Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

GT40 Heads

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 12:25 AM
Hettar
1st Gear Member

Default GT40 Heads

Yo,
I have my 289 block, heads and crank shaft at the engine shop being worked over. I got an ominous message today that they found a problem with the heads and have quit work on them till they can talk to me... and they're supposed to call back tomorrow.

I assume this all means they're fixing to tell me the cost is fixing to go up.

I've been following the thread about using GT40 heads from a 96 Explorer. I stopped by Autozone and checked on the price and how long they could get them... $269.99 plus core... and they can have em here in about two weeks.

Now, if they tell me the cost of rebuilding the stock heads is now going to be close to that, I'm thinking of telling em no thanks and go with the GT40's.

However, was wondering if someone could help me with some questions to help me make up my mind which way's the best way to go if the money's close to the same.

1. Will the 96 Explorer 5.0 heads have the same accessory bolt holes in the front end of the heads that the old 289 heads have, so that all the brackets and such at the front of the engine can still bolt up as they did originally?

2. Will the GT40 heads give me more horses than the stock heads?

3. I think I understood that the GT40 heads will have the same slanted sparkplug holes that the 289 heads have... did I get that right?

4. Is there anything that won't bolt up the same with the GT40 heads as they did with the 289 heads?

...or if you can think of any other reasons why I would want to go one way or the other, I'd sure appreciate some opinions!!

[sm=thanx.gif]
Old 06-01-2006, 01:34 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Default RE: GT40 Heads

make sure they are coded f6(1996) other wise they are not gt 40s 0r f8(1998) and they will have gt cast in them near the lower head bolts or gtp for the p's i looked some up on there site and they came up as e7's!!!
Old 06-01-2006, 01:47 AM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hettar

Yo,
I have my 289 block, heads and crank shaft at the engine shop being worked over. I got an ominous message today that they found a problem with the heads and have quit work on them till they can talk to me... and they're supposed to call back tomorrow.

I assume this all means they're fixing to tell me the cost is fixing to go up.

I've been following the thread about using GT40 heads from a 96 Explorer. I stopped by Autozone and checked on the price and how long they could get them... $269.99 plus core... and they can have em here in about two weeks.

Now, if they tell me the cost of rebuilding the stock heads is now going to be close to that, I'm thinking of telling em no thanks and go with the GT40's.

However, was wondering if someone could help me with some questions to help me make up my mind which way's the best way to go if the money's close to the same.

1. Will the 96 Explorer 5.0 heads have the same accessory bolt holes in the front end of the heads that the old 289 heads have, so that all the brackets and such at the front of the engine can still bolt up as they did originally?

2. Will the GT40 heads give me more horses than the stock heads?

3. I think I understood that the GT40 heads will have the same slanted sparkplug holes that the 289 heads have... did I get that right?

4. Is there anything that won't bolt up the same with the GT40 heads as they did with the 289 heads?

...or if you can think of any other reasons why I would want to go one way or the other, I'd sure appreciate some opinions!!

[sm=thanx.gif]

$269 plus 289 heads for new heads???? that sounds like an awesome deal!

hmm......are they aluminum or what???

and do they actually improve your setup or are they like the equivlent....? cuz i have some 302 heads....and 269 bucks ......
Old 06-01-2006, 02:02 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

no they are cast iron the gt40p make a little more power than the gt40 the explorer from 96-97 use the gt40(basically 93-95 cobra heads) and the 98-01use the gt4ops wich have a revised spark plug angle the"P's" work fine with long tubes but have clerance issues with shorty and stock manifolds the reg gt40's dont have any problems with clearance
Old 06-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Hettar
1st Gear Member

Thanks rmodel!!
I assume you mean the F6 or F8 is stamped on the heads? That was gonna be my next question... how to recognize them once I see em.

I have long headers now... if that means all four pipes on each header are seperate all the way down to the neck at the end where they all come together.

So, that means that either the GT40 or GT40P will work, and the GT40P heads would be the better way to go?

...and yep, Shifty, $269... I was happy to hear it. I made sure the Autozone guy checked to make sure they were completely built (springs, rocker arms, etc.) and not just bare. According to him they are.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Decurion
2nd Gear Member

the new heads do come assembled. youll need new rocker arms since your old ones wont work on the new heads. perfect time to get a set of 1.7 roller rockers. the heads will say "GT" on them. Unless you have some special headers, be prepared to dent your headers if you decide to go with the "P" heads. Also go on ebay and get the vin number off of a 96 exploder v8 and make sure when the heads do finally arrive that they are correct. the first set I got from the local auto parts store were the "P" heads.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

That $269 sounds like per head. So, double that. But, even at that, it sounds like a good price. However, if you double that to equal about 1000 bucks total for 2 , you can get good breathing aluminum aftermarket heads.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

oh i thought it was for two of them....that ruined my party.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Hettar
1st Gear Member

Dang, I was thinking the same thing... but just went out to the Autozone website and looked em up from there and that IS just for one head. [sm=oopssign.gif]

Thanks Soaring for waking me up!!
Old 06-01-2006, 03:10 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

still that isnt bad. After buying springs, locks retainers, installing new guides, seats and valves, you can have almost $1000 in a set of heads. most small fords will go for around $600-$800 rebuilt.

I have found a large number of cracked heads on Fords, they arent too fond of heat. if I could get a set of heads that flow better than a ported set of stockers for the same price, but had better chambers for cleaner burn and more efficiency, I would be all over them. most engines I deal with aftermarket heads are quite a bit more expensive, but well worth it too.

if they are cracked, just order the GT/GTP heads. You will be ahead in money and power. Even going with an aluminum heads isnt out of the question. Save up if you have to or just get some AFR 165s, you will be happy you did.

Quick Reply: GT40 Heads