Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

347 Short Block

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 12:10 AM
Brianr390

Default 347 Short Block

So originally i was going to build a 347 stroker out of my 289 but i have learned that to do this i would need to or rather the less want a rear main seal, roller cam and lifters, and so on. Lately i have been looking into finding and buying an already prebuilt 347 stroker roller short block. I was wondering if anyone knew where to buy a 347 short block that has forged internal and maybe with a balancer and flywheel already on it. I don't want to spend much more than 2000 but i might be able to go to 2500. Please post a link if you find something i am looking for.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:44 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

There are several companies out there that can do it like fordstrokers com and or tuff dawg. However you are way off on your budget. You will be closer to 4500 then your 2500. Quality parts alone are well over a grand and the machine work i would guess is easily close to a thousand as well. Then you have gaskets seals and labor to assemble plus profit.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:12 AM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Hi,
If your budget of 2-2.5K is just for the short block and rotating assy, no cam etc., you might get lucky. It's the rest of the stuff, that'll kill your budget. You can tie up, almost a grand in a quality valve train.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

If your in california, look at Smedding Performance or CHP, but theres A LOT of builders on the West coast.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Brianr390

I am only looking for the short block . I don't want a cam Heads etc. Just the block and the rotating assy
Old 03-04-2013, 08:45 AM
Brianr390

I am thinking about going with the do it yourself 347 short block from ford strokers what do you guys think. Is this kit a reputable kit. I would like to hear from people who have had experience with this kit before thanks.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:49 AM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brianr390
I am thinking about going with the do it yourself 347 short block from ford strokers what do you guys think. Is this kit a reputable kit. I would like to hear from people who have had experience with this kit before thanks.
Hi,
First, I'm surprised F/S is offering DIY rotating assemblies by themselves. A few years ago, I bought my 331 stroker from them. However, at some point thereafter, they stopped selling the rotating assy and started offering complete short blocks to include custom cams.
I have nothing but good things to say about my experience with "Woody" and company.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:25 PM
polo708
2nd Gear Member

I bought a 347 short block from fordstrokers.com also... Not one single complaint. Incredible work and attention to detail. I paid about $3500 for it though.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:41 PM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by polo708
I bought a 347 short block from fordstrokers.com also... Not one single complaint. Incredible work and attention to detail. I paid about $3500 for it though.
Hi,
What did you get, exactly, for the $3500? I know I was overcome by what I had invested in a 331 stroker. They do quality work, though! But, it does make huge HP and big torque.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:55 PM
polo708
2nd Gear Member

Oops my mistake... it was $2,500 for the short block. I purchased some AFR heads from them at the same time and my bill was about $3,800 for both. It was about 4 years ago. I just remembered the total, haha.

here are the details direct from the site:

Our 347 Liberator shortblock is aimed directly at the guys that want a 400-500hp street car that runs pump gas, can drive to the track, rip off a few 10 second passes and drive home. We have refined and developed this shortblock over the last few years in an effort to help support the middle class guy that just wants to have fun and purchase a rock solid reliable engine at a very affordable price. Please take a look at what we build our engines with and the numerous machine operations that go into our engines. Don't forget to click the Images tab below to see a dozen plus pictures of the actual engines in there various stages, were not afraid to show you exactly what you are getting upfront.

Let me take a few sentences here to go over a few things. Be very afraid of alot of the so called "race" engine shops that don't even have there own equipment, they farm out all the critical machine operations. Then if your lucky they "may" assemble it at there "shop" Fordstrokers is 100% inclusive, meaning ALL machine work is done IN-House on our machines. Quality control is critical and crucial when asking a customer to spend 1000's of dollars. Also ask yourself why these "race" engine shops don't have ANY pictures of there shop, there machinery or there finished products but want you to fork over 1000's of dollars. I think once you see what we offer with your own eyes the choice becomes real clear why there are so many Fordstrokers Liberator Engines running around......................

Here is a complete list of all machine oprations and all parts used inside of our 347 Liberator Short Block

Seasoned 302 Hydraulic Roller Core Block
Oven Baked
Shotblasted (Remove scale, rust)
Magnafluxed for cracks
Cylinders bored on Kwik-Way Boring Bar and Table
Finish honed on Peterson Powerstroke Hone with BHJ Aluminum Torque Plates, Fel Pro Head Gaskets and ARP Hardware (.0001-0002 Taper MAX)
Plateau Brushed (Provides Instant Ring Seal)
Main Bearing Bores Align Honed on a Sunnen CH-100 Hone
Deck surfaced on a Winona Van Norman CBN surfacer (Ra Finish compatible with MLS Gaskets)
Screw In Oil Galley Plugs
Lifter Valley Oil Drain Backs Chamferred
Oil Filter Inlet Chaferred
Threaded Holes Chased
Lifter Bores Honed
Crankshaft Balancing done on Hines Dominator XP Digital Balancer (.02 Grams)

Now let's take a look at what's inside of a Fordstrokers Liberator 347 Short Block

Scat 9000 Cast Steel 3.400 Crankshaft
Scat 4340 Forged I-Beam Connecting Rods with ARP 8740 Capscrews and Full Floating Pin End
Probe SRS 2618 Forged Aluminum Flat Top Pistons (10.5:1CR, Inline or TFS Valve Reliefs, Your Choice. Dish and Dome Pistons Available, SAME Price, you choose)
Clevite 77 Main Bearings
Clevite77 Rod Bearings
Clevite77 Camshaft Bearings
Perfect Circle Moly File Fit Rings (Gapped Specifically for your application)
Fel-Pro 1 Piece Rear Main Seal
ARP Main Studs with Oil Pump Pickup Provision
Deep Seated Freeze Plugs
Screw In Oil Galley Plugs
Camshaft Retainer Plate
Painted ANY Color of your choice, just let us know

Quick Reply: 347 Short Block