Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Best exaust sound?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 08:14 PM
66 Hardtop 5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Best exaust sound?

Agreed. The biggest pipe I have seen bent up and over the 8" rear is 3" exhaust tubing (I believe flowmaster sells a full 3" exhaust system but it is rediculous $$$). I would say anything sitting around 250-300hp would be fine with 2 1/4".....above 300 I would say 2 1/4"-2 1/2".
[/quote]

Yup, 2 x 2 1/2 will do plenty.
I run my 370hp 5.0 through Hedman longtubes, 2 x 2 1/4" and Hooker Aero chamber mufflers. Seems to work fine..........
Old 08-20-2006, 08:21 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

My stock 289 with iron exhaust manifolds are 2 inch. The Mach1 is 2 1/2" My brother's Ford 250 Power Stroke Diesel truck is less than 4.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:24 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

Probably a stupid question, but are there any problems that come from a rusty exhaust? The exhaust on my Falcon is original and rusted up but it still works fine. Should I look into replacing it? Or just dont worry about it?
Old 08-20-2006, 08:49 PM
66 Hardtop 5.0
2nd Gear Member

don`t worry
Old 08-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

As long as there are no holes in it, then there is no reason to replace it. If you do get holes it, and especially before the muffler, you run the risk of asfixiation from the exhaust coming into the cabin. Just curious. Why are you posting Falcon questions on this classic Mustang site? Not a problem, just curious why you don't post those questions about your Falcon on a Falcon site.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:14 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

As long as there are no holes in it, then there is no reason to replace it. If you do get holes it, and especially before the muffler, you run the risk of asfixiation from the exhaust coming into the cabin. Just curious. Why are you posting Falcon questions on this classic Mustang site? Not a problem, just curious why you don't post those questions about your Falcon on a Falcon site.
I post them here because I am primarily a Mustang guy and am more active in other sections due to my other rides. Plus the 63 Falcon is the same as the early Stangs anyway. I've gone to Falcon forums/sites and they aren't nearly as active as this one. All of the questions I've posted about it are general classic car or general mechanical Falcon/Mustang questions. If it was something specific to my Falcon I would look elsewhere.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:23 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 90lxstang

Probably a stupid question, but are there any problems that come from a rusty exhaust? The exhaust on my Falcon is original and rusted up but it still works fine. Should I look into replacing it? Or just dont worry about it?
The only issue other than leaks is if your stock muffler is clapped out. A lot of times the rust will loosen the internal baffles 'till they bend or come completely loose. Worse case is it plugs up and the back pressure rips open the seam, or you blow out the gaskets/weakest point of the pipe.
It's a very limited danger unless it's falling out or exhaust gasses are leaking into the passenger compartment.
[&:]
Old 08-20-2006, 09:25 PM
19stang66
4th Gear Member

patriot tri-ys to 2.5" flowmaster american thunder system to deltaflow 40 series. That's how mine is setup and I love it! Here are a few videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR3jMhrhJrs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfJ_immhnL0
Old 08-20-2006, 11:01 PM
Homeskillet

I know nothing about cars or exhaust. what would i need to look at if i wanted my exhaust to come out on the side.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:18 PM
65Pony
1st Gear Member

I know some people dont like the drone sound of the flows and my windows are always down because I dont have A/C. So I dont want that loud droneing sound to be a problem, whats the best exaust for a nice sound whyle driving but when you Smash your foot on the pedal your car will almost come to life and make some serious sound?

EDIT: soaring what raven mufflers of the 3 types were you refering to in your previous post, and I went to the goraven.com page and it was down, is there a different website where I can check them out?

Quick Reply: Best exaust sound?