Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

I6 to V8 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 01:22 PM
lucasp
2nd Gear Member

Default I6 to V8 conversion

Has anyone done this project with great success and was the outcome worth all the work and money put into it? My son and I will be tackling this project after August, I am just collecting parts right now. He really wants to do this father and son project(he is 16) and me on the other hand would rather sell it and buy a V8 car. please please I need your guys' input. By the way we already have the 302 and a C4 engine sitting in the garage.

Thank you,

one of the video my son made of our mustang.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9jW0bPCq-A

Last edited by lucasp; 03-03-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:50 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

it can be done but you bacially have to swap then entire suspension and brake system front and rear and do the drivetrain conversion...sometimes you can be better off money wise selling the car and buying a factory v8 car..or you could always hop up the 6 esp with the price of fuel these days and make a very nice driver that sips on the fuel
Old 03-03-2012, 06:41 PM
GT350R Klone
2nd Gear Member

Lucas, this is a leaner. The car looks like it is in real good shape and your son has began customizing to his taste. The path to a safe v8 conversion isn't easy or cheap. Here is a list of things I could think of.

radiator and hoses
Motor mounts
Radiator housing
Rear End
Driveshaft
Wheels/tires
Shocks
Throttle linkage*
Headers/exhaust
spindles
Brakes
Brake lines?
Master cylinder
Springs
Rear leaf springs ?
Trany speedo gear
Gas pedal

Might be best to find a V8 car being parted out and swing a bundle deal. Theres a guy with an extra parts car in Reno, on craigslist, not sure if it's a v8. I agree with you, I'd start from scratch, but if my son was in love with the car, I'd convert. Why not go look at 4-5 of them. I think it would become clearer what he better path would be.

Last edited by GT350R Klone; 03-03-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:34 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

There IS a lot of stuff to change out to do a swap right....

But, a goodly portion of folks with V-8 cars end up swapping the majority of this stuff out anyway.... (i.e. disk brakes, upgraded rear end, new steering and suspension stuff...

My son was able to buy everything "new" for his 66 I6 to V8 swap except for the spindles, which I understand are available new now.

Worth what he has in it? I doubt it. but that ain't what the car was about. He ended up with essentially a new car for less than 20K, which is about the value of a 30K new car after it leaves the lot......

Last edited by JMD; 03-03-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:27 PM
lucasp
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the input. It is a hard decision, I have talked to him and told him that we will look around after Hot August Nights and see if there is a V8 out there for less than 10g(possibly using the current car for trade), because that is how much I will be budgeting the conversion with a new paint job. Him and I will be doing all the suspension/steering stuff and a friend of ours is doing the power house for a $. If this is going to happen. He's reasoning for the build is that he wants to have something someday that he can say that "we" built together. aaaarggghhh!!!

Thanks again,

*note*
that is me in the video and my son behind his camera.

Last edited by lucasp; 03-03-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:03 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

It is a big job but can be done if you can find a v8 parts car thats rusted bad for 500 bucks grab it and use it.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:47 AM
GT350R Klone
2nd Gear Member

Lucas, I'm over the hill in Sacramento. You can buy a great v8 coupe for $10k. If you ever want me to check one out for you, let me know.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:55 AM
lucasp
2nd Gear Member

Klone I might take your offer after the HAN. Thanks for all the help and inputs. Keep them coming.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:41 PM
chockostang
2nd Gear Member

Can only state experience, my observations on subject.

My son Scott,, and I built his Mustang in 82-83.

Yes, a long year, but this time in my life i will never forget, would not trade the Father/Son bonding, (Oh yes not all positive), for anything.

To buy a Mustang VS build a Mustang with your son????

Dan @ Chockostang
Old 03-04-2012, 08:57 PM
lucasp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chockostang
Can only state experience, my observations on subject.

My son Scott,, and I built his Mustang in 82-83.

Yes, a long year, but this time in my life i will never forget, would not trade the Father/Son bonding, (Oh yes not all positive), for anything.

To buy a Mustang VS build a Mustang with your son????

Dan @ Chockostang
this is the hardest part about it for me...

Quick Reply: I6 to V8 conversion