Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

restoring chrome

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 07:29 PM
Sean W.
4th Gear Member

Default restoring chrome

hey fellas,

I GOT MY MUSTANG TODAY!!!

i have been working on it since 8:00 in the morning, its 2:30 now. i have done pretty much everything i can do to it with out having to spend any money. i was looking at the guages and the chrome trim around them has lost its...gleam [:@] is there anyway to bring the gleam back. also, it looks like it has carbon build up and it is pitting, looks like lil pimples. anything i can do. i rub on it really hard witha washcloth, that seams to be doing the trick, but you have to push really hard and it gets tiering very fast, and those lil piples still show. any help would be great thanks.

Sean
Old 08-15-2006, 07:32 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

Default RE: restoring chrome

waht is it again?
Old 08-15-2006, 08:08 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Sean, I saw your pic up above. You are a good looking kid. What you have is not chrome, but what they called pot metal back then. You can't get those little pimples out, so stop trying. You can, however, order reproduction parts to replace them, but I wouldn't bother. That just gives your stang some character. Worry about other things first like safe brakes.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:41 PM
Sean W.
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: atomsk680

waht is it again?
I have a 1968 ford mustang coupe, on the motor it saws cobra... not quite sure what that is.. if you want to see pictures go here: http://www.all-model-railroading.co....?topic=3948.15 just scroll down a lil ways and you will see the pics. right now it looks MUCH better. I washed it, put the hub caps on, tore out the passenger seat. vacumed every inch in the cab and trunk, washed the floor mats, got as much rust off as i could, tried to restore some " pot metal " did not go so well. and now I am about to drain the radiator. I have been working 8 stright hours

Soaring, thanks for the compliment. and for the help. I am trying to do as much as possible with out spending anymoney. because I just got it today, i have plenty of work to do.
The car has been sitting around for a while, so I am about to drain the radiator. not sure how that is going to go i have never done that before. predicting a mess though i like getting dirty!
Old 08-15-2006, 09:20 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

On draining the radiator. First, get yourself a gallon of anti-freeze from the auto supply store. Get the green stuff. Get two gallons of distilled water. Now, get an old empty gallon jug. Maybe a milk jug. Mix a 30-70 mixture of anti-freeze and water in that empty and clean jug. After you open up the drain **** at the right botttom of the radiator and drain all the old stuff in a big two or three gallon pan, then start the engine and let it run until the thermostat opens so you can get all the old stuff out of the block. Do not use any acid radiator flush, and do not operate the heater. Keep it closed.
Now put a garden hose in the radiator with the engine running, and the drain **** open. Flush until you see clear water running out the drain ****. Now, close the drain **** after all the water has emtied from your radiator and block, and add the new anti-freeze mixture until the rad is full. Start the engine and allow it to heat up with the rad cap off until the thermostat opens and runs for awhile to get any bubbles out of the system. Put the cap back on and watch your temp gauge. If you don't have a recovery tank, you need to get one.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:00 PM
Sean W.
4th Gear Member

hey fellas,

I just started her up for the fisrt time!!!!!!!! I LOVE MY CAR!!!!!!!!!!!! started right up after sitting for about a year. amazing

did not flush the radiator, my step is being a punk and told me not to, just to get running so we can listen for anything that might be wrong with the engine. we started it up, and to me, my virgine ears, it sounded great, after we killed it i said awsome right, and he said, it sounds like there is a lifter that is sticking, and we had a major transmition fluid leak from the radiator/ transmition oil cooler also.. not perfect, but it runs!
Old 08-17-2006, 12:49 AM
AUTOLITE4300

Sean W. I wish I had your energy man! Remember, restoring an old stang is a journey not a destination. Take your time and do it right. You'll appreciate the car more and more as time goes by. I checked out the photos. Looks like a pretty solid car, I've certainly seen worse. Good luck!