Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Engine Switcheroo on a '66 Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 11:30 AM
magiusavvail
1st Gear Member

Default Engine Switcheroo on a '66 Mustang?

I have a '66 Mustang and it has an inline 6 engine. Here's my question:

Would it be dishonorable to put in a newer, better engine?

It sucks for me because I have conflicting interests on whether or not I want to keep this thing as original as possible or just go ahead and make some much preferable changes...
Old 09-25-2006, 12:38 PM
Sean W.
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Engine Switcheroo on a '66 Mustang?

its your car you can do waht you want to it. there are several guys here who have replaced the old motor in their stang and replaced it with a modern engine. its not disshonarable at all, if anything it makes your car more valueable and more reliable once everything is broken in and running smoothly. if you can afford it, go for it!
Old 09-25-2006, 01:08 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Unless you're stang is something that is rare, go for it. Matter of fact, a restomod is more valuable right now then that same car stock. Also, remember that converting a 6 cyl over to an 8 cyl is going to be costly. There are many things that need to be changed including suspension components.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:11 PM
289FB
2nd Gear Member

Your car looks great and if it is all original I will keep it as it is..however it is your car and is your decision of what to do with it..but remember that if some day you decide to sell it most buyers will prefer minimal modifications on a classic...but that is only my opinion
Old 09-25-2006, 01:31 PM
shr
3rd Gear Member

do what you want! if you plan on keeping it make it the way you want it! if you plan on selling it look at the cost of what your doing aginst the cost you plan on selling it at or the money you can get out of the car!
Old 09-25-2006, 02:03 PM
magiusavvail
1st Gear Member

I definitely won't be selling it, that's out of the question. It's just that, from what people keep telling me about the way that the car is now, it brings a certain pride on the fact that I have something that's almost entirely original and classic. But, then again..., I want to go fast and not worry about a rough ride... *is so indecisive [>:]*
Old 09-25-2006, 02:04 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

drop that I6 and get a 302!

i didnt have much of a choice to keep mine original, i dont have the original engine.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:58 PM
magiusavvail
1st Gear Member

I really want to.
I guess it wouldn't be such a bad idea to slap on a more powerful engine... I'll have a lot of time to think about it, though. Don't have nearly enough for a new engine. [8D]
Old 09-25-2006, 06:03 PM
nuts4fords

I would convert it over, I have a 66 GT that I am going to swap a 351 cleveland into and there will not be much at all stock left of my car.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:40 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Start by switching the suspension over to what you'll need under the V8. That can be done in sections, so the cost can be spread out better.

For example:

Swap to an 8" rear end (unless you plan over 400hp...then go 9"). You'll need new u-bolts and probably spring plates (not the mounts on the axle...make sure your axle has those). If you have the money at the time, change the rear springs/shocks. But, the old ones would work fine for a while. Just get some cheapo steel wheels (factory) and you'll have the 5-bolt axles and still use the stock hubcaps to match up to the front.

The swap the front end to some better arms and disc brakes.

Then, start saving up for that V8/tranny swap.

Quick Reply: Engine Switcheroo on a '66 Mustang?