Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Please evalute this '66 I inherited ... pics!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 07:07 PM
Leighky
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Please evalute this '66 I inherited ... pics!

I agree it will take alot of work but it is definetely possible. Don't let some of the comments get you down on this project. This car obviously has a pretty cool story behind it and bringing it back to life will really be worth it in the end.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:27 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

Dont listen to Leighky she dont know...........

J/K She's my wife =)
Old 07-31-2006, 07:30 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

being that it has been in your family since new, it has a great sentimental value. it wont be cheap, even if you buy all parts and do the work yourself. your looking at almost all new metal. god knows what it looks like behind your fenders. almost all new metal, springs in suspension are probably rusted out too. this will cost ALOT of cash.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:16 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

i think we should all post before and after pictures...maybe motivate him...but then again i saw some sweet stangs for sell at the car show for less than 10,000. if there is no personal attachment to the car i wouldnt do it...for me my dad was killed in the line of duty and he was the original owner of my stang. you couldnt buy it off me for 100,000
Old 07-31-2006, 08:47 PM
mkays65

Neat Car - colors are fun - but what about the engine? Was/is there any fluids/oil left in it? Does the gas tank smell ok, like nothing, or like turpentine? To me - it all depends on what you want out of the end of the car - do you want to fix it up to original, or does it have an engine you'd like to mess with? If you just want it for sentimental reasons and to cruise, then you mainly want it to look good, and be safe to drive. I'm working on a 65 restore right now, and everybody here has convinced me to keep it as original as possibly, and rebuild the engine to stock - so for me, it's going to be about a 60/40 split on cash with most going to bodywork/paint. And the vert is in very reasonable condition comparitivley. That said, it's going to cost about 4-5 g for engine/suspension/brake/ work - I've already put 2 g in, and about 5-7g for a nice paint job (probably a little more), plus about 2 g for interior parts/fabric/mags details etc - so that's somewhere between 10-15G total - for a car that end the end is probably going to be worth about 20g. However - like many other people said, I'm never going to get rid of the car, and my "goal" is to have a pristine cruiser, named after my wife's mom - who bought the car new, that my kids will someday drive (and probably wreck at prom, as long as they had a hot date I guess that'll be ok).

But on the practical side - the interior looks to me like water was sitting in the car for a long time, and water - regardless of hurricane or no, sitting in a car for that long is no good. (sorry guys, I'm an architect, who did a lot of study in epidemiology, and this one is veyr scary to me) There is a lot of electrical down there as well that might be shot. Because it's got a top -I agree that the mold is probably everywhere, and to sanitize it is going to take some special kind of cash. You don't want to mess with mold like that, especially if you plan on it becoming a family car, because it will just keep coming back and making you or the little ones sick.

So - here's my suggestion - pull and rebuild the engine, pull all the chrome off of it that you can, pull the steering wheel, radio anything else that can be unbolted and rechromed/polished etc, the grill.... And... Buy another 66 that is in better shape. To me - the engine is the heart/soul of the beast - think of it as the mustang getting a new outfit.

I've got a perfect garage, time, and cash, I've done bondo-work, finishing etc - and if it were me, I would probably farm the work out. It doesn't mean it's any less special. In the end - you're going to love driving it. MUCH luck to you - and your Grandpa! Whatever you decide it will be an adventure. Seriously too - make sure you talk to somebody about that mold, you don't want it to end up messing with your health.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:47 AM
ideal_mustangs
4th Gear Member

I think everyone's over reacting. It looks pretty good to me. Just as long as the frame rails aren't gone, I'd say definatley go for it. Don't worry about the floors. Thats something youre going to have to change in about every mustang. As far as the cowl, unless its rusted out big time and looks bad through the grills I don't think its neccessary to replace. I dind't on mine and I just put a cowl cover on to wash it. No problems. The first think I'd do it pull the vinyl top off though and sand it down to the bare metal and coat it with some por15 or something like that. I'd guess its the worst part of the car.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:11 AM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

The only thing i like is the Pony interior. that car is sorta rare. 289 with vinyl top, and pony interior. About 6% of mustangs had the tops back then. Then add the interior etc. It needs alot of work. I've never seen a dash like that before.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:47 AM
zack

the only thing i can say my car is in lot worse cond. than yours but every day i work on it for 2-3 hours sometimes i just want to quit but i never do.you just have to go and do the damn job.i cant wait to post pic of my rust monster at list u have complete car go for it ----------zack
Old 08-01-2006, 02:08 AM
Twister
5th Gear Member

um, he is in California (going by the plates). He can buy a running, driving V8 coupe that needs a ton less work for $5000. Out here, that car IS a parts car. I have parted cars that needed less work than that
Old 08-01-2006, 02:20 AM
zack

damn let me get ur phone number because i need lots of parts

Quick Reply: Please evalute this '66 I inherited ... pics!