Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

67 fastback (I need help picking engine)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 07:12 AM
67fastback

Default 67 fastback (I need help picking engine)

Hey guys, well im new to this forum. Im in the process of buying a 67 fastback in great shape, but with no engine or tranny etc. That's how I wanted it though.

Ive always been a big mustang fan, but im not a true ford diehard fan or anything. Im actually more familiar with GM so I need your guys help.

Basically im looking for an engine to go into my fastback that will put out around 500hp N/A. I would like to have a enging/tranny setup that would put me in the 12's. Im not looking to make it a drag car, but more of a nice car/fast car setup. I now there's the option of going with the 428 cobra jet, but those things are expensive. Im looking to spend around 6k on the engine maybe a tad more. I need something new also, that looks clean under the hood. Any suggestions would be greatly apreciated.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:13 AM
69fastback302
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 67 fastback (I need help picking engine)

well, if you want a small block you could do what i did and use a bored 302 to 347. i got power and better times then that. big block you could go with a 390, 428, 429, etc. but note, it is possible you would need some bay mods to fit a big big block. ford racing sells engine assemblies that already have that much HP and probably could put you in those times.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:44 PM
67fastback

Do you have like a rough estimate of how much it would cost for the engine bay work to fit a big block.

I went to fordracing.com and I was looking at the big block 466 cubic inch super cobra jet, mainly because of the power it puts out and the price for it compared to some of the small blocks on there website which were more but delivered less power. There was two versions I was looking at, one was 500hp and 495lbs of torque and the other was 550hp and 545 lbs of torque. Does anybody now how the 466 super cobra jet would work in a fastback? Thanks for the help, Adam.

Anybody now of a good tranny to go with this engine?
ORIGINAL: 69fastback302

well, if you want a small block you could do what i did and use a bored 302 to 347. i got power and better times then that. big block you could go with a 390, 428, 429, etc. but note, it is possible you would need some bay mods to fit a big big block. ford racing sells engine assemblies that already have that much HP and probably could put you in those times.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:32 PM
Darrin O

you shouldnt need to modify at all for the big block. 67's came with 390's.

You could do a 351windsor with a stroker kit to 427. The motor should be pretty inexpensive, the stroker kits are about 2000. Mustangsplus.com has ford crate motors that are already built pretty nice with money left over for mods and add ons. Look into doing the five speed tranny too.

Darrin
Old 05-01-2004, 10:00 PM
67fastback

After a little more research im really starting to consider the CHP (Coast High Performance) small block 427 Cobra Classic. Its supposed to make well over 500hp and 500 lbs of torque and still be pretty street drivable. There really expensive though, over 8k.
ORIGINAL: Darrin O

you shouldnt need to modify at all for the big block. 67's came with 390's.

You could do a 351windsor with a stroker kit to 427. The motor should be pretty inexpensive, the stroker kits are about 2000. Mustangsplus.com has ford crate motors that are already built pretty nice with money left over for mods and add ons. Look into doing the five speed tranny too.

Darrin
Old 05-05-2004, 04:14 PM
kenbossy22

Your the kid..heres your candy store http://www.fordcobraengines.com/power.htm

or

http://www.fordcobraengines.com/Power2.htm

tons of high hp crate engines...the highest being the 460c.i. 510hp big block. its got what the packages come with and if u want u can look around see if u find something better..but thats a great site for crate engines fairly cheap.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:28 PM
67fastback

Hey thanks Kenny. Do you now how difficult it would be to put one of those 408's from that website in a 67 fastback?
ORIGINAL: kenbossy22

or

tons of high hp crate engines...the highest being the 460c.i. 510hp big block. its got what the packages come with and if u want u can look around see if u find something better..but thats a great site for crate engines fairly cheap.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:45 PM
kenbossy22

ORIGINAL: 67fastback

Hey thanks Kenny. Do you now how difficult it would be to put one of those 408's from that website in a 67 fastback?
ORIGINAL: kenbossy22

or

I haven't done a swap like that but its just a stroked 351 Windsor so it probably would bolt up to the stock engine mounts. As for the radiator i dont know how well it would squeeze in there ..most likely small modifications that are easy and well worth it. if you want to check out some 67's that might have a 351 Windsor you can check out www.cardomain.com and search ford mustang then 67 ..see what comes up and im sure someone will describe their swap. The best and worst part about mustangs is everyone has one...meaning that no matter what it is its been done before. there are so many parts available and this swap woulndt really be as challenging as an AMC crate engine or something not as popular. Let me know how it turns out ..by the way i would suggest using a 5 spd. from a late model mustang and 3:73 gears ..or if you want more of a racing rear u could go with the 4:10.

good luck
Old 05-06-2004, 03:45 AM
67fastback

Yeah im trying to figure out what kind of tranny im gonna go with too. Which 5 speed do you suggest? Any links to where I can find a good 5 speed for it? I think 3:73's will work for me. Ill probably end up going with either the 408 or the CHP 427 so ill need a tranny that would work well with this setup. Thanks alot for the help. Adam

[/quote]
I haven't done a swap like that but its just a stroked 351 Windsor so it probably would bolt up to the stock engine mounts. As for the radiator i dont know how well it would squeeze in there ..most likely small modifications that are easy and well worth it. if you want to check out some 67's that might have a 351 Windsor you can check out www.cardomain.com and search ford mustang then 67 ..see what comes up and im sure someone will describe their swap. The best and worst part about mustangs is everyone has one...meaning that no matter what it is its been done before. there are so many parts available and this swap woulndt really be as challenging as an AMC crate engine or something not as popular. Let me know how it turns out ..by the way i would suggest using a 5 spd. from a late model mustang and 3:73 gears ..or if you want more of a racing rear u could go with the 4:10.

good luck
[/quote]
Old 05-06-2004, 06:14 PM
kenbossy22

my friend has the 3:73 gears in his 90 gt and that thing with only 225 hp really gets off the line and can lay some rubber down. In my opinion thats the best bet. as for your tranny ..i mean if your not gonna be pushing more than 400 hp ..a t-5 with minimum upgrades could work but anything over that and you'd need something else...i dont know that much about aftermarket transmissions for that application but steeda makes a tranny for their lx sedan that runs 10's ....here....http://www.steeda.ca/s_57.asp?pro=52&c=

i dont know if thats any help but let me know what u end up doing cuz i dont know enough about this type of engine transmission combo.

Quick Reply: 67 fastback (I need help picking engine)