Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I want your opinions on what tires/wheels should I get!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 12:05 AM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

Default I want your opinions on what tires/wheels should I get!!!

Ok, I know there have been threads about different tires sizes, types of wheels, and all that stuff.

But I want to post one of my own pertaining to my own car.

I have a 1964 1/2 coupe, and I don't want to go with thin stock tires and hubcaps, I want rims.

Now, I need your collective opinions because you guys are expert Stang owners (I'm more of a newbie) and are cool ***** as well.

My favorite Stang store is Mustang Plus outta California.

Here's what they have:

Mustang Plus Wheels

Which ones you guys like most for a 64/65 coupe?

Also, explain to me the different sizes of wheels and the appropriate tires that go along with them.

Example, what look does a 15x6 have?

A 17x7?

18x8?

...and how about spacing?

3.5, 4, 5, etc...?

Oh, and what combo, all the same size, smaller front, bigger back???

Oh, oh, oh, oh, and what do you guys think of white lettering on tires?

No lettering, lettering, red lines, white lines, no lines, all black?

Questions, questions, questions...

Thanks!

Hector

Old 10-11-2006, 12:14 AM
chillininnh
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: I want your opinions on what tires/wheels should I get!!!

Check out these links I think they may help alot, especially with sizing.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techar...ge_wheels_fit/

http://www.dodgestang.com/Tire%20Fit...ide%2065-6.pdf

If it were my ride I would go with the 65 styled steel wheel, very classy without overdoing it.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:24 AM
19stang66
4th Gear Member

oh boy, another wheel thread. Check out the picture forum here on MF and see what other classics have. I personally have 17x8" chrome bullitt wheels on my 66 coupe. 18's are too big for 64-66 body styles and they won't fit without modifications.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:26 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

For the 64, I would stick with a classic design wheel such as the Style Steel or the Mag 500's. Now, as far as tires, I am running just about the fattest tire for that period. 195-70-14. My mag 500's are 14X7. If you want anything other than the classic look, then American Racing makes some nice looking rims, but to me, they just don't fit on a classic Mustang.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:38 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Well here's some information that may not have been covered...yet.
You really want round ones. Not round like a ball, more like donut round. Nylon ply is known for getting flat spots when cold. Like a donut that has been stood up before it cooled off correctly. Radial tires have a tendency for the contact patch to move rearwards with speed, kind of like how the frosting mushes out when you roll your donut on a napkin. For that reason (and others), when going to radial tires you want to increase your caster. Not Castor like the oil my grandma used to put in really disgusting donuts when I was a kid.
Another thing, tire pressure is really important. Just like how hot your temper flares when you finally get to bite into that cream filled Maple bar that wasn't filled properly, so will the tires in your car get hot if not properly filled with air. In fact they can get so hot they blow!
Well, I'm getting hungry and pretty much every other angle has been covered in lots of threads before. In fact so many threads it would be like trying to count sprinkles on a chocolate covered standard.
DOH! ...nut

Good luck,
Old 10-11-2006, 12:39 AM
mike68
1st Gear Member

torque thrust d's 15x7 or you could put on some awesom weld drag wheels like i have by the way does anyone want to buy those from me (the front wheels in the sig pic)
Old 10-11-2006, 01:04 AM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chillininnh

Check out these links I think they may help alot, especially with sizing.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techar...ge_wheels_fit/

http://www.dodgestang.com/Tire%20Fit...ide%2065-6.pdf

If it were my ride I would go with the 65 styled steel wheel, very classy without overdoing it.

Man, thanks for that first link, awesome!!!

Guess I'm pretty much sold on the 15x7 thanks to your link.

The Steel Style Wheels are pretty cheap in price as well, a lot cheaper than the Torques.

Thanks again!

Old 10-11-2006, 01:06 AM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 19stang66

oh boy, another wheel thread. Check out the picture forum here on MF and see what other classics have. I personally have 17x8" chrome bullitt wheels on my 66 coupe. 18's are too big for 64-66 body styles and they won't fit without modifications.
Sorry about "another" wheel thread, but like I said, it's MY wheel thread.

Does chrome steel rust? How about chrome aluminum?

Old 10-11-2006, 01:09 AM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

For the 64, I would stick with a classic design wheel such as the Style Steel or the Mag 500's. Now, as far as tires, I am running just about the fattest tire for that period. 195-70-14. My mag 500's are 14X7. If you want anything other than the classic look, then American Racing makes some nice looking rims, but to me, they just don't fit on a classic Mustang.
I think Steel Style might be the ones then.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:10 AM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scott H.

Well here's some information that may not have been covered...yet.
You really want round ones. Not round like a ball, more like donut round. Nylon ply is known for getting flat spots when cold. Like a donut that has been stood up before it cooled off correctly. Radial tires have a tendency for the contact patch to move rearwards with speed, kind of like how the frosting mushes out when you roll your donut on a napkin. For that reason (and others), when going to radial tires you want to increase your caster. Not Castor like the oil my grandma used to put in really disgusting donuts when I was a kid.
Another thing, tire pressure is really important. Just like how hot your temper flares when you finally get to bite into that cream filled Maple bar that wasn't filled properly, so will the tires in your car get hot if not properly filled with air. In fact they can get so hot they blow!
Well, I'm getting hungry and pretty much every other angle has been covered in lots of threads before. In fact so many threads it would be like trying to count sprinkles on a chocolate covered standard.
DOH! ...nut

Good luck,

Quick Reply: I want your opinions on what tires/wheels should I get!!!