Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

What is the best way to add a shelby Hood Scoop

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 05:36 PM
phish
2nd Gear Member

Default What is the best way to add a shelby Hood Scoop

My car is now at the paint shop. I am planning a shelby hood scoop. I would like to have it molded into my metal hood. can someone please tell me what is the best way to mold a fiberglass scoop into a meta hood... Do i get the bolt on hood or is there a different type??? thank you in advance
Old 01-26-2011, 01:01 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

If you got the money i would buy the fiberglass hood with it on it.If you go the stick on type of scoop it depends how its made.You can screw it you can pop rivet it or there is always panel adhesive its glue most body shops use now its as strong as a weld.Once its on its not hard to mold in to the hood.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:40 AM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

You could check and see how they did it on the 66 GT350's. I think they used a metal hood when the guys making the fiberglass hood could not keep up. Of course they put the metal hood in a press and die-cut the opening, but they still bonded the scoop on somehow.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:33 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Probably the same way they bond the side scoops and other fiberglass pieces onto the GT500's and 350's. NoReins just installed a fiberglass piece on the deckild. That process is probably the same as any other fiberglass piece adhered to metal. Looks like they did a pretty good job.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:56 PM
phish
2nd Gear Member

does someone make a metal shelby hood scoop?? I am guessing that is the better way to go. Do not feel like buying a whole hood with scoop built in. So it is possible to buy a fiberglass hood scoop and have someone bondo it in?? I am not sure how u are supposed to do it. But I know I do not want to see the seem and I want it to last....any ideas?? thx in advance..........by the way zmetalmilitia, I am getting my car painted like yours. Black with satin stripes. Are your stripes painted or are they decals?? My car is a 65 coupe though. Was thinking of getting mine done with a decal

Last edited by phish; 01-26-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:43 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by phish
by the way zmetalmilitia, I am getting my car painted like yours. Black with satin stripes. Are your stripes painted or are they decals?? My car is a 65 coupe though. Was thinking of getting mine done with a decal

My stripes are painted. I think the guy used a flat black paint. He was telling me that he was still able to clear the flat black to make it remain flat black and not look glossy, at least that's what I remember him saying, unless I was on something that day!

Here it is after freshly painted.

I guess decals would work too. Just not sure how well they would hold up. Washing and especially waxing the car, it seems like they would just get in the way. Maybe consider painting them on??? I really don't know the differences between painting vs. decals as far as quality goes. Just seems like painting is a step up over decals.

As far as bonding the hood scoop onto your metal hood, look at NoReins thread. She shows their steps on bonding fiberglass pieces to metal. They claim it will hold up and it does look good.
Link to her thread....
https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...stback-29.html

Last edited by zmetalmilitia; 01-27-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:59 PM
polo708
2nd Gear Member

^^ Man that color combo is sexy, nice choice zmetalmilitia!
Old 02-01-2011, 03:32 PM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by polo708
^^ Man that color combo is sexy, nice choice zmetalmilitia!
Thanks!
Old 02-01-2011, 04:19 PM
jgstang65
2nd Gear Member

i was thinking on adding a mach1 scoop on my 65 vert ? or the 65 shelby bolt on ? the mach1 looks kinda cool.....add a front spoiler and stripes ?
Old 02-03-2011, 12:01 PM
jgstang65
2nd Gear Member

well i am buying a 65 shelby bolt on scoop from a guy that never used it....i will set it on the hood and then set the 69 scoop on the hood to see what looks good for me, i think if i choose the 65 scoop i will bolt it on and then mold it on cleanly....i have never seen a nice clean flat/straight FG shelby hood w/scoop that isn't wavey or ripply unless the new ones have really changed...i've seen so many at the shows that are not clean/straight like the metal hoods...or mybe i'm just too picky.

Quick Reply: What is the best way to add a shelby Hood Scoop