Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Embarrasing moment today...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 01:45 AM
PhillyDog88
1st Gear Member

Default Embarrasing moment today...

So since my rear seatbelt install the other week, 4 year old son has been cruising with me everywhere and he tells everyone how cool his daddy's mustang is.

Well at the final soccer game of the season for him tonight, after the game his team was around and other people and the car was a hit. One of those nights when the compliments keep pouring in.. I'm sure everyone gets those sometimes.

Well off we go, everyone watching and...... er. er. er. er. er. er.er. er. er.

Over and over and over she cranks... so I give her more gas....

My son is grinning in the back seat getting ready for the engine to roar.

er.er.er.er.er.er.er.er.er.er.er.....

C'mon.... I flooded the freaking thing. felt so stupid.
Everyone leaving kept asking hey bud... need a boost. "Nah, just flooded it!" I'd yell. Who looks like a high school kid now.
I loved one guy. "hey need a hand?" I say no... just flooded it, and he replies, "oh, well I'll get you a beer while you wait." lol

So no big incident, but a dented pride as my son and I, with our hood up, watched as the parking lot cleared. Then when we were the last car left, and he took his last lick off his popcicle. She roared to life again.
And with that, we enjoyed our cruise home.

Old 08-15-2006, 01:55 AM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Embarrasing moment today...

If you have a strong starter and battery you can over come a flooded engine by holding the throttle wide open until it starts. It is embarassing though isn't it?
Old 08-15-2006, 02:20 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

haha, my friend with a 74 vette always says how his vette is better then my stang, well one day i go to his house, his vette is stripped and has only ran once and was on cindeblocks. he flooded it and could get it started for 2 hours.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:35 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

pump twice and hold it half way
Old 08-15-2006, 05:01 AM
65mojoe
4th Gear Member

The next time it happens, if any of the other dads give you lip you can just say, "well I guess it's easier to flood this thing then that sweet soccer mom mini van you're driving..."
Old 08-15-2006, 02:41 PM
edgars23
1st Gear Member

It happens. Totally sucks when you have friends around or just some people admiring it. When I bought my 68 coupe a few years ago, the same thing happened to me when I took tthe car to friends bbq. And since they were my buddies, I got ribbed pretty good. It does suck for the time you sit there and look dumb, but at least when it fires over, you feel great again.
-Edgar
Old 08-15-2006, 03:00 PM
JenniferJ

I don't have a classic but I picked up a guy for a first date and he was like "wow... awesome GT..." (mine's an 02 black) and we got in and I hit the starter and just wrr wrr wrr wrr wrr... Nothing... I was stuck! I tried until the battery was almost dead then had to admit defeat and get a tow.

Not sure what broke but it was something in the little computer and cost me like $350.00 to fix. Embarrassing though!
Old 08-15-2006, 03:32 PM
crunchyskippy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 67t5ponycoupe

If you have a strong starter and battery you can over come a flooded engine by holding the throttle wide open until it starts. It is embarassing though isn't it?
67t5ponycoupe,

Could you kindly walk me through the physics of "why" this works?? I've heard this suggestion thousands of times before, but have never been able to explain it to myself...

I get dizzy when I try to picture additional fuel being poured into the flooded engine while the pistons are pushing out uncombusted fuel. Obviously I'm missing something, because it does seem to work.

For the record, I will admit to being confused by events MUCH less complex than this.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:34 PM
PhillyDog88
1st Gear Member

I tried the wide open throttle technique last night.... no go, just ended up pouring more fuel in.

Popped open the hood, took air cleaner off and open the carb so it could breath. That helped.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:57 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

If you hold it to the floor, you are not pumping in more gas, just the maximum amount of air to mix with the already flooded engine. Trust me, it works.
I had a similar thing happen to me one time. My nephew just loves my Mustang and he wanted to go with me to the store one afternoon. We jumped in with anticipation, and the damn starter went out. Whhhrrrrrrrr.

Quick Reply: Embarrasing moment today...