Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I am CONFUSED

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 04:57 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

Default I am CONFUSED

ok so i have a bone stock 67 289 coupe and i want to go to Duraspark 2 ignition and i can do it except after studying the wiring diagramn i am confused about the part with the ignition switch i was wondering if someone could clear it up for me its in the top left

i have also been told that using the GM HEI mudule works well also and is alot easier to set up now i am confused even more what should i use
Old 08-09-2006, 04:27 PM
deadcarnahans
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: I am CONFUSED

I like Duraspark II. Use it on many of my engines.

When you crank your engine (S), the ignition switch supplies V+ to the starter relay AND the white wire at the module AND the coil.
I have never connected the white wire as described. Have had no problems starting up with out it. However, it is nessecary to have this V+ routed to the coil during engine cranking.
The red wire receives V+ from the switch in the run position (R) You will have to bypass the resistor wire in your harness to achieve this in a points system.
I did not want to hack up my wiring so I designed a simple MOSFET switch to control a relay which provides direct power to my module as well as the electric choke on my carb. The MOSFET is controlled by the resistor wire circuit and draws no additional current thru the resistor wire.

Your GM sketch makes no sense to me. Surely you want to keep it Ford.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:12 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

IIRC,
the white wire is an input to the logic so that it increases dwell and retards timing while cranking. I've never had an engine that is tempermental on starting, but have heard from others that if you do, using the white wire works.

I like your mosfet idea. Plenty of old amplifiers with one channel blown, to get 'em from.

Brandon, if your engine has always started easy, deadcarnahans is correct. You don't *need* the white wire. Follow the instructions I gave you in the other ignition thread connecting this to the "brown" wire in your diagram. If you need the white input wire, you would connect it to the wire off the "I" terminal of the starter soleniod.

If you need to see pictures of how this is done. There is a thread on hooking up a tach on www.stangnet.com that shows pictures, and has a great write up as well. The positive wire for the tach is hooked up the same as your *brown* wire for the duraspark.

Good luck,
Old 08-09-2006, 09:07 PM
hutchamatic
2nd Gear Member

NO, NO GM parts.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:43 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: hutchamatic

NO, NO GM parts.

well just to let you know Ford and GM both bought parts from each other and used them on their cars cause it was cheaper than manufacturing the parts themselves so your mustang probably had gm parts on it at one time and second the distributor is a duraspark distributor connected to a GM HEI module and the only reason i like it it because they are bout the same cept in size i hooked one up in my friends bronco cause he couldn't afford a duraspark box and the GM HEI modules are only well they were only 17 dollars to get and it ran good really good with a TFI coil and to this day he has had no problems and that was 4 years ago plus its easy to keep an extra module on hand cause they are so tiny the fit in a glove box

plus i know how good DS2 is i have it in my truck with the new module that ford just came out with