Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Lost All Of My Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Default Lost All Of My Pictures

Man I am so disappointed. Those that read my posts may remember I'm the guy who did the Welding Practice, Mud Dog Engine, and the Rusted Roof posts for my junky 1968 Coupe, usually posting a ton of shots of the work.

Well I tried to hook up an old hard drive that crashed on me a while ago back to my computer to copy some old family photos off of it, and that piece of $%!& confused my computer to the point that it would not see any of the pictures on my second drive.

What makes it worse is that I'm a computer guy by trade, and I had this set up pretty bullet proof.

C: drive was my system hard drive with all of my programs

D: drive was a separate physical hard drive with all of my data, documents, pictures, taxes, etc

then I hooked up this third drive with one of them universal external adapter cables (like I've done a dozen times before on other systems) NOT thinking it would destroy the D: above

Now I just want to put my head down and wrench and NOT take another picture ever again, PLEASE say something to make me feel better, what a start to a new year!

Gregski
Old 01-09-2011, 10:53 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Destroy the drive? Usually everything can be recovered. I use those external adapters all the time to recover drives especially when a virus hits. Usually with a hard drive dock you can recover.

All I can say I hope you recover and BlueRay is your friend. I back up everything even though I run RAID 6 on my storage server.

If you give me a few more details I can run this past my IT guys.

I use on of these all the time

Last edited by mr_velocity; 01-09-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Gun Jam

You ran your crappy internal drive on USB adapter and now your computer wont recognize your D drive? Is that what you are saying?

1) is the crappy drive a SATA or IDE cable type?

2) is the D drive a SATA OR IDE cable type?

3) do you have a SATA to IDE bridge so you can take you sata (if thats the case D drive and run it on an IDE cable into an slave IDE port on the MB?

what makes you sure the D drive was damaged? Does bios recognize the drive size and name?

-Gun
Old 01-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

well after a quick prayer to baby Jesus, Talladega Nights style I found a folder called found.000 on my hard drive which appears to have all of my pictures in it (granted they are in crazy sub folders called dir0001.chk but at least they are there),

time to burn this **** to a CD, I know there are DVDs and BlueRays but I can't afford those right now

1,000 thanks for reading and your words of encouragement and ideas
Old 01-09-2011, 12:26 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gregski
well after a quick prayer to baby Jesus, Talladega Nights style I found a folder called found.000 on my hard drive which appears to have all of my pictures in it (granted they are in crazy sub folders called dir0001.chk but at least they are there),

time to burn this **** to a CD, I know there are DVDs and BlueRays but I can't afford those right now

1,000 thanks for reading and your words of encouragement and ideas
Glad to hear you found your pictures, that's awesome!!!
Old 01-09-2011, 01:17 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I have always been pretty good at working with pc's, my take on them is simple, when they work right they are great, when they don't they are a huge pain in the ***. What works today won't work tomorrow, and there is no such thing as a "simple" upgrade or a "simple" installation.....

Installing a drive always has some risk involved.

That is a big reason why I use photobucket as a last ditch save for my pics.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:26 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMD
I have always been pretty good at working with pc's, my take on them is simple, when they work right they are great, when they don't they are a huge pain in the ***. What works today won't work tomorrow, and there is no such thing as a "simple" upgrade or a "simple" installation.....

Installing a drive always has some risk involved.

That is a big reason why I use photobucket as a last ditch save for my pics.
Linux on a machine you use as a file server reduces most of the risk. But you need to setup a RAID array if you're serious about not losing data. Drives are cheap enough today and linux is free so its not costly.

Last edited by mr_velocity; 01-09-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mr_velocity

Linux on a machine you use as a file server reduces most of the risk.
the OS doesn't matter when it's a hardware failure like in my case, the problem originally was a drive that went kaput
Old 01-09-2011, 05:26 PM
ThanksDad
3rd Gear Member

I had a similar problem with my daughters High School Grad Pics. Thought they were lost and months later found them.

I know auto back up everything to a SeaGate 2 Terabit external drive. My IT guy says I should be safe.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:45 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gregski
the OS doesn't matter when it's a hardware failure like in my case, the problem originally was a drive that went kaput
Take an old machine that will perform fine running linux, create a RAID 6 file server and you can lose 2 drives to hardware failures and not lose your data. It's a great way to "recycle" old machines.

Quick Reply: Lost All Of My Pictures