Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Steering Column Removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 02:18 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

Default Steering Column Removal

I unbolted the bracket which attaches to the dashboard. What else do I have to do in order to get the steering column out?
Old 08-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Rorin67
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Steering Column Removal

Lot's o missing info in that question, but I'll try my best...

If the steering wheel and shaft are already removed, then the only thing left is to unbolt the four large screws from the firewall (from inside the car) and unhook the wiring connector.

If the steering shaft is still inside the steering column, then tell us what you are trying to do and we can work from there.

The early 67s had a one-piece shaft that extends from the serring box throught the column and to the steering wheel - major PITA. Later 67s and later 'stangs have a much better designed two-piece shaft with a detachable rag joint.

Let us know what you are up to!
Old 08-03-2006, 03:16 PM
Gun Jam

There is a chance you can avoid the 4 screw removal, just stick a pry bar between the steering box and the column (you know under the hood by the firewall) and give it a little pry it should slide right out. When I did mine it wouldn’t budge until I gave it a push with the pry bar.

Gun
Old 08-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Rorin67
2nd Gear Member

Hey Gun Jam, great suggestion, but I think you are talking about removing the steering shaft right?

I think 67Sally wants to remove the steering column from the interior. [&:]

So, 67Sally, tell us what you are trying to achieve (just want to paint the column? complete steering system overhaul? installation of rack & pinion? just monkeying around?) and we can help you out!
Old 08-03-2006, 04:48 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

Sorry for the lack of info. The steering wheel is off and I want to remove the column to repaint it.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Gun Jam

Perhaps it is different on the 67, but I was talking about the column.

On my 66 the end of the column fits right up to the steering box and you can pry against the steering box and the very end of the column and that will help it free up. It should take just a little effort, I used a medium sized crobar

Gun
Old 08-03-2006, 06:05 PM
Rorin67
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like it is different on the 67. On the 67, the steering box is about a foot (give or take) away from the firewall, so a crowbar wouldn't help there.

67Sally - the steering column needs to be unbolted from the firewall. Once that is done, the column is now disconnected but the steering shaft is still inside of it. The steering shaft is hard-fixed to the steering box under the hood, so you can't do much with it. Now, you may be able to just slide the column out so that the shaft remains in the car, but when I did that on my 67 all of the bearings and other small pieces INSIDE OF THE COLUMN started floating around, which means that I would not be able to use that column again without the hassle of rebuilding the column. I didn't care when I took mine out though, since I was replacing EVERYTHING with new stuff from the Flaming River rack and pinion steering kit that includes a new column.

All of this sounds like a lot of work and unnecessary hassle to simply paint the column. IMHO, I would leave the column where it is, mask everything in the car really well, and just paint it while it's still in the car. Doing anything more than that may open up a HUGE can of worms that you don't want to have to deal with.

Best of luck - and let us know what you decide and how it turns out!
Old 08-03-2006, 06:07 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the flaming river kit and was it worth it?
Old 08-03-2006, 06:10 PM
Gun Jam

on mine I got just the steering box with built in shaft for about 485.00 I am happy with it, there is no play at all and its very smooth.

My old box wasnt that bad yet but still had some play in it.

Gun
Old 08-03-2006, 06:15 PM
Rorin67
2nd Gear Member

The kit (manual steering) was close to $2k by the time I finished with it, and that's with installing it myself. Honestly, if you have a 3 or 4 speed stick-shift tranny, it's a ROYAL PITA, which made me second-guess my decision to get it. MANY, MANY man hours trying to get the darn thing to fit. If you have an automatic, then it's smooth sailing, but you still may have trouble if you have headers.

My stock power system was toasted - and I mean everything was toasted - so replacing the stock system would have been almost just as much $$$, so I went with Flaming River. I really like it now, so my frustration is slowly going away. If there's nothing wrong, or not much wrong, with your stock system, then IMHO just replace the small things as they are needed and just stick with what you have.

In any event - keep the column in the car and just paint it there - otherwise God only knows what can happen if you take it out!!! []

Quick Reply: Steering Column Removal