Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Mod it or leave it? It's up to you!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 02:04 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Room 4 Everyone

ORIGINAL: Sean W.

I am going to mod my car.... whne i can get a job and can afford to do the changes that i want to do i am going to change the hood, change the trunk lid, change the transmission, change the wheels ( something like Mojoes ) , get modern guages, get a front spoiler, new skirt etc etc. i like the classic look with modern performance. the modern look just does not look good to me, to curvy, thats why i like the mustang over teh camero :P

BTW some of you may be wondering why i cant get a job, im only 15 years old....

im glad im 18 and have a pretty good job, for part time that is

i want a muscle car from the 60's/70's and give it a little more modern touch.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:28 AM
65mojoe
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

I guess everybody has their ideas about what a classic Mustang is. But, my idea of what a classic Mustang is, is that it is as close to factory original as is possible. If it is not factory original, it is not a classic Mustang. It is a bastard if you heavily mod it. Changing the body configuration such as the movie version with the Eleanor and adding engines and other power enhancements are not what the Classis Mustang is all about. The operative word here is "Classic." You restomod guys can do all you want to make your ride better for your application, but you can never take that classic back to its original Classic condition if you heavily mod it. We are not talking about Shelby Mustangs, so don't give me the sermon about how Carroll changed the basic Mustang.
Bastard is a little harsh Glen, at least refer to it as a Bastard Mustang Mustangs, original or restomodded to the max, are still Mustangs.

Keep in mind, people who do restomodding right (the operative word here is "right") NEVER forget what they are starting with-- A Ford Mustang. When I did my car, even with my mind set on modernizing a 65, I always made sure that there were elements on it that clearly said "65 mustang".
Old 09-30-2006, 05:36 AM
Sean W.
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 65mojoe

ORIGINAL: Soaring

I guess everybody has their ideas about what a classic Mustang is. But, my idea of what a classic Mustang is, is that it is as close to factory original as is possible. If it is not factory original, it is not a classic Mustang. It is a bastard if you heavily mod it. Changing the body configuration such as the movie version with the Eleanor and adding engines and other power enhancements are not what the Classis Mustang is all about. The operative word here is "Classic." You restomod guys can do all you want to make your ride better for your application, but you can never take that classic back to its original Classic condition if you heavily mod it. We are not talking about Shelby Mustangs, so don't give me the sermon about how Carroll changed the basic Mustang.
Bastard is a little harsh Glen, at least refer to it as a Bastard Mustang Mustangs, original or restomodded to the max, are still Mustangs.

Keep in mind, people who do restomodding right (the operative word here is "right") NEVER forget what they are starting with-- A Ford Mustang. When I did my car, even with my mind set on modernizing a 65, I always made sure that there were elements on it that clearly said "65 mustang".
amen to that brotha....
Old 09-30-2006, 09:43 AM
chillininnh
2nd Gear Member

To simplify my point what I'm saying is everyone here is in effect preserving their mustangs one way or another. I have yet to meet anyone here who is destroying their mustang purposely, this is a very good thing. We as a community are helping to ensure more of these cars are around in the future. BTW, most mods are very easily reversed by a future owner who may prefer the original style. My car will be far from original when finished, but it is a totally rust free, very well rust protected classic mustang without a single permanent modification which should be around for a very long time. What the hell is wrong with that??[8D]
Old 09-30-2006, 10:46 AM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chillininnh

My car will be far from original when finished, but it is a totally rust free, very well rust protected classic mustang without a single permanent modification which should be around for a very long time. What the hell is wrong with that??
That brings up a question I've been meaning to ask. If you make small modifications and CAN bring it back to the original, does that still make it stock?

When I was having some work done on mine a while back, I told the person working on it I did not want him to do something as it would change it from stock. He then informed me that as long as you can remove what you added, it will still be stock. (He's an old Mustang fan with a '70 in his garage).

I don't really look "down" on anyone who mods their car, but I just like the classic lines, classic colors, and classic looks. I've seen some amazing cars at shows and some that had me cringing.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:21 AM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Well said man..

ORIGINAL: THUMPIN455
I cant stand to have anything stock. Especially a 50-60s era vehicle, there are very good reasons we dont all drive around on red line bias ply tires. There are even better reasons why new cars dont have drum brakes, most not even in the rear. Sure its nice to have one just like it came off the showroom, but its also nice to have one that you can actually drive.

Cars were built for what? Transportation. How does a car serve its purpose if it sits in a garage and rides a trailer? Sure some are quite rare, but they should still be driven, albeit sensibly.

Now there are things I dont agree with doing, like taking a nice relatively original car such as a Mach1, Torino or GTO and cutting it up to turn it into a 4x4, or dropping a 6 cylinder from a skyline in it just to be different. Some things annoy or disgust me but in the end, its their car not mine. Another very annoyoing thing is someone walking up to me and telling me I shouldnt have headers, or or it has the wrong tires, or it shouldnt have that alternator or those heads on it..

