Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

K&N Air filter xtreme!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 07:13 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

Default K&N Air filter xtreme!!!!!

Hey guys, I really love the look of the K&N XTREME!!! (sorry that word is so awesome) air filter. They have them in 14" which is what i have on my mustang now. However I want the height to be about 4 inchs (somewhere around there) The one i have on my car now is about 2, and with the wing nut on there is no thread on the thin sticking out of the carb left.
(whast that thing called?) My question is is that thin with thread that is sticking out of the carb long enough for a 4" filter? I dont think so but maybe there is a way. Hope some one can help i know that is a really really really bad explination and description of that thingy stickin out of the carb with threads....[&:]

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=17469
Old 09-09-2006, 07:19 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: K&N Air filter xtreme!!!!!

It's just a threaded bolt without a head on either end. Go to Ace hardware and take your 2" one with you and tell them you need a 5" or whatever. Better check the deck lid clearance before you get the 4" K&N just to make sure you have the room to fit that fat filter in there.
Better check the spelling on that dude before you buy. X-Steam, not Xtreme.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:25 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

man i preferd to call it xtreme it was so much cooler when it was xtreme [] Thanks on the advice with the threaded bolt, preciate it.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:36 PM
Cannonball888
2nd Gear Member

If you decide to get a 14" with a drop base first make sure it will clear your distributor.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:38 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: EmperorOfChicken

man i preferd to call it xtreme it was so much cooler when it was xtreme [] Thanks on the advice with the threaded bolt, preciate it.
Yeah, X-Stream sounds like a rod and reel you would see advertised in the Field and Stream mag doesn't it? Doesn't quite have that bite needed for a kick butt filter.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:20 PM
65mojoe
4th Gear Member

I've heard these lids are worth it if you have some sort of cowl induction or something along those lines. you probably won't notice much difference unless you are sucking some nice fresh air from the outside.

My girlfriends brother has one on his GTO BBchevy...he said there wasn't much difference. Its more for looks.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:42 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

ya its just looks get a donaldsom blackwing they a 1000X better than k&n its not gauze its a synthetic material and it doesn't let as much crap through
Old 09-09-2006, 10:01 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

well I'm not puttin out much power so it would be for looks, ill look into that black wing, thanks guys appreciate the help...i smell a cowl induction style hood and a new paint job....for christmas... which is only 3 months away!!! [&o]
Old 09-10-2006, 05:29 AM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

I wonder if they make a K&N for the Cobra air cleaner. I bet that would be expensive for a special production made filter.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:46 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Someone educate me regarding the cowl hoods. I think I know what one is, but correct me if I'm wrong. They have the hole in the hood, with a cover over it, and the hole is opened up on the windshield side.....not facing forward. Now, if this is the case, how does the cold air get in if the hole is facing backwards? Wouldn't it make more sense to have the hole facing forward? But then water would come pouring in when it rains I guess. So, my question is what is the advantage of a cowl induction hood over the shaker hood?

Quick Reply: K&N Air filter xtreme!!!!!