Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Butchering a Classic

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 07:02 AM
whoafrdofdapolce
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Butchering a Classic

yea i do alot of mods, i have a fuel injected 5.0 and t5 tranny in my 66 but i havent done anythign that cannot be easily reversed. personaly i think once you start doing things you cant un do then you better at least be shure you know what your doing. but if everyon kept everything bolt on car shows would be alot more boring...
Old 10-13-2006, 08:41 AM
mach 1

It is all about personal expression. That is why we are in the car hobby, right? There were so many mustangs built and many will never have a significant value. Some love to keep them all original. Some love to make them better. You should build the car you have always dreamed of. There is more than enough room in the hobby for all kinds.

My idea of a perfect Mustang in one that has been updated with modern everything. Have you seen or read about the SN65 project? That is my idea of a perfect match.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:13 AM
72rustang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rcdblink716
This has been on my mind lately. I take my car to a lot of shows and most of the old Ford guys give me a hard time. On one hand, I feel like the mustang is meant to be a performance car, meant to be modified. On the other hand, every time i pick up a wrench and start messing with my stang, i kind of feel guilty. The car is, after all, a classic. Let me know what ya'll think.
I think that's almost a sort of curse in owning an old mustang. Whether or not these cars were perceived as muscle cars / race cars back in the day, they are perceived that way now, even though not all would qualify as a muscle car or race car. I think our competitive instincts tend to make many of us try to build the old cars to be able to compete with the new cars.

I like originals as much as I like restomods. I tend to think right now that if you have a clean, fairly complete, original car, then keep it that way. Pretty soon there aren't going to be many original classics left. But I see absolutely no problem in doing whatever you want to do to make your car a better performing car either. To me it's exactly the same as buying a brand new car and immediately bolting on parts to make it handle better, stop better, go faster. Everyone has their own idea of where the line should be drawn though...

BTW I think you are far enough down the path of darkness to just keep doing whatever you want to do to your car.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:40 AM
Ste7of1
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rcdblink716
... On one hand, I feel like the mustang is meant to be a performance car, meant to be modified. On the other hand, every time i pick up a wrench and start messing with my stang, i kind of feel guilty. The car is, after all, a classic. Let me know what ya'll think.
I think Carrol Shelby knew the answer to that question in 1965. Now if you have a Shelby I would say leave it alone, otherwise, there is a place for both, do what makes you proud to be a Mustang owner.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:48 AM
BakoLuke
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mach 1

My idea of a perfect Mustang in one that has been updated with modern everything. Have you seen or read about the SN65 project? That is my idea of a perfect match.
I love the SN65 project...the only thing i wouldve done different was keep the classic interior.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:52 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I prefer to keep my classic stock. Whenever I want to go fast, I jump in my 03 Mach 1. I would have to spend more on the classic to make it as safe and powerful as the Mach, as I have in the Mach. It just doesn't make sense to take a perfectly good classic and make a bastard out of it.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:43 AM
MC
2nd Gear Member

I know this is the second time i posted this car but here if you haven't seen it.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/featu...fastback_kona/

This car is heavily modded, custom fab work ect./ Now, if any of those guys givin you a hard time think this car is just stupid, and wrong and no,.................then there idiot's. As long as everything stays in good taste(which it seems you have)then roll with it. Factory, Restomod there all beautiful machines. Just dont trailer your car everywhere you go, She's ment to be driven and drive the hell out of her i will!
Old 10-13-2006, 12:20 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I think that's almost a sort of curse in owning an old mustang. Whether or not these cars were perceived as muscle cars / race cars back in the day, they are perceived that way now, even though not all would qualify as a muscle car or race car. I think our competitive instincts tend to make many of us try to build the old cars to be able to compete with the new cars.
No doubt! I would hate to have a 170 or 200 ci classic cuz ever ricer in town would be like "I tore up a hot rod last night..."
Old 10-13-2006, 01:05 PM
Jamison
1st Gear Member

I think if your car is valuable Ie shelby etc it might be a sin to mod it but if your like me owning a 64 1/2 coupe built in late july of 64 that isnt too valuable I say mod away as long as it is done with taste and quality work. the purists and old ford people may blast your car but your the one driving it. i got blasted pretty bad by someone at a cruise in. he tried to tell me it wasnt origional engine he said it came with a six cylinder and started argueing with me when told him the eninge was origional.he said it was worth more all origional... i asked him worth more to whom? far as im concerned its what its worth to me as im not going to sell it.
about the only mods i would say dont do are sunroofs... you want a sunroof get a vert! but its your car.. I would also say putting a diesel engine in a classic mustang is a huge no no but im sure someone somewhere has done it. (god i hope not lol)
Old 10-13-2006, 01:20 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: andrewmp6

the way i look at it unless its a rare car do what you want with it atomsk680 i have a import and a truck i get slack from alot of people they shut up fast when they cant keep up with me

dont you love it?