If you like chalk mark restos and show cars, hey I think thats cool. I can appreciate the time effort and money that goes into a resto of tha caliber, but please dont rip on me because my car is the wrong color, has too wide of radial tires, headers, or something else that isnt stock. Not everyone wants a modified car, not everyone wants a stock car, not everyone wants a fast or even interesting car. (ie anyone who owns civic or prius..) Some of us enjoy workin on the car daily, or weekly, some of us enjoy changing 15 things just to make one thing work right that wasnt there before. Some of us just like to put gas in and check the oil once a month.

Its all good as long as you understand that everybody isnt like you are and they dont think the same or like the same things you do..

One thing that is bad all around though, is bad info. Someone writes something down, people who have no clue take it as law, and then ittakes on a life of its own. Then you have to fight against a whole train of thought based on a bad idea to begin with. There are many ways to achieve the same thing with cars, but some things are only possible in the movies..
Old 09-30-2006, 11:23 AM
slickman
5th Gear Member

I guess that makes you and me Bastards along with most of the guys here.......

ORIGINAL: 65mojoe

Old 09-30-2006, 03:13 PM
Decurion
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Mod it or leave it? It's up to you!

Ideally, I like to look at the original intent of the car in question, in this case the Mustang. It was designed as a performance car for the masses. It was designed (this is my interpretation) to be a good all around performer in the corners, with some creature comforts, good styling, practical (<~camaro take notes here), and somewhat of an emphasis on straight line performance. So to me, adding things like disc brakes, bigger wheels, shelby drop, mustang II front end, rack and pinion, 9", 8.8", overdrive, stroker engines, fuel injection, air conditioning, leather seats, etc etc etc is all in keeping with the cars original design intent- when applied properly. Not to say that making it into a dedicated corner burner is wrong, or a dedicated 1/4 miler is wrong, but whatever you do, DRIVE THE DAMN THING! Having your car sit in a garage collecting dust, or worse sitting outside rotting away was never in its original design intent.

Ive seen a sign at car shows that I like, it goes: If you see this car on a trailer, call the police, because its STOLEN!, which seems to pretty much sum up my automotive philosophy. [/end sermon]
Old 09-30-2006, 04:21 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Right on with driving the thing. If mine are on a trailer, they are broke or they are headed to the drags. I dont enjoy driving the cars 100+ miles on slicks with open headers, and I like to bring my tools along.. Stock is often okay. But I dont turn my back on technology, however I wont run out and buy a new gadget or gizmo just because I can or its available. No need for GPS, I can navigate with a map, compass, or by the stars. No need to have a tv screen in my headrests, the kids have a portable DVD player for the long trips we make, and I dont need it unless the kids are with me.

I dont change thing just to change things. I only change what needs improved or repaired. To me its all about function, if it doesnt help the car go faster, or run better in some way, I dont need it. Only have two vehicles with AC... the F150 and the 98 Formy, because they had it when I got them and it still works.

One thing I do enjoy is looking stone stock, down to the airfilter and carb, but haulin azz. Imagine if you will, a car that looks like glens, sounds like it, is its clone in every external way possible, but underneath lies something muchmore menacing... something vile vicious and evil (not my ex wife either) something that will run a low 11 to a mid 10 in the 1/4 but drives around like its Glen and the missus out to get a loaf of bread, a fridge pack, and some chips..

Painted valve covers conceal the full roller rockers and roller cam, the stock oil pan hides the stroker crank, the air cleaner assembly looks like the stock two barrel but hides a race bred carb, everything about this car says, dont look at me, I am just sittin here minding my own business... no flash, no nonstock chrome, no badges stickers or guages pokin out everywhere, nothng race looking at all anywhere you look... but it will stomp the guts out of a tubbed with 32x15" slicks, two carbs through the hood, roll cage, chromed everything, shiny paint, and loud exhuast wanna be at the drags.. [the engine for the latest one of these I am building is in the shop right now. If you want to know what it is and what the plans are, just ask.. its a Pontiac though].

The best of both. What I do inside my engine is my business.. even if I want it sleepy and lookin like Glens machine.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:21 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Bro, sorry to burst the bubble.. But the Mustang was not a performance car for the masses. Ford wanted a inexpensive car that looked good and everyone could buy. They werent out to build something like the GTO, where the bigger engine is what made it sell. They wanted a car that anyone could own. Think Model T, Ford has always had at least one car that people can afford to buy and drive, on even a college students budget. In 64, the Mustang was it. Its based on the Falcon, and that is not performance minded at all in 64. 4 lug wheels many had no swaybars, skinny tires, I6's 13" tires.. all economy items.

The best part about Early Mustangs, Falcons, Fairlanes and the like are they are small, light and will take a V8 pretty easy. Sure a small V8 but its a light car. Performance was an after thought with the Mustang. Only after the GTO started selling well did the Mustang get performance enhancements. Before you think I am sayin the GTO is better than the Mustang, think about this. There were more mustangs built between its introduction and 67 than all the GTO's combined, including the new ones. It didnt take long for the millionth mustang to be built. It took the Corvette 30+ years of production to build 1 million.

Performance cars dont sell to everyone, but a nice lookin car that has economy and performance potential or options will sell to many more. How many new V6 stangs do you see running around compared to the GT's and Cobras?

"You can sell a young mans car to an old man, but you cant sell an old mans car to a young man." - Bunkie Knudsen.

Quick Reply: Mod it or leave it? It's up to you!