Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

How rare??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 09:44 PM
RJM763

Default How rare??

I have a 1968 mustang convertable. body code 76B, I was wondering how rare this was and I'm I getting ready to mess up?

I have been given a 351W trade for the 289.

The color is light beigh (sorry if spelling is off) and I want to repaint it with white.

I also want rally strips but I know they were not offered in 68 as a paint scheme.

If this is a rare car I might not want to change that much on the car and put it back as close to original as possible. I have planned on going the restomod route and have enjoyed the process so far. I have been told that you don't really hurt the value that much going the restomod route but I don't know.

I would like to know our opinons on this.

Thank you
Old 03-21-2006, 09:50 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: How rare??

Give us the entire vehicle code that is on the driver's side door. With that information, we can better decode the car to see what you have.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:56 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

it is 1 of 3,339 with a deluxe interrior. 99% of all people do not realize it is that rare, and since it is only a C-Code, nobody really cares. As for the stripes, Le Mans (the correct term for the Shelby style stripes) do not look good on a vert with the top up, do a google seach on the factory C stripe.

As far as the value, the best way to get the most money for it is to keep it as stock as possible, since most people that want to modify a car want to do it their way, not yours. If you want to do any upgrades, I would look at doing factory upgrades. I have turned cars, and the ones with stock wheels and hub caps sold quicker than ones with custom wheels
Old 03-21-2006, 10:02 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Twister

it is 1 of 3,339 with a deluxe interrior. 99% of all people do not realize it is that rare, and since it is only a C-Code, nobody really cares. As for the stripes, Le Mans (the correct term for the Shelby style stripes) do not look good on a vert with the top up, do a google seach on the factory C stripe.

As far as the value, the best way to get the most money for it is to keep it as stock as possible, since most people that want to modify a car want to do it their way, not yours. If you want to do any upgrades, I would look at doing factory upgrades. I have turned cars, and the ones with stock wheels and hub caps sold quicker than ones with custom wheels
Just curious.....How did you get all that from 76B.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

ORIGINAL: Twister

Just curious.....How did you get all that from 76B.
76B is the body code for a convertible with a deluxe interrior, and since there was only one 289 engine available in 1968....BTW, it is not as rare as the 256 1968 fastbacks with a deluxe bench seat (63D), only 11 are known to survive
Old 03-21-2006, 10:14 PM
RJM763

Ok the Door codes:

Body 76B

Color 65

Trim 6A

Date 16E

D.S.O. 28 ( I think the plate said DSO but not sure)

2W ( this was stamped on the far right side of the plate)

Number on drivers side fender:

8F03C195322 (this is the same number as the warrenty number on the door)

As far as resale, I have no intention of ever selling, the car was bought new by my grandfather in 1968, and was given to me last year. Due to the family connection I can't see selling the car.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2006, 11:32 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

Body 76B-Vert with a deluxe interrior

Color 65-should be a letter, except for 6, which is pebble beige

Trim 6A-black

Date 16E- scheduled to be built May 16th

D.S.O. 28- sold through Louiville, KY

2-2.79:1 rear gear ratio

W- auto tranny

Number on drivers side fender:

8-1968
F-built at the Dearborn plant
03-convert
C-289 2V
1-check digit
95322 -production number
Old 05-25-2008, 10:52 PM
68fastbackdude

Make that 12 on the 63D, I have one as well. That's a scary thought.... My parents bought the car brand new in 69 (it was a left over on a lot in San Jose, CA)
Old 05-25-2008, 11:24 PM
SalikDDD
3rd Gear Member

as the guy in Altered Beast said... "rise from your grave" as i give this thread..
Old 05-26-2008, 01:49 AM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

my GOD! This is older than john mccain! (he'll get my vote, however.)

Quick Reply: How rare??