct sir

Well the huge bolt hole is actually where the smog pump air injection would go. That is the hole that aligns with my alternator (old style) but if I drilled out the arm that is attatched tot he alternator to accept that big of a bolt there would be nothing left.

You are correct about the huge hole, is that what set up you have? Oak
Old 12-13-2010, 02:07 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

To be honest I never had any smog device on my car. So I don't really know what setup you have. Pictures would help. I have alternator attached there. If you don't have power steering or air con you could use the other head?

Quick Reply: Those with Ford Racing 306, I need input!