Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

California Black Plate Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 12:57 PM
Kdclem

Default California Black Plate Problem

I drove to Nevada and trailered a 1968 mustang to California. The California plates were in the car in a box. The Plates are matching front & back with the back having a pile of stickers on the upper left that are old and brittle and not recognizable except for a faint "JUL". The right side box is stamped "63", which all 60's era plates will be stamped 63.. Research identifies this plate with first three letters "XEG" to be legit for 1968. DMV will not let me put these plates on the car, citing there rules are - it has to have the original 68 PINK sticker showing (are you kidding me).

It's a car born in California, went to Nevada and Titled there and has original California plates, and now back in California. Evidently I can title the car in my name but cannot use original plates, definitely affecting the value and originality.

Anyone have any thoughts/Ideas?

Thank you.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:59 PM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

I went round and round with the DMV over my 64 Mercury. It still had it's original black plated but hadn't been registered for years and was not in the system. I came to the conclusion I had 2 solutions.
1. Provide proof this was the original plate like past registration. Not possible. No paper trail.
2. Request to use the plates as YOM (Year of Manufacture) plates. This required me buying a correct year sticker on eBay. Ironically, you need the year of manufacture of the car. I spent must time peeling off many layers of stickers to find my original one. 1965, which would be correct for a car sold in 1964. No good for the DMV.