Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

I was bored

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 10:47 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Default I was bored

Wasn't in the mood to work on the car but I was bored. I had a C4 sitting next to the house that came on a 351 I got of a buddy at the junk yard. Since I couldn't find a home for it I decided to tear it apart. It's the first time I've been in a trans. Having come from a '77 I thought it would have been trashed but at some point in the not so distant past it must have been rebuilt. RTV on the tail and all the clutches were perfect.

Today, I'm still not in the mood to work on the car so I'm going to cut the torque converter open.

Think there is anything I should bother saving....I should say anything worth saving because it might have value to someone. To me it's just scrap taking up space.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:20 PM
GT350R Klone
2nd Gear Member

LOL, I was bored this morning too and decided to clean my alternator. It is next to the bracket that use to hold it...looks a little nicer now.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:11 PM
PaulS
1st Gear Member

That C4 case is the large bell case - "pan fill" and is one of the "desireable" cases. The clutch drums are good and the valve body is good - as long as it isn't rusted. All of the hard parts can be re-used, if I was closer I would quickly pay the scrap price for it.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:37 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PaulS
That C4 case is the large bell case - "pan fill" and is one of the "desireable" cases. The clutch drums are good and the valve body is good - as long as it isn't rusted. All of the hard parts can be re-used, if I was closer I would quickly pay the scrap price for it.
If you were closer you could have taken it for free.....before I pulled it all apart. Should I hang onto the valve body?
Old 01-10-2011, 10:20 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I like to take apart and re-assemble C-4s while hanging upside down blindfolded, ala Major Payne, heh, heh, heh,,,

Just a hobby though..
Old 01-10-2011, 10:24 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMD
I like to take apart and re-assemble C-4s while hanging upside down blindfolded, ala Major Payne, heh, heh, heh,,,

Just a hobby though..
I had never opened one before and I'm going to need to rebuild my 4R70W before putting it into the car.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:07 PM
PaulS
1st Gear Member

Mr Velocity,
If you are ever going to use a C4 again then keep the drums, valve body and case at least. Your C4 can be used in any Ford from 1964 to 1982 with the appropriate bell and linkage.
If you have never opened up a C4 before I would recommend that you have the 4R70W built for you. They are much more complex and require a ton of special tools.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:02 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Throw it in a box and ship the trans to me... I need a C4.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:43 AM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by THUMPIN455
Throw it in a box and ship the trans to me... I need a C4.
When are you going to update your photo bucket with some new pictures? I'm intrested to see where this car is now. I've been trolling your photobucket for like a year now seeing if you made any new progress.

James
Old 01-11-2011, 08:02 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PaulS
Mr Velocity,
If you are ever going to use a C4 again then keep the drums, valve body and case at least. Your C4 can be used in any Ford from 1964 to 1982 with the appropriate bell and linkage.
If you have never opened up a C4 before I would recommend that you have the 4R70W built for you. They are much more complex and require a ton of special tools.
I have another C4 sitting in the shed that I'll keep. I'm keeping the bell housing so I can run either the 157 or 164 flywheel. I'm just out of room to store stuff.

My car will get the 4R70W which I may try and rebuild myself. If it blows up I'll just build another one. Problem is I don't have any ford mechanic friends, they're all GM. If I can find someone that can do it at home or their own shop and I can spend the day with them its the way I'll go.

Quick Reply: I was bored