Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Rust Bullet -vs- POR 15. Experiences please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 04:22 PM
EricButler
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Rust Bullet -vs- POR 15. Experiences please.

ORIGINAL: Color by WEASEL

Well I'm moving forward with all this good information! Maybe against the flow a little, but I ordered some Rust Bullet. I intend to (after I finish my floor pans and a couple other small patches, new trunk drops just cause) use the RB on the entire interior less dash and doors. Also the entire trunk including the inside quarter panels and everything else I can spray or fling it onto, in those areas. I will wire brush it all and get rid of any oil and grease, which is very little, mainly from seam sealer. My exterior is going to be 100% bare metal either original or a repair panel. I have a drivers quarter skin, pass door bottom 8" panel, and pass rear quarter bottom patch. Thats it for the exterior repair. A few dings I'll dolly out. My exterior will be what I call standard prep. Bare metal, epoxy primer, primer sealer, base coat and clear. Time frame??? Working from the inside out. Engine compartment complete. Thanks to everyone for the reponses. Have not quite got the picture thing down to post some progress but thanks again for the support.

[IMG]local://upfiles/36686/FA9337C41790461AA03C54D9BB8B90C0.jpg[/IMG]

You won't be sorry the stuff is awesome. Just don't get it on your hands!!! Ask me how I know. LOL
Old 06-16-2006, 04:26 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grocery getter
from what i've found por-15 encapsulates rust. no oxygen and moisture, no "more" rust. if I remember correctly the metal ready converts the rust to an black oxide.
if the por15 chips it will no longer protect due to the moisture and oxygen that will be able to attack the metal.
also for the por15 to work you must have complete coverage. any gaps or thin spots and the rust will come back.
so if i was to put a nice thick coat on than prime and than paint, i should be in good shape?

and eric, "how do you know?"
Old 06-16-2006, 04:43 PM
EricButler
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Clu7ch

and eric, "how do you know?"

When I was using it to do my project I managed to get it on my hands. I didn't wipe it off immediately after and once it dries to your hands you wear it off. lacquer thinner won't even touch it when it dries. Took about two weeks for it to wear off!!
Old 06-16-2006, 04:47 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

well, that's not always a downfall . . . . . . .
Old 06-16-2006, 05:09 PM
EricButler
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Clu7ch

well, that's not always a downfall . . . . . . .
I know I was not putting it down at all. I have nothing but good to say about Rust Bullet. It was my fault for not getting off my hands as soon as I got it on them.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:21 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Not only not get it on your hands, you may as well throw the brush away if you use a brush. Neither paint thinner, gasoline or water will get it out. If you put on two coats like the instruction tell you to, then paint, it will give you many years of rust protection where there used to be rust.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Not only not get it on your hands, you may as well throw the brush away if you use a brush. Neither paint thinner, gasoline or water will get it out. If you put on two coats like the instruction tell you to, then paint, it will give you many years of rust protection where there used to be rust.
you obviously didn't use the gasoline right than, did you! LOL! [sm=badbadbad.gif]

sounds good! now, lemme understand this, does it get sprayed or painted.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:15 PM
EricButler
1st Gear Member

sounds good! now, lemme understand this, does it get sprayed or painted.
You can do it either way. Spraying it though and the overspray will permanently adhere to anything that was in the same room that you sprayed this stuff in. You need something on the floor so you don't get overspray all over the floor. It makes and excellent garage coating too. The stuff has some serious adhesion. I sprayed my hitch on my daily driven 95 Jeep. It has been in some serious snow/salty roads and it is holding up great. It is still like I just painted it. Also you don't thin it any. You just pour it directly into the spray gun and go.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:37 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yeah, I brushed mine on because of the overspray problem. I can also imagine what that crap does to your lungs if you breath it.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:46 PM
EricButler
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Yeah, I brushed mine on because of the overspray problem. I can also imagine what that crap does to your lungs if you breath it.

Yes not good at all!!!

Quick Reply: Rust Bullet -vs- POR 15. Experiences please.