Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

65 speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 07:15 PM
lucasp
2nd Gear Member

Default 65 speedometer

the speedometer on my 65 bounces around too much specially on idle, it calms down about 70mph or up cruising. how do I stop this?

thanks,
Old 06-04-2011, 07:47 PM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

I'd guess one of the gears (driven or driver gear) that turn the cable has lost a tooth. You can pull out the cable from the trans and examine both gears easily and determine if they are in need of replacement.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:53 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I think that you should grease the spedo cable really good before trying anything more drastic.

A dry cable will catch in the sheath, wind up a little and then pop loose and unwind. This cycle can happen repeatedly and relatively quickly causing the speedometer to jump around.

When moving at faster speeds, the cable is less likely to catch, therefore the problem is not noticeable at higher speeds.

Is this your problem? Maybe, but I think the chances are good that this is your issue.

If so, eventually this will cause your cable to break from fatigue.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:00 PM
lucasp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMD
I think that you should grease the spedo cable really good before trying anything more drastic.

A dry cable will catch in the sheath, wind up a little and then pop loose and unwind. This cycle can happen repeatedly and relatively quickly causing the speedometer to jump around.

When moving at faster speeds, the cable is less likely to catch, therefore the problem is not noticeable at higher speeds.

Is this your problem? Maybe, but I think the chances are good that this is your issue.

If so, eventually this will cause your cable to break from fatigue.
This is a good place to start. What kind of grease should i use? And how do i execute this job?
Old 06-06-2011, 09:56 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lucasp
This is a good place to start. What kind of grease should i use? And how do i execute this job?

I have used white lithium grease in the past, but I am sure there are products more suitable for the job.

The cable will only come out of the sheath one way, cant remember which for sure on a Ford, but I think you will need to disconnect the sheath from the spedo, and just pull the cable out of the sheath, clean and lubricate it.

You might want to disconnect both ends of the sheath and spray some carb cleaner down the sheath to clean out the old solidified oil while you still have the cable out.

Be generous with the lubricant
Old 06-06-2011, 09:48 PM
lucasp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMD
I have used white lithium grease in the past, but I am sure there are products more suitable for the job.

The cable will only come out of the sheath one way, cant remember which for sure on a Ford, but I think you will need to disconnect the sheath from the spedo, and just pull the cable out of the sheath, clean and lubricate it.

You might want to disconnect both ends of the sheath and spray some carb cleaner down the sheath to clean out the old solidified oil while you still have the cable out.

Be generous with the lubricant
Thanks, I will give it a shot this weekend
Old 06-06-2011, 10:17 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I used speedometer cable lube from Orielly Auto. I tried white lithium grease and it gummed up the speedometers head.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:07 PM
lucasp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx65coupe
I used speedometer cable lube from Orielly Auto. I tried white lithium grease and it gummed up the speedometers head.
Thanks, I will get me a tube of that.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:45 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

The lithium grease did work for a little while and the operation was smooth, until it go all over the back of the speedo mechanism.

The lubricant looks like this. It can be messy, so have some rags or paper towels handy.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:01 PM
lucasp
2nd Gear Member

The grease work pass 30mph, but before that it hops around like crazy. Whats the deal?

Quick Reply: 65 speedometer