Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

1966 Mustang converted from 6-cylinder to 8-cylinder??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 10:16 PM
MphsWildCat

Question 1966 Mustang converted from 6-cylinder to 8-cylinder??

Alright, so...I have stumbled across a 1966 Mustang Coupe that has had the stock 6 swapped out with a (as it was put to me) 70's 302 and tranny. The value given to me by the owner was $5000, which seems a bit high for a car that old that does not have matching numbers. If it turns out to be steal, I don't want to miss out.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:00 PM
lucasp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MphsWildCat
Alright, so...I have stumbled across a 1966 Mustang Coupe that has had the stock 6 swapped out with a (as it was put to me) 70's 302 and tranny. The value given to me by the owner was $5000, which seems a bit high for a car that old that does not have matching numbers. If it turns out to be steal, I don't want to miss out.
if the body is in good condition little to no rust, interior is in good condition. I would jump all over it. then again that's just my opinion.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:17 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

If its rust free and 5 lug front and back i would buy it.If its 4 lug front or back i would talk him down to 3k or less.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:29 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

hold your horses for the moment. I did exactly that (buy one of those).
it was a 1964 U-code (170ci), the engine was swapped. not sure about the gearbox.

The first thing I had to do was to change springs and coils as the heavier V8 would cause those the car to bottom out at every pithole.

Well I went through two of those 6-cylinder rear axles (destroyed bearings and parts). After the first was gone JMD sent me his old one (still thanks for that!!!) for direct replacement. I spent money on new bearings, had a shop put it in and abour 3 months later and a few torquey starts that went dead as well). The 6cylinder rear axle will not hold up the power of a 289/302. the gearbox was starting to get loud as well.

So I said no more and bought a brand new rear axle (9"), an 8" would have done as well, got myself a new gearbox.

But! the stopping power was so crap with the tiny drums, and the fact that the wheels where 4lug (no real conversion options then and the rear axle I bought was 5 lug as well) I upgraded the front to V8 spindles (everuythign else is dangerous) and so I dished out money for
- rear axle
- 3rdmember
- driveshaft (as there are no conversion U-jopints and if there were you wouldn't want them)
- new spindles and brakes in the front.
- a full set of wheels and tyres

Just to have the car half decent and safe.

Well 4 years down the road I figure the steering components weren't changed either. The V8 is occasionally hitting the centerlink ... So that's the next I'm going to change

What I want to say is:
if the previous owner changed:
- gearbox
- rear axle
- front spindles
- steering components
- front suspension

then it might be ok, everything else you will be spending the next while hunting parts from a V8 to get the car safe and driveable ...

I'd never do it again unless someone asks me to and I'd change the whole lot and have hinm pay dear money for it. It is a _lot_ cheaper in the end to just buy and original V8

I know I don't have it easy with being in Europe, but I spent a lot more money on the car since I bought it than what I paid for it including shipping and import.

others might argue, this is just my experience

Kalli
Old 03-22-2011, 08:08 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Like i said its a 5 lug front and back its fine if its a 4 lug your looking a good 3k more to change everything else over.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:44 PM
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

A matching numbers 6 cylinder car is not worth a lot anyway so the conversion will not hurt the value if its been done properly...If its in good condition and the conversion is good I think its a good deal..
Old 03-22-2011, 05:41 PM
MphsWildCat

Smile Thanks for the 411!

Thanks guys for all your responses! I feel I am now educated enough to make the right decision.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:25 PM
chockostang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MphsWildCat
To help out here a bit.

Forget the matching number thing. This pertains to the very High Dollar cars, which are to Judged/Shown, etc.

The early 6 Cylinder cars, can be made on of these as well. Believe me, a Nice, Totally stock 6 Cylinder car is a beautiful, desiring as any 428 car in the eyes of Us old time owners, if done to show room standards.

So, your need then becomes the equasion, drive, you need to achieve a answer to your question. Stock-Non Stock? Money, Time you can invest?

Dan @ Chockostang
Old 03-26-2011, 04:27 PM
lucasp
2nd Gear Member

the question is, is it cheaper to buy a V8 car rather than trying to swap out the I6 to convert it into V8?
Old 03-26-2011, 05:21 PM
chockostang
2nd Gear Member

Kinda to throw a new wrinkle in this.

If I could buy a Nice 65 66 6 Cylinder (Especially a 3 Speed with cracker box), in great shape, then restore it to show room condition, I'll guarantee it would turn every head in a show. This is what we saw in 64. remeber.

Now, after restoring for years, do not have the energy, time to indulge, It is not practical.

I have seen a few of these 6 cylinder, bare bones 6 cylinder cars restored, and they are REALLY COOL!!!

Dan @ Chockostang

Quick Reply: 1966 Mustang converted from 6-cylinder to 8-cylinder??