Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

drum brakes, really this bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 09:48 PM
68chicagocoupe

Default drum brakes, really this bad?

I recently purchased a 68 C code coupe, 289 2v, auto

Hoping you guys could help me here. Just purchased my first mustang and I am having a hard time with the braking system. I basically have to stand on the brakes to stop at 20-30mph. I know drums are not discs by any means, but is this how bad they really are? The master cylinder looks to be leaking a very small amount of fluid at the upper gasket. So I am thinking should I replace the master cylinder & drums and hope the braking will improve? Or should I do a front disc conversion? I am also attempting to do this work myself and generally handy but I do not have alot of experience working on cars. The last thing I want to do is jeopardize my life or anyone elses on the road. I am looking at this kit for the conversion http://www.discbrakeswap.com. After reading like crazy on this site the only thing I am really nervous about is reworking the brake lines, I am not sure I could do that very well, but willing to try. Anyone have any tips or thoughts here? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Jason
Old 08-02-2006, 11:03 PM
Gun Jam

Default RE: drum brakes, really this bad?

I had drums all the way around and they were okay, when I switched to front disk pedal force required to stop the car did not change much.

I got the disk conversion from Stainless Steel Brake Corporation for about 800.00, the kit took about 4 hrs to install and required no craftsmanship on brake lines. Im not sure how well those on your link will work.

I’m not sure what you are use to but as far as braking goes but I dont think it requires that much force I would say about 35 lbs of force to lock the wheels but that’s a guess.

Gun
Old 08-03-2006, 12:02 AM
68chicagocoupe

Thanks for your reply.......based on what you said maybe I should change the master cylinder, bleed the lines and rework the rotors. The previous owner stated he did a "break overhaul" and he seemed capable and had a great understanding of this car. LOL 35lbs of pressure is hard to judge for me.....I am suprised to hear that this did not change much. Are you happy you did the conversion at all?
Old 08-03-2006, 12:07 AM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

I'm getting disc brakes. This is a pretty big safety issue. Get the discs, they're an investment
Old 08-03-2006, 12:51 AM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

drum brakes aren't that bad. I first learned how to drive in my stang with all drums. If you grew up driving new cars, with 4 wheel disc, and power brakes, it'll seem alot different. you shouldn't have to stand on them though.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:54 AM
PhillyDog88
1st Gear Member

Mine are manual drum. You cetainly don't want to do a panic stop, but you get use to them and they're ok.
They'll be changed to power disc within the next 2 years for sure.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:57 AM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

yea. You just need to know you got to start stopping alittle bit sooner then you need too.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:04 AM
68chicagocoupe

Based on what everyone has said, there is certainly a problem here. At this point I am having to stand on the brakes.....at 25-30mph with 20 yards I need to use both feet to stop! What should I do guys? Re-work the drums or go for the conversion?
Old 08-03-2006, 01:10 AM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

for now, redo the drums. maybe you have air in the lines. Check the adjustments, and replace that leaky master cylinder.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:12 AM
timber_cruiser

I too have a 68 coupe. I replaced the master cylinder, all brake cylinders, drums, shoes etc. They work well, not as good as a modern disk brake system, but still quite good and do not require too much pedal pressure to stop. I think a new master cylinder would make a difference.

Quick Reply: drum brakes, really this bad?